Masterpiece QC

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Gen. Hospital, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Gen. Hospital

Gen. Hospital Well-Known Member

I'm interested in hearing what experience people have with quality control on the mp line of figures.

Nearly all of my mp's have qc-problems. My first TC had a loose hand. The second has a loose waist and a loose hand. Both my USA-edition Stascreams have their chest thrusters reversed. My first Skywarp has a loose hand and a crazy-loose waist. My Megatron's got... erm, well, he doesn't really have any qc issues. My Optimus has a loose shoulder and slightly misaligned doors, Ultra Magnus has the same doors, and of course the upside down headlights. Grimmy has weak elbow ratchets.

My second MP Skywarp arrived from bbts a couple weeks ago, and I only just now got around to opening it up. Observe:

[​IMG]

The little hatch over the front landing gear came busted from the mold. In package, it was just dropped in, and the landing gear was used to "hold it in place". Maybe inspector number 5 thought he was cute or something.

I emailed Big Bad, we'll see what happens.

So, anyway, do I just have unbeliavably bad luck with this, or is the qc really this much worse with the more expensive figures? I have like 60 or 70 movie figures, and I've less trouble with them (about 5 or 6).

Attached Files:

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, this is what I have

MP04 Prime- Paint chipped right out of the box. Its small but very annoying because I just spent 200 dollars on it. The Chip is on his chest, below the lights

Thundercracker- The reverse boob problem that I can live with. I didn't even notice it until everyone pointed it out

Hasbro Skywarp- The rear thrusters are loose, not really a big deal.

Takara Grimlock- perfect :drool: 

Green Scream- Perfect! The best Jet I own:drool: 

MP Megatron- It was perfect but I hated the toy so its long gone:mad . The Cannon was so big, it was hard to position him. Actually, he did have Cosmic Rust on his feet.

Just waiting on Ghost Starscream.....

3. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I swear I'm the only person on the face of the planet who's gotten an MP-04 and NOT had any paint chipping/chest door opening issues whatsoever.

My Hasbro MP Prime is another story, but the big trailer dude's just fine.

Takara Grimlock's got maybe one patch on the die-cast area around his crotch that's chipped a little, but it's not that noticeable.

Hasbro Skywarp's good too. No problems there.

4. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    I've got the original MP Convoy, Megatron, Skywarp and Grimlock, and did have the MP-3 Starscream (sold him on in favour of Skywarp). No problems with any of them, I'm pleased to say.

5. Insecticon

Insecticon I am a Transformers

Ebay:
    I've had no problems with my MPs so far except for Walmart Starscream. Screamer is fine, its just one of his arm joints has a lot of stressed plastic on it and I fear of it breaking off. Other than that, everything seems to be sturdy on all of my MPs. Of course there is cosmic rusting on MP Megatron but hey, all MP Megatrons seem to have that.

EDIT: Just remembered that MP Skywarp has a hard time pegging into place on his stand in robot mode, and the black pieces on his intakes keep popping off.

6. Maniac23

Maniac23 resident Tim

Everytime I buy a masterpiece figure i dread it's arrival due to the well documented QC problems, however i have so far not had a single problem (touch wood) :drunk 

I see BBTS are attempting to get rid of a few Green Screams with missing fingers.

7. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have
    1. Hasbro 20th Prime.....No problems at all. tight joints, stands straight, No paint chips, doors align percect.
    2. MP Magnus first release. No problems
    3. MP Megatron.....No problems but I have not transformed him yet.....he has been sitting on my shelf for a few years now.
    4. Walmart Starscream.....no problems
    5. MP Skywarp......no problems
    6 MP Grimlock.......no problems
    7. MP Thundercracker....... reversed boobs and a couple of stressed plastic marks right out of the box. He is by far my worst QC Masterpiece figure.

8. nails1

nails1 Well-Known Member

DVD Prime has a lopsided gas tank.

Megatron came with one of his arms detached. Luckily it screwed back on and is still holding his cannon up just fine.

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I've had no QC related troubles with any of my 5 MPs.

Although I did manage to pop Prime's leg off at the hip joint once without applying any great force at all. It just kinda fell off! It went back on but you can tell something happened to it now by the way it moves funny.

Maybe he's getting old...

10. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    First MP Prime arrived with a broken smokestack. Bbts exchanged it and the second was perfect

Greenscream is perfect
    Megatron is perfect
    Grimlock is fine aside from where the screw scrapes his tail
    MP Skywarp came with two of the same face. Hlj exchanged and then the replacement is missing a purple piece on his shin
    HAsbro screamer is great

11. SeekerofTruth20

SeekerofTruth20 Prime of Primes

I just got MP-04 from BBTS and it really doesnt have any problems. There is a tiny tiny chip on his chest just under the lights but it isnt huge and not a big deal as long as no more chips. Not to change the subject but i cant wait for MP Rodimus lol.

12. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I'm not surprised by the Seeker issues, mold's been used a lot.

I have:

- MP U.S. Skywarp - Loose fingers, odd line across one of the eyes.

- MP DVD Edition Prime - Loose shoulder, misaligned chest windows.

13. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just curious, has anyone figured out how to fix the Reverse boob problem on the MP seekers?

14. Gen. Hospital

Easy enough, if you don't mind knocking out pins.

15. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hhmm.... I don't mind.... how do you do it lol.

16. Gen. Hospital

Haha, man. It's 2:43am over here, maybe I should let someone else answer this. :D 

[​IMG]

I haven't knocked pins out of any of my tfs, so I dunno if there's a major risk of breaking plastic. I have knocked out a fair few pins from airsoft guns, but that's metal, so it's a little more durable. I just use a small torx screwdriver for that, but I'm given to understand that there is something called a pin punch for doing this.

So, anyway, you see the pin in the picture. Looks like the knurled end is on the outside, so punch them out from the inside. Swap the thrusters. Put the pins back in. Again, never actually done this with plastic parts. It's not my fault if your toy breaks if you do this.

:D 

Attached Files:

17. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

On my Takara SW, the purple (thruster) plastic on his left shin is missing!! the cockpits don't shut flush on my Takara TC. reverse boobs as well. MP04-no major problems other than chest doors don't align perfectly. Hasbro SS, no problem since i haven't transformed him once.

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My MP Megatron has cosmic rust.

19. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow it is scary reading about all these problems. I currently have only the DVD Prime, but there's a minor bit of chipping happening already. I'm wondering if it really is worth it after all to buy these bad boys. They're fantastic and all, but the QC problems hit harder considering their prices. What do you think?

20. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

Only have three masterpieces, all hasbro releases. My first Hasbro prime had really loos ankle joints that fell off right out of the package, they barely stay on at all. My DVD Prime has two of the same foot, so one won't sit all the way flat in truck mode. On the other hand, My hasbro walmart Skywarp seems to be perfect.