Minor/Repaint: Masterpiece (of crap) Deluxe Reflector!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Unicron9, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Some wish the 3rd part reflector was a bit bigger, and some are dandy with how it is. For those who have wanted the chance to have a nice, sturdy, more G1 accurate, deluxe, metallic set of these guys... this isn't it.

These were made by painting up a deluxe sized KO set.
    Notice how carefully I didn't add any real extra detail, and slapped the con symbol on as an afterthought just to call him done. Behold the beautiful way the tabs just don't connect well enough to make a solid looking camera.
    Yep... this didn't go well, but although I quit caring near the end, I finished them just to post them. Just so the idea could be seen and people would know what this KO set is all about, and so the time I spent struggling with them isn't a total waste.

I had nearly finished them all, only had the red eyes to paint in, when I bumped into one and he fell a whole 3 feet from my desk. This of course broke both legs off at the hip ball joints, and that SUCKS to try and repair.
    Well, using tennax, plastic wield, and sculpt, I got his legs back on well enough for photos if nothing else.
    I noticed right off the bat they were made cheaper than poo, as expected with many KO figs, but the plastic is soft and really thin. The paint job will probably crack in thousands of places if anyone were to keep them, and just transforming them I had chips happen since paint hates to stick to slick soft plastic.
    So these suck and will probably go straight to the garbage can. I wouldn't sell them to anyone as a custom from my workshop.
    If anyone wants them for some reason (doesn't mind touching up paint scrapes after handling or has a custom use for them? I dunno.) I'll ship them straight out for $25.
    But for now, here they are. A waste of 3 of my days and nights.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

That... doesn't look all bad. Or not nearly as bad as you say. I don't have the original PE set to compare though. But whatever frustration you seem to have had with the figures themselves don't reflect (unintentional) on the paint job you've done.

The... "Planet of the Apes" faces though I have to question. I don't recall seeing any issue with the faces on the original PE set, why does the knock off set have those?

3. Joey_Santana

Joey_Santana Shockwave fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh man, I'm so sorry for you. Actually I'm sorry for myself and a few friends who bought these KO set as well...
    I have just ordered mine a couple of weeks ago and at the first glance at KO toys website I suspected they were exactely like you described here.
    I ordered anyway because I aways wanted a reflector in my collection...
    Too bad I have already ordered them...they should be arriving next week.

Anyway, other than that you have done such an exceptional paintjob and IMO bro...Keep them for yourself just like they are, don't sell them.

Despite the poor quality plastic issues you described they have now a great custom paintjob to be sold out for mere 25 bucks.

4. Joey_Santana

Joey_Santana Shockwave fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:

"Planet of apes faces"

HAHAHA THANKS A LOT! I was trying to relate their faces to something I saw but couldn't place it

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Well, the pictures look nice, at least. :) 

Damn... I wanted this set. I'm used to KO's, but if this trio is even worse than usual... meh.

zmog

6. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you're being too hard on yourself, they look good. I'll take them for the $25 if you haven't unloaded them yet

7. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    damn i bought mine 3 days ago ...

anyway the paint job looks very crisp and clean . sorry to hear that u had so many problems with those

8. Carpool

Carpool Well-Known Member

These are actually quite good.

9. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is there any way to harden the plastic from the inside? These looked fairly hollow when I saw them online so maybe some filler or a coat of future on the inside might give some strength? A little disappointed as I ordered a set myself to customize. I was going to try and add ankle articulation and do head swaps to get them to where I wanted them. now I'm scared they might not even be useful for that.

I agree with others though- excellent paint job

10. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    dont be too hard on yourself they look great in the pictures, but i do find i am more critical of my own work than others are.

but i will say they need a head swap

and to someone that asked about it the PE figs have a very similar expression the heads are just so small it doesnt look that bad

11. benclark1982

benclark1982 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they look fine, in fact i was aprehensive about buying a set of my own just to do this same thing and now i think that i will bite the bullet and do it. Great work.

12. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

I have this set on the way to me from KOToys so I can do the same thing. I guess I should prepare myself, eh? Either way mate, they look fantastic. You didn't "make" them so it ain't your fault. Good work!

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Dude, these look really good. They may be craptactular in actual plastic quality, but as showpieces that don't get posed often/ever they do a fine job. It kind of sounds like you're just bitter about the one who had his legs break off, but it could have happened to anybody and visually he looks fine.

14. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In other words... keep dreaming that one day maybe PE will make larger versions of these guys themselves... =/

15. zodconvoy

zodconvoy Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is getting together with me and we're ordering a set each. I just need something to put on my Con shelf that isn't a Seeker. The only reason I'm not offering to take these off your hands is the leg damage. If mine are going to be broken, I want the satisfaction of breaking them!

Still, great job! Would a RTS Perceptor head fit on the neck?

16. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

The heads are molded to the neck, and hollow like every other part of him. From the back all you see is thin hollow open plastic in bot modes.
    I'm going to test how strong my leg repair was now that it is fully cured. If they legs are stable, I'll offer him to one of the people wanting him (the first person who asked as on Deviantart) for a bit more. If his legs come back off I wouldn't even feel right charging the $25 I paid for it.
    I'm not just bitter that one broke so easily. Plastic fusion paint is chipping and parts don't stay connected well even though I sanded them before painting.
    If they had been worth the trouble, I would have swapped the heads.
    Thanks for the nice comments on the work I did though guys.

17. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

I think they look great painted, you did a fine job. Thanks for the heads up about the crap plastic as I really was thinking about getting these. I have the PE set and love them they are great BUT they are pretty small to fit in with my MP/alternator collection...

18. pumpkingonzo

pumpkingonzo Stunticon lover!

Ebay:
    Totally agree with Alloy Alchemist!! You've done a great job, I think they look really good. The PE set is great, I'm lucky to own one but they are very small.

19. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Weren't they about half the size of Starscream in G1? I mean, i know most of the cons were the same size and Megatron, including Starscream, but wouldn't the PE set look right with CHUG figures?
    I'm finally thinking about getting that set.

20. pumpkingonzo

pumpkingonzo Stunticon lover!

Ebay:
    Hi Unicron-9!
    I'd definitely recommend the PE set, pretty cool figures really. You're probably correct saying next to the Classics range etc they'd look good, it's probably just me being a real anal fussy git! :)  In that scene in the original episode when Thundercracker takes a picture of the yellow truck, before Reflector transforms he's about 2/3 the height of Thundercracker. Again, I do like the PE set, I just wish they were a little wider and taller.
    I was thinking of ordering the set you've posted, not sure if I will now..
    The job you've done is really good, I like your pictures.
    I apologize if I've come across a bit sad in my post, I was just surprised when the PE set arrived to how small the figures were. Should've done my homework a bit better I guess....
    I'm starting to ramble, sorry! :)