Masterpiece Prime or Masterpiece Grimlock?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bumblebot98, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    IMHO this isn't even a contest, MP Grimlock.

Grimlock is everything you should want him to be, while Prime has a lackluster transformation and is too grossly overscaled to do anything with. Grimlock, unlike Prime, displays very well in both modes.

To make matters worse, my Prime has a left foot that will not stay attached, no matter what. I've done the nail polish, the superglue trick, end result is those stupid half cup ball joints just don not hold the foot in place. The right one falls off often as well. This causes the figure to topple at a glance further making him completely undisplayable.

2. cosmosaurus

cosmosaurus RID is Better Than G1

I don't have mp prime, I have mp ultra magnus and mp black convoy though. I don't have grimlock. My opinion is what are you wanting to do with the mp? Play...I mean "pose" the figure with your others or just have him in box or like a statue? I would say mp prime for just the fact he is the ultimate g1 prime toy, but he is huge and is not to scale with anything other than mp megatron. At least grimlock is smaller so that he could "blend" in with your other toys. Also, what is your budget? you can get mp grimlock (hasbro one) alot cheaper since it is newer. Just remember that all these threads are just our biased opinions and ultimately YOU should decide for yourself. Best of luck and know either one will make you feel nostalgic for being a kid again; oh and have fun!

3. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

4. ZacharyBinx

ZacharyBinx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Prime is an amazing display piece. It just looks impressive, and definitely starts some conversations.

Grimlock looks amazing, blends in with Classics figures, and is just fun to play with. And the transformation brings the nostalgia big time. The first time he went from Dino to bot, I could remember exactly how it felt opening my G2 Grimlock and transforming him for the first time.

5. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Grimlock has the looks. He's the more accurate toy when compared to a blend of his Generation One cartoon model and toy. That said, he also has the most simplistic and unsatisfying transformation of all Masterpiece figures.

Don't get me wrong, he's worth owning...but if you want a toy that satisfies your need to fiddle with a toy...get Prime. He's not dead-on the the Generation One toy or cartoon model, which is where Grimlock has him beat...but he is the original Masterpiece...and is the one that should be owned before all others.

6. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

ahhhhhh! Can't unsee shadow panther puckering!

7. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    As much as I like Prime, I gotta say Grimlock. Easier to get a hold of (at least, much cheaper) and he has a good personality to boot.

8. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I would get them both at some point, but right now I would pick up a Grimmy before the price gets out of hand. I do think Grimmy is a little better figure all around, and the fact that Prime has seen numerous releases (including an upcoming one) makes Prime a little more common. I would say that Grimlock has a better chance of going up in price in the near future when compared to Prime.

Both great figures IMO, and I still want to get myself MP-04 at some point.

9. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I don't own a MP Grimlock myself to judge, but I hear Grimlock is a better figure than MP Optimus.

MP Optimus, in any shape or form, is without a doubt a "must have" figure though.

10. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

Instagram:
    this is a tough one, these are both great figures, I think grimlock has better posability, playability, and is less cumbersome, but Prime looks so freakin awesome just standing there on my shelf

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Both are excellent figures. Grimlock has a slight advantage for me, as it doesn't have to compromise one or the other mode the same way the other MP toys do. My biggest issue with Optimus is the size and weight of all the metal which strains a lot of joints ('specially them ankles)

12. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    To give you my opinion I would say get Grimlock,Prime is cool and all but he just has so many flaws like the window chest on him they don't line up just right,the gap in front when in truck mode,and mostly his feet can pop off easily when transforming him.

Grimlock on the other hand has no problems as I know of,and I own both Prime and Grimmy and G is clearly my choice for the one to get.Even tho Prime has some problems he is one of the best.

13. F18Starscream

F18Starscream Commander of the Skies

News Credits:
    1st get MP Prime nuff said!! Then if you can get Grimlock (depends on where you live if he's still availble) he's a fun one to have. I have both versions (Takara/Hasbro) of Prime (MP-04) and Grimlock.

14. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    Both are awesome.

15. F18Starscream

F18Starscream Commander of the Skies

News Credits:
    I agree 1000%

16. Cliffbee

Cliffbee Well-Known Member

Masterpiece Optimus is my favorite Masterpiece Transformer, bar none.

17. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    don't choose. get both.

18. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Both are very awesome figures,but if you can only get one,I would go with Prime,just because....he's Prime.

19. aurascope

aurascope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    get masterpiece optimus prime
    the sheer amount of die-cast means a secondary function as an intruder bludgeon.

BUY BOTH IF YOU CAN.
    Sell a kidney if you have to.

20. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Banned

News Credits:
    Both are awesome, awesome figures and among my best TFs of all time. Optimus IMO is a better figure. Get both if you can afford them, but money is an issue and you don't have a lot of extra cash to spend, Grimlock is a very nice alternative. If your Toys R Us is like mine, finding Grimlock shouldn't be hard.