Masterpiece Optimus Prime: Which version to buy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Darth Trader, Feb 12, 2010.

1. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    When considering which MP Prime I should get, I'd heard about all these QC issues & they really worried the hell outta me. I badly wanted an MP-4 (Prime needs his trailer :wink: ) & I said "Stuff it! I'm gonna get an MP-4 & hopefully it'll be a good one." & my MP-4 ended up being perfect. :) 

2. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Can anybody please provide some pictures comparing all the versions of the M.O.P?

3. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

20th anniversary edition then buy long smoke stacks then use paint thinnner or rubbing alchohal to get the battle damage off. Last pre-order the Igear trailer for bigbadtoystore.com. But thats about the price of MP-04 I have MP-04 and as long as you don't move the chest to much its all good.

4. b-r0ck

b-r0ck Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have the MP-04 as well. The only issue is that the doors aren't perfect, but with some fiddling they look just great. The trailer is AWESOME. Highly recommended.

5. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I honestly think the Hasbro 04' version is the better cause I own 2 of them. 1 is open and the other is still sealed.

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you should by my MISB one and get some repro'd Stacks and the trailer thats coming from i-gear. It would probably be cheaper than buyin a MP-04

7. Sideswipe1125

Sideswipe1125 Autobot

News Credits:
    I just got mine yesterday and I love it. I paid only 90 bucks for it which was good considering people were asking for close to 200 for it. Does that thing with the rubbing alcohol work to get the battle damage off though?

8. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    The Takara version is beautiful.

9. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Just order from BBTS and if you have an issue I'm sure they'll happily exchange it.

10. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    still not sure which way I should head. I had been eyeing mp-04 till I read this thread lol now I don't know.

11. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Look its just like any other Transformer out there. Some are going to have QC issues, but most are going to be awesome, and form my own experience, and the replies from most of this thread it looks like MP04 is a good buy. Is there a chance that you'll get a bad one yeah, but you run that risk with every other Transformer too.

12. Angel Magnus

Angel Magnus Well-Known Member

13. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    The cheapest.

Either way, the mold is easily one of the best ever.

14. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I have 2 x MP01, 2 x 20th and an MP04. The only QC problem I have had is a loose screw in the waist joint of one of the 20th Primes.

The QC issues mentioned earlier could have something to do with the source of the MP04. In Australia Target sold them for a short time right after they first came out. That is what I have. Is it possible that the Japanese sourced ones are more likely to be crappy?

15. Darth Trader

Darth Trader Well-Known Member

Really? They will exchange if you receive a poor quality one? Do they pack their stuff as well as TFsource does?

Sorry for so many questions, but, It's NOT a cheap purchase, lol.

16. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

MP1 is gonna be expensive right? cos its the first version. MP04 has been reissued and comes with a trailor so that will be my choice...even though i never display my trailor with prime in bot mode. its just nice to know i have it and it looks better with trailor in truck mode.

17. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Yes and yes. One of the biggest reasons I use BBTS after Pile of Loot...their customer service is exceptional and I know if there's any problem, they'll make it right. It's quite possible TFsource may even be willing to do the same, but I know BBTS does as I've heard numerous examples of it.

You could also order from toyarena.com and get it for $189.95 and use the discount code KING for additional savings to make it a cheaper order, but I don't believe they'd be quite as accommodating if you have a nitpicky issue, whereas I know BBTS would exchange it even for something minor. I also can't really vouch for toyarena's packing. I ordered from them once and everything went great, but I didn't think their packaging job was that of BBTS...had my outer box been at all damaged, so would have my inner box.

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, I prefer the look of the 20th anniversary Prime with repro stcks more than the Takara one, but seeing as they both go for only about $50 cheaper than MP-04, you may as well get the one with the trailer. Like others have said, BBTS will replace it if anything is wrong with it.

19. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

20. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Yes, but probably not from them as it's much cheaper elsewhere. Best price is probably found from toyarena.com and use the code KING for an additional $5 off or from BBTS.com for a decent price and probably best piece of mind if you need to exchange it for any reason.