Masterpiece Rodimus hasbro vs takara

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Deadfett, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadfett

Deadfett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok so I picked up my hasbro Rodimus prime from toys r us today, and started to compare to my takara one.

Hasbro roddy
    I like the darker gray on face for an older look so hasbro one will be Rodimus.
    I like offshoot cool wee figure

Takara roddy
    I like the lighter gray on face for a younger look so hasbro one will be hot rod
    I think the hood looks crisper with the black outline on flames
    More coloured sections, forearms have more colour
    Bottom of legs look better in gray
    Glass on the cockpit clearer imo looks better
    "fits" together better

Overall I am glad I have both as I can now have Rodimus in his trailer and hot rod seperate but if I could only have one it would be takara.

If you have both which do you prefer, and how do you display them

For you's that only have one is there any aspect of the other you'd like?

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Dont have the Hasbro one yet but i saw 7 at one of my tru today so i am not worried about getting him in a week or so when i have the cash but i will say i love my Takara one. The Space Winnebago mode is simply awesome i think. That said due to the fragility of the first run for the takara mold like the leg panels i want the hasbro one so i can fiddle with the mold more. Last thing i want to do is break my $220 Rodimus but if something happened to the $60 one i would not be as upset. As for Display purposes takara will be displayed as Rodimus Prime with the trailer open cause i love the massive cannons and the hasbro will be displayed as Hot Rod with his target master. Will prolly use the hasbro guns to plug in on the trailer for the takara one somewhere.

3. Deadfett

Deadfett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly it might just be mine but I actually think the leg panels in my takara are better, once you get it you'll see what I mean about the colour of the gray, currently I hasbro displayed in trailer with guns as roddy and takara as hot rod because you can see the different colours in arms and legs better

4. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm in the same boat, so for my 2 Rodimuses:
    -MP9 will display as Hot Rod since his overall color is magenta which matches the cartoon. Also, the brighter colors and white face make him appear young. Lastly, he can hold the two smaller guns better than the Rodimus combine gun.

-TRU version will display as Rodimus since his overall color is red which matches the cartoon. TRU Rodimus hands also hold the combine gun better than MP9. In addition, he will be used as MP9 Winnebago cab filler.

If I have to keep one, it will have to be MP9. Despite the QC issues of MP9, I like the white face and hand better than TRU Rodimus. He just looks cleaner. At night time, my TRU Rodimus looks like a zombie. Maybe my lighting has to do with it as well, hehee.

5. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I prefer the Hasbro one because it probably doesn't have all the little durability issues the Takara one has. I also like the darker face and flames more.

6. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I am referring to the fact that they redid how the leg sidepanels are attached. Less worry of breaking them off.

I would also keep my MP-09 over the hasbro version. While it has its issues its a damn beautiful figure and worth every penny paid.

7. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't have the Takara MP Roddy, though I have played around with it in a shop before. Having bought the Hasbro version a few days ago, I'm pretty sure I like the Takara one more. Just prefer the color scheme, I guess. Hasbro's does feel like it has better QC though, so I'm considering picking up the "fixed" Takara version.

8. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
  9. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    the hasbro one will be transformed once so i can shove it in MP9's trailer.

the hasbro deco reminds me of BiS rodimus.

10. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was a bit disappointed with the Takara version, mine didn't hold together well, pieces didn't stay in place well, boots kept coming undone. Also, he couldn't hold his weapon well, and that bugged me. Don't get me wrong, he looks awesome, but he's not very functional. And at $200, I found that disappointing. I've got my Hasbro one now, haven't opened him yet, he looks very cool in the display box. I'll probably open him up eventually. Interested to hear what people think about the differences though.

11. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Excluding the colors which MP9 has the advantage, here are what I experienced on mine:
    1. My TRU Rodimus can hold both the single guns, the combine gun, and Offshoot without any problem. He holds it firmly too. My MP9 can barely hold just the single gun, constantly flimsy if you move the hand.
    2. TRU transformation is much smoother than MP9. Tabs and joints seem to connect better than MP9. Also, not to mention that if the leg flap snap off for the TRU version, you can easily snap back in.
    3. Changing the face and flipping the glass do not seem to be smooth and easy like MP9.
    4. TRU has more chrome chip than MP9.
    5. Maybe it's my imagination but I felt TRU plastic is more sturdier than MP9.
    6. Waist, I like MP9 better. TRU Rodimus looks like he's wearing a boxer.

12. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

If the Hasbro version had been purple like in the Marvel G1, then I would've been interested. Otherwise, no; I'm not a fan of the "toy-accurate" paint apps.

13. Star 56

Star 56 Active Member

the TRU Rodimus still has the common problmes of the mold like the chest becoming untabed and the backpack not wanting to stay tabed in, I don't have mp9 but I must say that I enjoy the TRU version better seeing comparasion pictuers for some reason I don't like the black around the flames. The only thing that is nicer IMO is the more Chromed pieces like the matrix

14. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Speaking of the TRU version, is he widely available in the US now? he's just started to appear in Canada.

15. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

I just got my Hasbro one at AA....they had the Takara ones too but the cost factor played heavily.

I can't say I'd want a Takara over my Hasbro.....

I prefer the dark red of Hasbro, but Takara has more and better paint apps.....I prefer Hasbro's flames....but Takara has the black boots, something I really can't decide what I prefer. Hasbro does the toy accurate and the red boots look good, but the black boots also look good......

Overall, I think Hasbro. Takara is just a bit too cartoony. I love Hot Rod's sort of Magenta colour, but something about the takara release just seems a bit off. Also, I don't like the pale grey plastic.

How to solve this dilemma? Buy the two and parts swap of course!

16. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    The chest part on my TRU MP Hot Rod does stay in place, I can rotate the arms and the chest will not pop off. The backpack on the other hand tends to pop off once in a while but no biggie there...

17. marshall dusty

marshall dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In Chicago, we only have 1 TRU within the city. the rest are just outside of the city limits where chicago finishes and towns begin (which you can confused for chicago) but most of them only got 1 case of 4 MP Rodimus.
    from our sightings, 1 store had up to 10 at one point (which they kept at CS desk and was at a one per person purchase unfortunately. A second store had 2 cases in, but other than that. they haven't restocked yet. the rodimus i have was picked up by a fellow member.

robowarrior
    there's a video review of the fixes on HAS vs TAK. i can't find it, but i'll edit this post when i do. the reviewer basically had to put nail polish on those tabs for it to connect, after doing so, it was just perfect. still, the need to modify something so that it works sucks, i dont mind to a certain extent.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  18. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    A dab of glue solves the first problem.

The second problem.....i think, is somewhat resolved on the Hasbro version.

19. marshall dusty

marshall dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  20. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I had to choose one, i would say MP09 just because he has the 4 modes - dig that funky space Winnebago!
    that being said, I'm really glad I have both. like others have posted, I prefer TRU Roddy as Rodimus. I like his darker grey and boots for bot mode and the plastic on his knees is more uniform than MP09s or something and it looks better in Winnebago vehicle mode. on MP09 when it's in Winnebago mode, it looks like he knee and thigh are a slightly different shade, so it looks like 3 diff shades In the front of the cab, but on TRU the knee and high pcs don't appear to loom different and the whole thing just looks better. Also on my TRU Roddy, the forearms don't tab in to the tabs under the canopy (maybe mistransformed, but everything else seems to b in place...) and they plug in nice & tight on MP09 (possibly due to modding I did to make the backpack close propperly?) so I have him for Hot Rod, plus I like the MP09 headlights and lighter gray face and hand colors for hot rod. that being said, the backpack on my TRU Rod was perfect out of the box and I like that his leg pcs that wind up on the bottom of vehicle mode push in further and are thus more secure. Also he can hold any of the guns no problem and I love the add'l color on the hasbro guns and offshoot is really cool.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.