Masterpiece of Masterpieces - An Optimally Prime Example!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by McSoundwave, Sep 28, 2011.

1. McSoundwave

McSoundwave Soundwave superior!

What's the popular opinion as to which of the myriad Masterpiece versions available for Optimus Prime is the best? The be-all, end-all M.O.M....Masterpiece of Masterpieces if you will?

If you could only choose one...taking into account design accuracy, scale, quality, price-point, everything...which would you select? Hasbro 20th, Takara MP-04, Takara MP-10, Takara MP-01...am I missing any others? I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

2. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

I have MP-04 and absolutely LOVE it standing next to my MP Megs with his JustiToys add-on kit.

Can't comment on MP-10 since I don't have one, but until there is a redone MP Megs for him to battle with, I'm not even thinking about buying him.

3. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

Mp-04- comes with trailer and i hear has more die-cast in truck mode

4. Kranix

Kranix Banned

MP-10 is the best by far, and more diecast doesnt make the other figure better, just try to freely pose the damn thing as it flops all over - and trust me i have all 6 versions and for some reason only the black prime is tight (sleep convoy maybe also but hes still MISB)

5. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

I only bought Magnus and one other and I only opened Magnus when MP-10 comes out I'll use that as it looks the right size to go with Grimlock & Starscream.

The other ones didn't matter to me as they were just display pieces like all those un-needed Movie Bumblebees.

Mp-10 even if it is a bit to cartoon looking in terms of the head at least is a more usable 'Leader' scale giving more options for play & Display.

Not that I'd buy the Japanese one at retail price though it's not worth that much.
    I actually think the Voyager-Ultra CHMS New mould or an i Gear one is a better more usable size to me MP-10 is just another almost fits...

I think Ideally I want Optimus to be the same size as Universe Onslaught.

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Considering we're really only talking about a bunch of repaints of an old mold vs. a new mold, the choice is painfully obvious.

7. newbielives

newbielives Well-Known Member

I want to have both MP-10 and MP-04 but if I could only have one it would be MP-04 for the size and details. Easily the center piece of my collection

8. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Does the Justitoys add on just add rifle parts to gun mode or does it do anything to robot mode too?

Not handled MP-10 but for pure presence you can't beat the original MP Prime for a display centre piece. He's huge and detailed, just a shame Grimlock isn't on the same scale....now that would have been awesome.

9. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP-04

I don't own it but I do own MP-01 and I highly doubt the trailer would make the figure less cool.

That original MP mold is still the best for me. Sure the truck mode is not as accurate as MP-10 one is and sure it's too big and has too much diecast to fiddle with it a lot but I just can't believe how awesome and accurate it looks in robot mode.

I also own MP-10 and I love it but it's more a toy than a real masterpiece like MP-01/04. It's great to fiddle with it, pose it and it does look good in person but it doesn't scream "Optimus Prime" or "real masterpiece" to me like the original mold is.

10. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you want the ultimate Transformers display pieces and molds that scale well with Alternators/Binal-tech - get MP-04 and MP-05.

If, on the other hand you want transformers that'll scale well with either CHUG or Alternity and you want to also get MP Grimlock, Rodimus Prime* and the MP Seekers and have them work then get MP-10.

* Starred because weirdly enough MP Rodimus as Hot Rod works better with MP-01 in both modes, but MP Rodimus as Rodimus Prime works better with MP-10.

11. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

Thats so Weird I was Going to Start A Thread Just Like This :eek: 
    McSoundwave If you don't Mind if I Add too your Question,:) 

I was Going to Ask How Much, And What version was the Best too,:D 
    and Where is the Best Place to Get A MP Optimus Prime, I'm new to Collecting
    so I really Don't know Where to get Anything Thanks!:thumbs2: 

12. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You missed iGear PP01 Faith Leader; basically a scaled down KO version of MP-01. Works incredibly well with any Classics sized display, including MP Grimlock and the Seekers. I'm of the opinion that as nice as MP-10 is, he's a tad too big for Classics. Faith Leader fits the size and scale of the bot modes so perfectly.

Alt mode could use some improvement but unless you display in vehicle mode a lot of the time (I don't), MP-10 isn't worth it just for the trailer (you could also just wait for the inevitable Hasbro version if you have the patience). Faith Leader does the best job in bot mode at less than half the price.

13. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i would say buy both! mp1 ect for bot display and mp10 for truck display lol but if you can only afford one go for the original mold as looks awesome in bot mode

14. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I don't own any of them, nor have I ever seen one in person, but judging from pictures and reviews I think that MP-10 is by far the best. If it weren't for the price, I would soo want that and Rodimus.

15. zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx I'm watching you...

News Credits:
    MP01/04. MP-10 may have more flexibility and posability but I feel that you not only get more bang for your buck but that he just looks more like the culmination of optimus up to that point. Don't get me wrong I love the way MP-10 looks but its much more stylized with some weird proportions. MP-01 and 04 are also TANKS. Mine have taken some beatings and now my original MP-01 is being used by my 3 year old son and it has yet to break or be weak. I know there are plenty of horror stories of the US release versions so stay away from those.

16. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry - just got MP-10 and he craps all over MP-01 (and Faith Leader who I've also owned). Yes, he's crazy expensive but damnit if he hasn't gotten me smitten.

So there - ignore what I said previously - unless you REALLY want something that scales with the BT/Alternators then MP-10 is the way to go.

17. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro 20th is my favourite because I own him and don't own any others.

18. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    9 out of 10 Teletraans agree that MP-10 is the king now.

19. McSoundwave

McSoundwave Soundwave superior!

Yeah, this whole time I've been leaning towards MP-10. I just wanted to hear what others had to say on the matter though as I want this purchase to be a Marine scenario...one shot, one kill. MP-10 is likely the one I will opt for as I have MP Skywarp, Screamer, Grimlock, and RP and, naturally, want my OP to be in scale w/ them. Not to mention, he just looks fantastic. Anyhow, thanks for all the input peeps and keep it coming!

20. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty much what i was going to say myself. Mine arrived today and the pictures dont do him justice. In hand he is stunning. I havent been able to put him down all day. He has been transformed back and forth countless times now. I just love the transformation and the alt mode is a thung of beauty. Reminds me of one of the idw comics in escalation where he is driving through the snow in russia i believe. Yeah hes expensive but no i dont regret the splurge on him. To me he is the definitave G1 prime.