Masterpiece Pricing

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by deltagod, Aug 5, 2012.

1. deltagod

deltagod Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm finished the commemorative set thanks to a special someone on these boards and am finishing the DOTM and Generations sets, but in looking into my last and final must have complete set, the Takara Masterpiece pricing are all over the scale for MISB.

Is there a source with pricing guides/ranges on what I should be looking to spend? Obviously some of the eBay pricing is outrageous, or at least I think it is.

Any feedback is welcome, don't want to spend every penny I own but really want to get the full masterpiece set misb.

I have 11s/12/13/14 on pre-order with BBTS.

Is $250 really the going price for MP-10? (Yes, I know TRU US version is coming)

2. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    The market determines pricing. Depending on various factors, prices will vary and popular products WILL be expensive. eBay's completed auctions are pretty much the best price guide available.

But MP-10's original retail price WAS about $250, so that should be your minimum seeking him out.

3. deltagod

News Credits:
    Appreciate it, any advice on how safe it is to order from listings originating in China/HK/Malaysia? More specifically, the odds of getting a KO or did those regions have different packaging if it was available in that region?

4. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Keep an eye out and a want list in the wanted forum. You can get some good deals there and I have seen many MP figures sealed and unopened there.

5. deltagod

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was going to take soundwave's entire collection but he stopped messaging me - who knows. ;)  I'll keep looking - thanks!

6. dew

dew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hi, I only recently completed my MP collection (less MP-4s), almost exclusively through ebay (and some from Amazon.jp / Rakuten) and from personal experience, the prices on ebay are pretty much the going rate. Occasionally, you can find slightly cheaper listed ones or sellers who are willing to negotiate for a lower price but that's probably a 10% to 20% difference.

Here's a rough guide from my personal purchases (Mostly MISB, a few MIB) not including postage:

MP-1: $200
    MP-1B: $110
    MP-2: $150
    MP-3, MP-3G, MP-6. MP-7: $560
    Mp-4: $320
    MP-5: $140
    MP-8: $150
    MP-8x: $280
    MP-9: $170
    MP-9B: $170
    MP-10: $200

As for listings from Asia (I'm from Singapore), Hongkong and Malaysia should be relatively legit and I have yet to come across any KO MPs (except for Gold Prime) and some accessories. I guess most importantly is to buy from sellers with good track record.

On a side note, I do have a MIB MP-4 for sale as I just acquired a MISB one. Let me know if anyone is interested!

7. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

do prices in asia equate to same pricing in America? For example if I have relatives in asia that can buy them from a store for me?

8. dew

dew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Think generally prices in Asia are lower. I might be wrong.

9. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    For Takara releases, generally they're cheaper in Asia (if I'm not mistaken, Japan and HK would be the cheapest places to get them), for Hasbro releases, they're cheaper in the US.

10. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    $250 is pretty much the rrp for MP-10 unfortunately, also, why do you have this concept that Asian sellers might be selling KO MP?? The MP line is designed and produced in Asia, whatever stocks BBTS/TFsource get is exactly the same as everywhere else. KO's of MP-1 may exist, but it is totally different packaging, you got nothing to worry about in terms of KO's.

In terms of pricing I can only suggest keep scouring ebay or here for good deals. There are so many MP's floating around still you should find them pretty easily. Just one thing to note, certain figures such as MP-4 MISB will go for a lot since this was released almost 10 yrs ago. Lookout for the TAKARA logo, that will have a higher pricing in general since it was the initial release. The only figure that can fetch as much as TAKARA MP-4 is MP-8X. It was a pretty limited run; I bought it when it came out and it was already in the $250+ range. MP-7 was fetching as much as those 2 as well, but I see the interest for that shrink with the recent MP Thundercracker announcement.

I think we have to start accepting that some of these MP figures are reaching that stage where they can start fetching crazy money, mainly the 2 figures I mentioned, but the rest should be relatively 'cheaper'.

11. jru42287

jru42287 Where are my testicles, Summer?

News Credits:
    About 3 or 4 months ago, Newegg.com had MP-10 shipped for $200. I realize this doesn't help you now, but maybe keep an eye out once in a while.