Masterpiece MP-36 Megatron 2.0 In Hand Video

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by MachineHeart88, Mar 17, 2017.

1. PrimalPrime007

PrimalPrime007 Well-Known Member

Quakewave feels far more robust and well made, so yes.

But I guess we have to disagree.

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your blind hatred towards third party figures is well documented on these forums so it comes as little to no surprise that you make these remarks. However, anyone thinking logically will admit that Apollyon recreates many aspects of the G1 Megatron toy in a very respectable manner. And at it's current market value, it's a very tempting option for those looking to add an MP class Megatron to their shelf.

MP-36 is far from perfect. With what appears to be some questionable proportions, over sized head (gap between face and helmet is clearly visible in the video), crazy forearm kibble/transformation, MP Shockwave looking boots, etc.

I'm not ignoring the fact that MP-36 has its plusses (which are many) and it's negatives. When I get mine, I'll open it up and decide for myself. But please stop making ignorant posts full of hyperbole. We already know where you stand so your opinion isn't going to sway anyone away from 3rd Party figures.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm going to say that the head is in a decent size, it would be stupid a smaller head, even in the most decent and detailed shots we got from him, you can look how consistent is the size of the head with the abdomen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apollyon exagerated in that aspect making him with a oversized abdomen in respect with his arms and head, despotron made it worse that.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  4. Zethrofax

Zethrofax Well-Known Member

I have no issues 3P stuff so that isnt the essence of what I am refuting here. But the whole power issue does not have to be represented physically in the same way an organic being does. Robots dont have muscle or fat. The ratio of their arms and chest does not inherently equate to more or less physical strength. That's what kills me about people calling machines, fat, skinny etc. Megatron can be powerful while still resembling his cartoon model. Transformer physiology is more dependant on their spark than anything else in the fiction. The way i see it he could just have a more innately strong power center and structure than and average bot despite a thinner frame.

5. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    Blind hatred that's well documented you say? Well well well I'd never have thought. Thinking logically it creates many aspects of the G1 toy in a respectable manner? In what manner is it recreating the G1 toy? There's absolutely no redeeming features on the figure. Absolutely none. I'll give credit where due but there's not a single aspect that I would praise about the figure. It's got a face that only a mother would love, or in this case, blind loyalty. I don't really care enough to know the Megatron bootlegs. There was a picture of it in this thread and I hadn't realised how bad this one looked. Terrible, in every sense of the word....just downright terrible.

6. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The thing I do like about the MP Megatron being so cartoon accurate is that he looks very different from the 3P options. It's hard to even compare them and say that one is better than the other. I had Despotron and he was an amazing figure but I'm looking forward to seeing what Takara can do.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Absolutely true. They're transformers and thus unlike organic creatures, strength does not equal a bulky, poweful body or size.

I can remember in the 80's when I put my G1 Jetfire and Gears together and realise that this towering Jetfire was physically not as strong as the puny little Gears.

And for normal strenght of above normal, I'm okay with that.

But appearances also count, and thus for the really powerful, the Dinobots, Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus and Megatron (who in the Marvel comics was only beaten once in physical combat and only because of his many injuries and beat the crap out of the Dinobots who later would go on to defeat Trypticon), I like them to have a powerful build.

If I display my collection and I tell someone that those Dinobots are really poweful bruisers, then seeing the FT Dibots, they believe that. If I tell someone that Optimus Prime is a powerful hero, then seeing MP-10 you believe that. And if Megatron is among the most powerful and definitely the most powerful Decepticon with a track record of winning every physical fight (in the Marvel comics), then MT Despotron makes that believable, moreso than MP-36 does imo.

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Once again you provide no actual facts to your argument. You simply jumped on the face sculpt bandwagon. Just to name a few toy features that Apollyon replicates better than MP-36: the stock on the 'UNCLE' Megatron is rectangular, not tubular. The chest on Apollyon is actually the slide of the pistol, not a flip down cover. The hammer pieces on Apollyon is the actual pistol hammer split in two, not faux pieces that flip up.

So there's at least three factual pieces of evidence where Apollyon replicates the G1 toy Megatron better than MP-36.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The magazine didn't say that the barrel can be positioned like the g1 toy does?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  10. Zethrofax

I can appreciate that and wont argue the sentiment. To me Megatron never seemed like an extraordinary physical powerhouse in G1. So it's not important that he look that part. I picutured him being formidable not due to his physical strength as much as his ruthless cunning. He is very powerful but it's not why he is in charge it's just one tool at his disposal. For the purposes of this figure an accurate cartoon representation and a cool transformation is what I am looking for

• Like Like x 2
  11. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yes and that's the principal problem from some people.

They remember megatron like a powerful, emotionless, stronger, with every muscles in their head, when megatron was such a loser with plan of the week that failed miserably, he was more strategic and scientific than that.
    The only that protayed him very well was marvel, but even the MP-36 can recreate that profile better than the 3P.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RichP

RichP Slick Doohickey

Instagram:
    The way I see it is that Megatron didn't need brute strength due to his cunning intelligence as others mention. Plus, he had a gun that was bigger than everyone else's that made their brute strength meaningless. That cannon on his arm was powerful, and when he's in gun mode even moreso. Not to get off topic, but what separates him and Galvatron is that he needed someone to "shoot"him where as the latter did not.

• Like Like x 1
  13. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Says the brillant guy...

14. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ahh, nothing like an official thread where someones proclaims this is the best and I'm so glad I didnt get X,Y,or Z and someone gets "triggered". People love expressing their opinion till it's some stuff they don't want to hear.

• Like Like x 1
  15. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

Funny that, mine is still in perfect shape, standing upright in one piece and no way feels brittle and I've transformed him numerous times and still has the V2 factory tight installed shoulder sockets.

That said...MP36 is mine, and will be my definitive version.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

Sounds just like any given 3P thread as well... Especially a Fans Toy one.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Zethrofax

It's the same in 3rd party forums. In all the 3p Megatron threads there are multiple people talking about how Dx9 or Maketoys is superior due to the aesthetics they prefer and talking trash about the official being too skinny and wearing a diaper.
    People get way too upset that people have differing opinions. I like this better visually than the 3p options as a person whos owned appolyon and despotron. Also I preferred laserwave to quakewave despite the formers color being a bit too bright. And that's okay. I have no desire to shit on things others enjoy in order to justify my enjoyment of the things I like.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    While 3rd Party does some nice work, they haven't out done any Takara Masterpiece efforts. You can use any metric to make your case about 3rd party, more diecast, small detail here or there, paint, proportions etc... BUT on the whole Takara gets more right and more meaningful things right. The likeness/face sculpt and faithfulness to the source material. The engineering/transformations are always more intuitive and enjoyable. The overall package feels more professional and balanced. Takara may have some small issue release to release but as a complete package they just consistently get more right than wrong.

Now when it comes to 3rd Party "chug" style figures like Maketoys, they are doing some great things, truly competing with Hasbro/takara.

Masterpiece though is such a specific aesthetic and so far even Fanstoys struggles to hit the mark in a truly satisfying way. I own several and I can't help but feel if Takara made a Swoop, I would like it much more.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Ah, but my Megatron is Marvel Megatron. Not the loser from the cartoon who got beaten in every episode by Optimus Prime, Grimlock, Skyfire or whomever was around at the time. Marvel Megatron was beaten in only one fight: the one against Shockwave when Megatron was still recuperating from his injuries, while defeating Optimus Prime, all five Dinobots and Predaking in combat.

To me the MP does fit in the Marvel mould, as he was drawn more mechanical in Marvel. More like an alien machine, compared to very humanoid cartoon model. I'm starting to see the MP more and more as this mechanical version.

But if you think of Megatron as being very powerful, than to me the MP doesn't convey that very well. Maketoys' Despotron and DX9 Mightron look more physically powerful than the MP.

20. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Despotron recreates more the DreamWave Megatron IMO.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]