Masterpiece Rodimus, Scouting Force, or FP Bruticus?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TimToyGeek, Sep 22, 2011.

1. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

I'm coming into a smallish amount of money that I consider to be 'found money' and I am going to allow myself to spend up to $150 on something nice toy-wise that I wouldn't normally buy.

I am considering picking up either TRU Masterpiece Hot Rod, PerfectEffect's Scouting Force not-Reflector, or (if I can find it for under $150) the Munitioner and Explorer sets from FansProject so I can enhance my Energon Bruticus.

I have admired all three of these, but I usually skip anything above $50 for 'normal toy expenditures' - just a rule I have for myself.

Of course I've read all the reviews, and that's why I'm considering these three, I don't mind partsforming especially if like Reflector the parts all go somewhere in all modes. I don't collect Masterpieces normally, but I'm not averse to them either. I have Bruticus already, the original Energon release, and I'm interested in the FP set but that's already very pricey.

So, those of you who have one or all of these three, which would you consider getting if you had to get only one? What gives the most 'toy enjoyment' for the buck?

Thanks in advance

Tim
    "toy geek"

2. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    You got yourself a tough choice. But if you buy the TRU Rodimus, will you not have $100 left over?

I've thought about it and my conclusion? I can't help you, I have a hard time choosing between SFX and Xfire-02.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

MP Rodimus as he's the cheapest of the three (if you can find one in-store). That's only a little more than your $50 max, so it leaves you with money that you could either put away or perhaps spend on PE Reflector.

4. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    For me it is
    1. Bruticus
    2. MP Rodimus (Right now I onlt have the Hasbro version, but have dinked around with the Takara one). The Takara version is on my "to get" list.
    3. Not-Reflector- Just got it myself a couple days ago, and while it is nice, for me it doesn't compare to the other two, and I do have an affinity for reflector (still have my mail-away one with box from my childhood).

Those Bruticus sets Make what I considered a turd of a figure into an incredible piece. Rodimus is nice, but just a little goofy. Reflector is really small (I don't mind small figures), but you may feel a little disapointed when you get him. Great little guys though.

You could always go with TRU Roddy and Not-Reflector for around $150 if you are in the US.

5. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Well I always ask this... what do you collect?

- Do you have other MPs?
    - Do you have other combiners?
    - Do you collect the Classics Line?

Depending on that you should be able to decide.

Personally I love Reflector. Bruticus looks bad ass, but at the same time you will never get him and the ROTF set for $150 unless you really luck out or are extremely patient. Also for me at least, when I look at him, I don't automatically think, hey look it's Bruticus! I think it looks bad ass, but not very much like the show figure.

Rody is Rody. I think he is a great figure. If you don't collect MP, it's up to you if you want him to be your show piece.

The only other thing I would say is for $150 you can get both Rody and Reflector. That is always a positive.

6. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I kinda agree with previous posters. If money was not an issue, I would go with FP Bruticus add-ons as they are the best thing FP has given us and that says a lot, because most of their stuff is pretty darn good. They also give you the most play value, individually and combined, and the wide array of weapons is fantastic.

You could also go the MP rodimus AND PE-11 route as well and stay at the $150 price. Really tough choice!

7. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    You literally can not go wrong there. I have Roddy and Bruticus, and both are excellent. I've been trying to get Scouting Force X for a while, and I'm sure I will sometime soon. I have PE's Rumble and Frenzy and dig them a bunch. I'm told (and believe completely) That Scouting Force X is even better.

So I can't make that decision for you, but I can give you some thoughts about your choices. Just know, there is no wrong choice. You'll be happy no matter what, these are all awesome figures.

Crossfire-2: Lately I've been appreciating Munitioner and Explorer much more for their solo modes. Maybe it's just because Bruticus was my first third party purchase (I now have a lot), maybe it's because Hercules-expectations have redefined my highest standard for combiners, but the luster has worn off his combined mode for me and I mostly see his flaws now. As standalone bots, Munitioner and Explorer are fucking great, though.

Masterpiece Rodimus: The cheapest thing on your list, and by far the biggest. So consider that. He's almost as big as the combined Bruticus. Big, beautiful, articulate and comes with the hands-down best Targetmaster ever. Also, since it's sold at a regular store, if you're vigilant you can line up a 20% coupon for Toys R Us and get him even cheaper. I know they just sent coupons out to rewards members like yesterday. I've seen a bunch of random deals lately. On the other hand- do you collect Masterpieces? If you have a shelf-full of classics and a MP Rodimus, he's going to look weird. Also, he's a pain to transform.

Scouting Force X: As I said, I haven't got this, but have every intention to do so soon. That said, I have Rumble and Frenzy and they kinda rule. Just be aware that cost-to-size ratio is by far the worst in this case. ~$90 for three tiny, nearly-identical figures and a bunch of accessories. However small you think they are, they're probably smaller. Legitimately legends class. Insanely articulate, awesome accessories, but small, small, small. The size is appropriate for the characters, don't get me wrong, it's just a really hard purchase. I haven't heard of too many people regretting it, though.

Lastly, you could probably get Scouting Force X and Rodimus for the price of Munitioner and Explorer if you go through the B/S/T forums. Something to think about.

8. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

9. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. To answer some of the queries, I don't really have a thematic collection - I collect anything TF if it looks good and gives decent play value. I like Masterpieces in theory, but I only have Starscream currently.

Big isn't bad, I like the idea of a big figure for play value, but I also like small, complex well made figures too. I know from the reviews how tiny Reflector is, that honestly is one strike against it, but it does look like a toy with lots of enjoyable accessories.

I have thought about getting MP Rodimus with a coupon, except I live in LA, and I have yet to see him in a store. So I'd have to wait for a time with a valid coupon and in-stock online (which is kind of like waiting for both a Shamrock Shake and a McRib at McDonalds...).

As a followup question - are MP Rodimus AND Reflector together a better value than Munitioner and Explorer? Keep in mind I do have Energon Bruticus already.

Tim
    "toy geek"

10. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Value is very arbitrary. He is a kick ass figure and you will love him. Let's just say that.

Having said that. I have close to like 200 or so figures now. PE Reflector is in my top 5. That's how awesome that figure is.

11. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Rodimus will be around for a good while yet.

12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bruticus. Hands down.

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bruticus is mad awesome.

14. Astronopolis

Astronopolis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    if i were you, id only get those other 2 after ive gotten bruticus.

15. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    $150.00, you say?

You could buy the TakaraTomy Rodimus Convoy with the trailer for that price. He's on sale at BBTS for $150.00 last time I checked.

You could buy the Scouting Force set and still have $50.00 in your pocket.

Or you could buy the FP set.

Me, personally, I'd go with the FP set while you can find one. And find one at a manageable price. The market might drop out at some point, but right now it's climbing and they're hard to find. It's an excellent set, even with it's flaws.

Masterpiece Rodimus will be around for a while, both US and Japanese versions.

Scouting Force isn't selling out any time soon, so you could easily go back for it if need be.

That's my personal opinion on the matter, whatever you choose is up to you. Make sure whatever you buy is something you'll truly enjoy.

16. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've got all three and I'll tell you, you won't go wrong whichever you get. If you can find Rodimus in store, I'd say get that and Reflector. At the same time though, if you can get the Bruticus kit for $150 or better that'd be a good deal especially since it's only going to go up in price in the future.

Maybe the Bruticus set, since you get two scout-size figures who are cool in their own right, as well as the awesomeness that is the combined mode. With all the extra weapons, you get massive play value in 3 forms with 6 robots.

17. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    There's really no way to answer that question. I would say yes, Rodimus and Reflector are cooler than Munitioner and Explorer, but I just bought Rodimus (like two days ago) and don't have Reflector, so I would say that. But you are not me. As I said, you really can't go wrong.

Also re: finding him in a store. I live in NYC, where it's also very hard to find TFs in the store (for one thing, we don't have Wal-Mart, Ross, or 5Below, plus the wholepopulation density thing). When Roddy was first released he was out of the stores within two-three days. Now they've all got more shipments in and he's easy to find. You may have the same luck, I even got mine online for instore pickup (which is ten bucks cheaper than it is in NYC stores. Yes, they jack up their TF prices just because).

18. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

I'd have a harder time choosing between the TRU MP Rodimus (unless you were going to get that $150 Takara MP-09 1.0 fail edition on BBTS) against the Bruticus add-ons but I'm finding myself leaning more towards Explorer and Munitioner. Even if you got the TRU Rodimus, I still think there are some (minor) issues that Hasbro needs to work out to ensure a long toy life with multiple worry-free transformations back and forth. I've been really careful about transforming mine and even though I'm aware of these issues, I'm still getting stress marks :\

I can really appreciate what Perfect Effect achieves with the Reflector set, but I just can't justify the cost. It falls right in with their current pricing for figures (their versions of Frenzy and Rumble, etc), and even though the gimmicks/features/parts work great with the set, it doesn't make me want to shell out the $90 for it :eek: .

19. BumbleBee75

BumbleBee75 Well-Known Member

Are there any differences between the Takara and Hasbro masterpiece figures?

20. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    totally got for upgrading your Brutcius man!