Masterpiece Soundwave Questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by the12sean, Aug 15, 2016.

1. the12sean

the12sean Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

I've wanted a masterpiece Transformer for a few years, and I think I can finally afford one. I got my eye on Soundeave and I just had a few quick questions I figured the experts could answer!

1. How many versions are there and which would you recommend?
    I know there's Takara and Hasbro versions and some variations, but what makes them different and which is the best?

2. What is a good price for him? I see him going for upwards of 300, but I feel like that's high.

3. Is now the time to buy or will he get reissued or something and end up cheaper or better?

Thanks for any and all help!!

2. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Resident Asshole

News Credits:
    If the cassettes are equally important, opt for the Hasbro version as it comes with 5 ($300-$400). Otherwise, get Takara's /w Lazerbeak for $200 or buy Soundblaster /w Ratbat for $160.

I wouldnt bet on anything getting a reissue....thus, the longer you wait, the more you can expect to pay. (Im still holding out hope for a Buzzsaw +Frenzy reissue as theyre the only 2 MP's missing from my collection)

Also, be wary of anything you arent buying from a reputable business as there are knockoffs everywhere

3. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

The differences from Takara to Hasbro are...

Hasbro's version comes with all 5 Cassettes, you have to separately buy the Takara cassettes except Laserbeak...or is it Buzzsaw... He only comes with one bird from Takara.
    Soundwaves visor is Red on Takara, Yellow on Hasbro
    Rumble and Frenzy have chrome chest details from Takara
    And I believe the cassette cases and Energon cube attachment of the Takara are Pink.

As far as a reissue, there has been no word whatsoever if it's ever going to happen, not sure if he'll see a reissue. And if you can find a good price on the Hasbro, you'll likely get a better deal than on the Takara... As to a good price...not sure... But MP10 hung around $300 until he was reissued by Hasbro Asia a couple years back, and then Takara followed... But that's not saying he will be reissued, why he hasn't... I don't know.

As far a KO, I don't believe he's ever been KO'd, so, you shouldn't have to worry about that with him...but I'd check on that first.

4. the12sean

Great answers, thank you both! Looks like I'm gonna have to keep saving, but maybe by then he'll go down in price!

5. TheDecepticon

News Credits:
  6. the12sean

7. the12sean

So then I'm gonna wanna try to import this new Asian one because that would be cheapest, right?

8. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Most likely.

9. TheDecepticon

News Credits:
    Shipping is gonna be expensive but it should still be easier and cheaper in total than trying to get one at a reasonable price domestically.

10. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shame about the yellow eyes, but I guess they're fixable, with stickers, paint or Nonnef. I still don't have a Soundwave and this will do.

11. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I have both Hasbro and Takara and I prefer the yellow visor one. Not sure why.

Glad this worked out for you!

12. dgold93

dgold93 Rainmaker

Well since this just so happens to be my favorite figure of all time I'll chime in.

First off, are you looking to go MISB or do you just want the figure? Forget ebay because you will get bent over on this figure. Frequent the for sale forums on here, you will find much better prices on MP Soundwave and deal with people that are actually into collecting.

I just bought him last week from an awesome user of who's name I won't disclose. Got him loose for $110 USD shipped with Lazer beak and accessories. Figure came mint, i got extremely lucky. No box, no cares.

The disadvantages of using this site is you will have to wait for someone to post him for sale as opposed to just going on ebay and seeing 50+ for sale at any given moment. He does not go up for sale often. You can drop a line in the wanted threads and list MP Soundwave one of your wants and see what offers you get.

With that out of the way, there is of course MP 13 Takara Soundwave and Hasbro version. I actually bought the Hasbro version when it first came out and sold it last year. He was a great value when I bought him retail, but now that he goes for $400-500 dollars forget it. There's also YOTG Soundwave, Hasbro released within 2 years ago. He's translucent and has a funky color scheme, but if you want to at least own the mold (and all cassettes) he's going now for around $140 dollars. Again, he looks kind of blah but not a terrible deal for this figure and his cassettes, with some (or a lot) of paint he could be the Soundwave you've always wanted.

Hope that helps, PM me if you want a full buyers guide to Soundwave. :) 

*Edit* the red visor on the Hasbro release is not the end of the world. In the event you ever found a good deal on him I would take it without hesitation. When I had my Hasbro version, I disassembled the head and with a little testors modeling paint and a clear finish, I got his visor to the correct red. Took less than 20 minutes and it looked awesome.

13. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:
    I don't think anyone mentioned this, but the inside of the foot on Hasbro is unpainted white plastic, whilst on Takara it matches the silver on the rest of the foot.
    And Hasbro has an annoying CE printed on it.

14. dgold93

dgold93 Rainmaker

Hasbro also used plastic volume control buttons and on off switches. Takara used metal.

15. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not true. I have my Takara in on my desk and it has a plastic volume control and on/off switch.

Also all this talk about the ebay price on this guy is a little inflated. The Hasbro one goes for about $250 per current closed auctions, not $400. Still twice retail, but not abysmal.

16. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its unpainted light grey plastic, not white.

17. Razorquake

Razorquake Well-Known Member

He's getting (in Asia at least) a reissue in december

18. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

Just last night I said that...

And now...

Yeah, how about that... Good, glad to finally see him reissued for those who missed him, very likely this will trump any Takara reissue as far as value since he has 5 cassettes instead of just one.

19. atomD21

atomD21 Not made of sterner stuff...

I was hoping beyond hope that a reissue would happen! Cannot wait to get that guy!

20. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

The differences between Hasbro's and Takara's Soundwave (standard deco) as far as I know is the yellow visor for Hasbro vs red for TT, the inside of the foot pieces being unpainted on Hasbro's vs silver on Takara's making the foot more uniform, and an info stamp on Hasbro's leg. Aside from that they're pretty much the same and quality-wise I think they're even.
    The upcoming Hasbro Asia reissue is bound to be more expensive than the retail was but cheaper than the secondary market (I was lucky to mine for $155 but I assume the rerelease is going to be around that or $160 or something). Comeing with 5 tapes is a good deal with the Hasbro one.
    There's also the Year of the Goat Soundwave from Hasbro which is kind of fugly but cheap and comes with five tapes as well as an option.
    Personally I like Soundblaster the best and he comes with Ratbat. Not sure how much he goes for but it's an option and a sexy one at that.
    I say go for the upcoming rerelease.