Masterpiece Optimus Prime - Movie Edition???

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mr_K, May 28, 2007.

1. Mr_K

Mr_K Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey hey,

I have been reading a few reviews for all the Optimus Prime Movie Figures coming out or actually out depending where you are and I've noticed (excluding protoform prime - and on a side note he is awesome!) all the reviews say that the Prime they are reviewing is not show accurate.

As I've hinted at, I do have the protoform prime and have been thinking about getting the Leader Prime - though not show accurate, it is the closest. I then got to thinking that we now know that Transformers will be a Trilogy (I'll be waiting for the DVD box set to buy my copies) and we also know that the people behind Takara's Masterpiece line can preform somewhat of miracles (MP-05 Megatron), so what do you think the chances are of us receiving a Masterpiece version of Movie Optimus Prime?

I personally think there is a high chance, I mean, with Transformers now being a Trilogy there is sure to be enough interest in the mold that a Masterpiece version would be viable, especially since (at least with this first movie) we are not getting an accurate rendition of Prime.

Let me know what you think, because atm I'm withstraining myself from buying Leader Optimus Prime in order to use that money to get the Masterpiece version if or when it comes out (be it this year or a few down the track).

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I think it's plausible, but not nessesarily possible. If Takara/tomy does do an MP Movie Prime, they would probobly mark it under the name Prime, since the MP line already has 2 Convoys.

I would deffinatly like to see this done.

Also, Leader Prime is still a great figure and a fun toy, don't let the fact that one day a possibly more accurate version of him will come stop you from enjoying a really great figure.

3. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

As with every iteration of the transformers line, the figures get more detailed and closer to accurate. While I think Hasbro instead of following the BW/BM lines innovations took a leap backwards with Armada, they've been good since. I plan on getting leader Prime as well, and the voyager for my son, but well, don't let thinking a better one coming out later stop you from getting a good one now.

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I plan on getting Leader Class Prime, but I'd love to see a MP version of him. Yet at the same time, I'm not going to hold my breath or anything. Off topic, but, my band director is called Mr. K, lol, coincidence?

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'd say it's possible. Convoy is a popular character in Japan...if the movie is successful I don't see why they wouldn't want to milk the success for all it's worth. Personally I'd rather see older characters redone before the movie stuff since the movie toys aren't THAT far off to their on screen counterparts just slightly simplified to compensate for the complex designs.

6. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

First, I don't really think it'd happen..For a MP line, it'd just get to big I think..Weigh to much..Or they'd have to go primarily with plastic, and that's just the Leader Prime figure. I think the MP line will stay Gen-1, and let the movie stuff stay where it is.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It's Takara. Every Transformers line would consist of multiple versions of Convoy and maybe a couple of other characters if they had their way. :p 

Honestly, I don't see Takara rushing to do an MP movie Prime. The movie is completely unproven so far, whereas G1 definitely sells. I honestly don't see the MP line ever moving beyond G1.

8. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Kinda how I think about it too, the movie stuff COULD be done, but I would hope that they would do some more G1 as well first.

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I don't think super accurate versions of the movie transformers is even possible. ..

10. cybertron2006

cybertron2006 Fly By Clockwork Pictures

dude, Leader class Movie Prime IS made of die-cast metal, so why make a Masterpiece version?

11. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

I think the idea is to make one that's more movie-accurate than the Leader Prime. While the Leader is more accurate than the Voyager, it's still not 100%, even in terms of the basic transformation (arms are in the sleeper on the Leader toy, they're in the nose in the film, etc).

I think it would certainly be possible, the trick would be making the toy in such a way as to reduce the number of parts as much as possible while still making it as accurate as possible. It would be expensive, though, as the transformation would no doubt be incredibly complex.

Nevertheless, I'd be all over a Masterpiece Movie Prime, if it were accurate.

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    That's only the Takara version, that and a MP version would be bigger and have more detail and paint app's to him.

13. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    If they would make him he would probably go for a $200 and up. This guy would undoubtley be bigger and heavier if it where to come to fruitation.

14. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are you sure? I heard its only for the Takara Version and not the hasbro version.

15. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I wouldn't mind a masterpiece level movie Prime, especially if they left out all the gimmicks and just gave him an insane transformation and a truck mode with a full interior and more chrome.

16. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Still unconfirmed rumor

17. Mr_K

Mr_K Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow, thanks for all the responses :D 

I to want to see heaps more G1 Masterpiece Transformers, though a Movie Prime, like Dark_convoy described with an insane transformation and detailing would be awesome.

So, you guys are getting me sold on the Leader Prime. I live in Australia so I can easily go down and purchase a Hasbro version, but do you guys think the Takara one would be worth importing over the Hasbro one. I believe the only difference is that Takara has metal, but still that's very cool (I collect the Titanium Transformers partly because of this - reminds me of g1 transformers), but do we know how much of it will be die-cast yet? and is there anything else different?

Thanks for all the posts, I appreciate it and Ravenxl7, me and your band director, it is no coincidence, us Mr K's are taking over the world!!! mwhahhahahaha, hmm, ok enough with that :D 

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Either way, just adding diecast parts isn't enough to classify it as a MP figure. Make him as tall as MP Prime, get rid of the gimmicks, alter the transformation, add a tone of detail and paint apps, and then you have a MP Movie Prime. Diecast isn't all that imortant in my opinion anyways.

19. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

now just for some humor in this topic, how about a Prime with a transformation accurate to the way its done in the movie :p 

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Leader Prime, while not accurate, is actually close to it. Making him bigger and adding some stuff to his transformation would make him even closer.