Masterpiece Skywarp and Wal-Mart pricing

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Raithnor, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Raithnor

Raithnor Well-Known Member

So I'm on the fence about purchasing a Masterpiece Skywarp that's over at the local Wal-Mart. I'd really like it, but I'd rather not pay $60 for it.

I have a question for people used to shopping at Wal-Mart for Transformers bargains. How long does Wal-Mart usually wait before marking down something and how low do they usually go?

Right now they have two shelves full of the things and not many were sold over the December. So I have a feeling they're not going to be flying off the shelves the same way some of the other Transformers have been.

I know if I was at a TF/Anime convention a Masterpiece/Henkei would probably run closer to $100 so I shouldn't complain, but the circumstances are different. My local Wal-Mart isn't a one-a-year weekend event in another City/State/Country and they're drowning in the things.

Any advice?

2. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Every Walmart is different. Clearance items vary by region/store. What might be on clearance at one, could be full price at another.

I would wait it out, and just keep checking.

3. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I will also not pay 60 for Masterpiece Skywarp for two reasons. Price and the fact that people warn about how fragile parts of him seem. I don't pay more than 50 for a TF. And if I would even think about paying 50, he better last with repeatedly transformations. I play and transform my toys alot, so they better be built to last. I would wait it out.

4. galvascream

galvascream Apple Junkie

News Credits:
    i bought mine yesterday. it was A TOTAL PIECE OF FRAGILE, BROKEN CRAP!!! (crapsterpiece skywarp)

5. Primus_feather

Primus_feather Well-Known Member

I find it funny that the moment you buy him the cashier will ask you if you want to buy a $5.88 replacement plan, and since I broke mine pretty quickly I'm kinda mad I didn't get it in the first place, but I did save his box and packaging so returning him under the guise that he came broken just replaced him for another.

Now's here hoping I don't break THIS one.

SLAG!! I didn't buy the protection plan for this one either!

6. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Not sure if I agree with the fragileness report. I mean, unless you are intentionally throwing him into walls or pretending he can really fly...you should be good ;) 

I own every version of the mold, and the only one that I really truly think is fragile is the original Takara MP Starscream. He seems to be made out of slightly different plastic...more akin to model plastic.

I have a MP Skywarp at home, and one on my desk at work...and they get messed with daily by me and my co-workers (who I know aren't delicate) with no problems.

I paid full price for both, and feel no shame because it's an excellent toy, and well worth it. But if you want to wait and try to score it for less, you shouldn't have any problems. You can always buy it now, and enjoy the awesomeness, and when it goes on clearance, buy another and return it using the original full priced receipt...just an idea (assuming they hit clearance).

7. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    I've had no problem with mine yet, but all these reports concern me. <gently puts him back in packaging, forever..>

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    only issue with mine is one the tail wings likes to pop off but otherwise its solid

9. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Last night at my Wal Mart, it was marked down to $30. Don't know how widespread this is though.

10. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not saying it breaks, I've been heistant cause I seen a review where someone said it seems weak in places, and I thought someone on the podcast also said something of the nature. But I would pick it up for thirty if I seen it that low.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yeah, these were down to $45 here by December.

I'd argue the whole "fragile" problem people are having. I mean, first off being easily that it's a Masterpiece figure and really meant to be a display piece. It's only a "toy" by definition. You really shouldn't be swiping the thing across the air in your hands making "whooosh" sounds. If you want a toy, that's what the cheaper figures are for. The $60 price tag should have been indication enough.

Also, I haven't had a single problem with my MP Starscream. Then again, it's only been transformed to jet and back once and displayed on my shelf.

If I had Skywarp, it'd be treated in much the same way.

12. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    If you are interested in it, I would buy it now and save the receipt. If they do clearance it, buy another one, and return it with your original receipt. No point in missing out on a great figure because you are waiting for a sale, unless it is not in your budget at $60. You have 90 days to return it.

13. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    The mold isn't particularly fragile, but does require reasonable care/patience. Some of the tolerances are quite tight.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    If I see it at $30 I'll bite. I saw it at four out of five WMs last Sunday, all at full price.

15. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Two things.
    1. Is it more fragile then MasterPiece Star Scream?
    2. I don't under stand why people are up in arms about the price when the Japanese version is over 100 bucks.

16. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not "up in arms". I just put a personal budget on my TF's of 50 bucks. I'm not complaing about the price, I just would rather see if the price drops. And If it doesn't, then I'll pass.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Exactly. If you treat it like a $60 toy rather than a $10 deluxe there should be no problem whatsoever. I have Takara's Skywarp and Thundercracker and Hasbro's Starscream and haven't had any problems with any of them. Not even the wing hinges...make sure to put some pressure on them as they're turning and it's golden.

18. galvascream

galvascream Apple Junkie

News Credits:
    second he's free from the box, his fingers fall off, the waist falls off, the legs are floppy, and the head comes off

19. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    chances are it will be $30 or less at some wal-mart stores. For me it was a lot easier to find TFs at half retail or less from the wal-mart stores near me prior to summer 07. Recently not as many deals.

20. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

I started to pick one up until I saw it was $60. That was an easy pass. They seem to be alot more plentiful this time around compared to SS. I will wait for clearance. :)