Masterpiece Slag

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Wikkid, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

This was a failed entry for the Sector 70 Dinobot contest. I just got too busy to finish it in time. If you haven't voted, please vote before it ends.

Anywho, it's primarily made of junk I had lying around. Mostly built from various MP Prime parts and Primus scraps and a bunch of styrene. It's scaled to stand as tall as MP Grimlock. I cannot confirm this as I no longer have one but I am using the MP Hot Rod as a comparison figure. (Should be close).

I wanted to experiment with articulation on this one. The dino head will have side to side movement as well as the ability to look up and down. The robot mode allows for his arms to not only have MP Primes regular movement but will allow him to grab his other shoulder as though wounded. (But yeah, who wants a wounded Dinobot, right? We'll just pretend he keeps some energon goodies in over there.) Another first was to create articulation in the gut. Slag can bend over and try to touch his toes. The head and crest also has the ability to slide back and forth as well as tip to different angles.

*Update* Final primer stage and transformation on page 5.

Attached Files:

• Slug.jpg
      Slug.jpg
      File size:
      180.3 KB
      Views:
  2. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

gonna definately be bigger than MP grimlock, by the looks of him. not like that matters, this is looking awesome. So glad to see you still bringing amazing builds to the table.

3. Wikkid

[​IMG]

Here's a scale reference image. His leg length will be shortened as the lower leg is overall moved up covering the knee joint. The feet in the image aren't the actual feet either. This image is prior to the MP Prime body being narrowed.

4. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

Cant wait to see your take on this. there's a couple WIPs in the radicons, but I know you'll bring some unique/awesome takes on this build. LOVE it!

5. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Holy frag... all thos MP's butchered ?? that drives up the costs like crazy right?
    anyways... love to see you work ur magic bro!

6. stinky

stinky Member

That is looking really good. I have to find some of that fusor stuff. How did you make the head?

7. Buzby74

Buzby74 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Great start. Its making my mouth water

Cant wait to see more!

8. wan_de_real

wan_de_real Transformizer

Ebay:
    Wikkid.......Today is the one happiest day of my life to see you "come back" brutha....

double maturity and awesomeness..really like the dino head...accurate and clean...Im thinking to built this too sumtime..please carry on yur superb marvellous MP works...were lack of em' here:) 

9. Wikkid

The head is from a Primus figure. I've got a tutorial in the works on building heads which includes this one.

Been busting my ass rescaling this to MP Grimlock height. The arms have been shortened and narrowed. The legs have been boxed in. The abdomen has been shortened. The dinobot neck is in place allowing alot of movement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Wikkid

Been super busy so I haven't done alot of kitbashing. I did have a few hours this weekend to get some work done on the arms and redesigned the chest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^^The dino feet are articulated to keep his feet square on the ground. Step back.

[​IMG]
    ^^Step forward.

[​IMG]
    ^^I chose to go a different route with the chest. Slag is originally all rounded and I wanted to add some edges to that basic shape. This also allows for some sweet details to be added which should look pretty good when I find someone to paint this thing for me. I've decided this'll make for another good collaboration project so I'll be scouting some great painters.

11. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

great update!

12. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Glad to see that you're not scrapping him because of the missed deadline of that contest. This looks like it's going to be killer when he's done. Do you know what color scheme you're going with on him? G1, G1 cartoon, G2 colors?

13. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    This looks awesome, I'm totally in awe at you guys that can make these things out of a few spare parts and a tonne of styrene detailing. Can't wait to see it painted.

Does this already have a home or is it an eBay job?

14. Buzby74

Buzby74 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Its really nice to see this coming alog so well. im sure if it was finished for the dinobot challange contest that it would have beat my MP Slag.

I wasnt keen on the square arms at first, thats way i did away with it. but what you have done here is coming aong just great.

I second the question; Is this a place somewhere or will it be on Ebay?

15. Wikkid

Did some more work on this one.
    Had to shorten him up again to keep the scale correct with the other Mps and added fully articulated feet. His new robot feet allow for side to side movement as well as rotation. Back and forth movement is limited but still there. The rear dino legs are in place and fold behind and within the robot leg giving him a trimmed profile.
    The robot arms are now complete. The final rolled edge is in place and filled. The basics of his gun are complete and I added a shoulder rocket which was only seen on the toy as an added bonus option.
    The Triceratops is coming together with the basics of his hind legs in place. The dinos head has a ball jointed neck allowing for alot of movement up and down and side to side. The entire neckplate is on a floating system allowing the mouth to move freely with the head so his mouth can be closed or opened when looking around.

Attached Files:

16. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

Lovin the update!

17. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    thats pretty nuts wikkid

he looks great!

18. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    Looking awesome so far Mark. I love your wips. So informative.

19. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is definitely staring to look great.

20. Wikkid

Got the concept for his legs planned. One is done and ready for primer, the other just needs filler.
    Using a "Fender" like design, I made his dino legs tuck into the body when in Triceratops mode to give it a heavy duty "tank" feel. When he transforms to robot mode, you can see more detailing underneath to give the impression he's more vulnerable in robot mode. (As the Dinobots are)

A shot of the side shows he's still managed to keep a narrow profile in relation to his Whiskey barrel design. From the front he still retains a slim profile. His robot feet sit atop the Triceratops back but rotate and roll under the leg to form a fully articulated foot for robot mode. (Which also reveals more robot tech)

Prior to this week, I had never seen Slags sword and was surprised at how it looked. Grimlocks sword had a very tech vibe to it and Slags appeared too organic in it's flow.......so, I altered the hilt into a more mechanical variation while retaining the basic shape.

Last image shows this d00ds gonna be a bulldozer of power.

Also, the painter for this project will be another of my favorite customizers with Stormbringer85 taking over after the primer stage. It's a great honor for me to have Spurt and Stormbringer add the final magic to these projects. I appreciate it d00ds.

Attached Files: