Minor/Repaint: Masterpiece Skywarp repaint

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Deckard, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Deckard

Deckard "Time to die"

Hi all,
    This is my first post so be kind:wink: . Just thought I would share some pics of my repainted Skywarp. There was nothing wrong with the original - I just didn't like the shiny black and pink colour scheme.
    I disassembled him, and airbrushed the whole body with Tamiya German Grey:Matt Black in a 50:50 mix. Next drybrushed the metal areas with gun metal and flat aluminium before doing the purple. I hand painted the purple with a mix of Tamiya purple with a little white to raise the tone a little.
    Each white line is hand painted in using masking tape (takes time but worth it), each panel line drawn in with an 0.25mm pen and the whole lot sealed with matt varnish. I left off the stripes because I wanted him to be a bit more current US military than G1 cartoon (my background is military and sci-fi modelling).
    I'm pretty pleased with the result, what do you reckon?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

i love the paint job. i want one like yours.

3. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    makes me wish i had one to paint. nice work. and welcome to the boards man.

4. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    Wow, that looks great! I wish I had the room and equipment for airbrushing... Nice job!

5. swampflight

swampflight Banned

That is one killer paint job!Ant chance of posting pics of him in jet mode?

6. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

i have a MP5 and MP6 coming in next week. i don't like shiny jets. i want to see yours in jet mode.

7. Deckard

Deckard "Time to die"

mine is robot mode only, transforming him just scrapes the paint off the joints and where the surfaces rub and its just a pain to touch up every time - sorry guys.

8. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    some light sanding in those areas before painting will help with that. also krylon paint helps prevent chipping. i dont blame you though i popped off the tailfins on his hips to make some changes and said to myself how often will you ever transform this guy and put them up with the rest of his extra stuff

9. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Great work, especially on the waist and midsection. Class A job, bro. Your off to a damn good start.

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I actually like the factory shine.

11. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Excellent work, bro! The paint job looks nice (I also like the fact that it isn't too shiny). I don't blame you for keeping it in robot mode to avoid chipping the paint, but as suggested, some light sanding before painting (and possibly even the Krylon Fusion) would help. I'd love to see your take on Thundercracker after seeing this sucker.

12. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    It certainly looks different with matt colours... it looks like the surface is quite raw.

Personally I prefer shiny finish like most jets have.

13. Deckard

Deckard "Time to die"

Thundercracker and starscream are next on the list, also have a masterpiece optimus to repaint too. I plan to do Thundercracker in a slightly darker royal blue rather than the light blue I've seen before.

I could sand and Krylon, but we cant get that stuff in the UK and I have built loads of F-15s when I was younger and just have no desire to have another on the shelf. The robot sculpt is stunning in the Masterpiece versions and I just wouldnt transform it enough to make it worth while. My version is more of a display model. But thats just my choice!

Being ex-RAF can tell you the paint on the jets is satin/gloss close up but at any distance the scale makes the paint appear matt. That and I have never found any satin varnish I like that doesn't look out of scale on a model. But again its an individual choice. I want the modern military look, which is stealthy and matt for me. Thanks for all the positive comments guys-I'm grateful for all comments.

14. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Even better, man. I can't wait to see your Starscream and Prime as well. Again, great job--keep up the good work!

15. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Love it.I'm working on one of my own right now.I might use some of your ideas.

16. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Damn, this is a great paint job. I love what you did with all the details. But loose the face, reminds me too much of Kor in sto_vo_kor's sig.

17. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That's a great weathered look, especially on the gun-metal coloured parts. Normally I prefer the shiny look, as it reflects the G1 cartoon, but yours is the best flat repaint I've seen! Kudos! I'm eagerly awaiting your TC and SS repaints. :thumbs2: 
    Oh, and welcome to the boards!

18. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    BTW, did you dye the canopy? Yours looks much more orange than my SW.

19. Deckard

Deckard "Time to die"

didn't touch the canopy - its probably just the way the light is. Thanks for the comments, have seen your stuff and its sweet!

Just got to wait until my G1 SS gets to the UK before I can get to work!

20. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

You did a great job, Deckard. Personally, I would have kept the "au naturel" black and touched up the silver and purple parts, but your airbrushing is top rate. Looks like the toy came out of the factory that way.

I definitely agree about MP-06 being pink. Skywarp was always seen as black-and-purple, with the purple more blue than red. It was only with Classics Skywarp that "purple" encroached on "pink" territory. People might mistake his purple for blue sometimes, but with the Clasiscs' reddish tint, it gives Skywarp a color uncomfortably close to pink.