Minor/Repaint: Masterpiece-scale Trailbreaker WIP...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by payton34, Jan 11, 2010.

1. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not going to be the Toyota camper truck that the original G1 figure was, but check out his description at TFWiki:

"It's hard not to like Trailbreaker. He's a good-humored cheerleader, always ready with a joke or comment to lighten the mood when things get dark. Sadly, Trailbreaker's joking is often a cover for his low self-esteem. His form is the most fuel-consumptive of the Ark crew, and his vehicle mode is very slow. As such, he feels like a useless drain on their limited resources. The Autobots know better, of course. Trailbreaker's good humor, bravery, and impenetrable force field are all of great use, but convincing him of that is hard, especially when he begins to mope about his handicaps."

Going by what I highlighted, what alt mode could fit that description for a Trailbreaker update better than a Hummer? :D 

Still a ways to go on this, will give it a G1-accurate paint job, new hands and a new head.

Here's a quick shot for a size comparison:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Good character choice for this mold.

Is that the new Roadbot Hummer 1:24 scale? I have the old 1:18, but it doesn't look nearly as nice as this one. How much parts-forming is involved. Also, where did you get it? Where do they sell Road-bots these days?

zmog

3. sstralkowski

sstralkowski FodderBot

You can get roadbots on BigBadToyStore.com or amazon, but I have yet to find this one (and I've been looking) since I saw it on Happywell's website. They're not Alternator quality, but some of them are pretty cool additions to your Alt line-up even if only in Auto mode. They have a great base for a custom Sunstreaker.

Do a search here for Hummer.

4. SMOG

Yeah, I have a couple of the 1:24 Road Bots... the Jag and the Landrover. Great car modes, but the robot modes aren't nearly as good as they look in the pictures. Awkward proportions and spindly legs all around. I have to keep remembering that when I look at pictures of the other ones, and think "Hey, now that looks sort of cool!":redface2: 

zmog

5. DMcB360

DMcB360 Radicon G2

why not alternator optimus? heck i would do my best to find a model of the same truck, re-shell optimus, then mod the bot mode for trailbreaker.

also if you wanna go for the hummer chummungmun on ebay sells very nice die cast hummer KO`s of alternators hound.

never the less trailbreaker should definitely join the 1:24 scale walk of life.

6. payton34

News Credits:
    Yeah, this is the Hummer H2 SUT 1:24 scale figure. The rear hood section comes off for transformation (for the Roadbot it's supposed to be a shield, but it's really out of place for Trailbreaker) and there's a waistpiece (not pictured) that I'll be using. Those are the only two "partsform" pieces so far, other than any weapons I come up with. The only place I've seen this one before is on Ebay from a seller in the UK.

I've seen Alt. Prime modded to Trailbreaker before, I wanted to do something different.

7. payton34

News Credits:
    Here's another pic, starting some of the paint apps:

[​IMG]

8. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Oh Yeah! A Hummer suits Trailbreaker perfectly! Luving that head too! :thumb 

I don't know a whole lot about Roadbots (except that they've got some pretty cool altmodes & that their part-forming can be atrocious) but what's the quality of the plastic like? I've never actually fiddled with one before...

9. SMOG

I'm thinking that if this Hummer is a true 1:24 scale, then it would be larger than most other Alternators. Any chance for a size comparison shot? Already, with the head, paint and force-field mount, the resemblance to Trailbreaker is solid.

It's funny, the first thing that occurred to me when I saw pics of this Roadbot Hummer was "Huffer", due to the colours (box art shows him orange with blue legs/head) and the headsculpt.

zmog

10. SMOG

The plastic grade on Road-Bots is really pretty good... overall quality is maybe a notch below what you would find in an Alternator, if even. The vehicle modes look really slick.

I just find the robot mode engineering leaves something to be desired. Often there are awkward choices made with the joints, and of course, plenty of car parts end up getting removed in most cases. I suspect part of the reason for this is so the car mode doesn't have any conspicuous bisected portions in it's body. The Roadbots tend to hide any seams that might give away that the toy is a transformer... so often whole chunks of the car have to be removed and used as "shields" and such.

zmog

11. DMcB360

DMcB360 Radicon G2

yea I saw oreo`s on his site after I posted. That hummer actually turns into a great representation of the G1 cartoons.

are you going to fix the back hood onto its own transforming part or leave it partsforming? kinda too bad hummers don't have the cab thingy.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Like payton said, he got his from an eBay seller; Happy Well doesn't sell individual units, only wholesale.

13. sstralkowski

sstralkowski FodderBot

I actually didn't know that, but I have been checking eBay.

14. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
  15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  16. payton34

News Credits:
    Okay, need some more opinions. Here is alt mode, is it better solid black, or with a couple of reprolabels on the side to give it that G1 feel?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    awesome. the decals are good, but IMO look a little too old-school for a modern built hummer like that. Maybe if you somehow modernized the same colors (yellow, orange, red) into something cooler...even if it were like a tribal design, you can apply those colors and it will still say Trailbreaker....

18. SMOG

Nice! I like the oldschool deco actually. It's simple and not overstated.

A more modern design runs the risk of the whole thing looking like more of a douchebag-wagon. The nerdiness of that retro sporty motif suits Trailbreaker better. It's bringin' the 70's back! :) 

zmog

19. payton34

News Credits:
    I'm thinking of maybe splitting the labels in half, length-wise. That way it'll still have the classic colors, but it won't take up as much of the vehicle.

20. payton34

News Credits:
    (Excuse the crappy MS Paint work)

Here's a pic with narrower labels, think they look better than the full ones?

[​IMG]