Masterpiece MP-32 Convoy Beast Wars (Optimus Primal)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by chuckcjc, Oct 31, 2016.

1. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Opened Convoy up yesterday for the first time, after already having him for over a week (having a 6 months old kid will do that to you, AND I was messing around with MP Thrust who arrived in the same package). So... It's a beautifully executed figure. Luckily, the paint was all perfect on mine, on both the faces and on his body. I'm starting to suspect I'm correct in thinking Takara's Masterpiece figures are from earlier, better production batches than the Hasbro Asia production batches. Same factory but different QC and attention to detail, as if production for Takara is overseen by Takara officials, who leave the factory as soon as their batches are done, allowing subsequent production standards to drop.
    Anyhow, I digress. Beast Wars got me back into collecting Transformers back in the day (in fact I still have quite a few figures stored away, although they are mostly BW Neo figures). I had the original Optimus Primal, and I never gave his show accuracy (or lack of it) a second thought back then: he was a gorilla and he changed into a robot resembling Optimus Prime, which was exactly what the cartoon showed he did (I still love the cartoon, BTW). Unfortunately, I sold him on again (same as I did with most of the regular show cast), but I always sort of regretted it.
    Initially, I didn't really want to get Beast Convoy: he didn't fit in with the rest of my Masterpieces and I'd decided I wasn't going to invest in new toy lines any more, due to already collecting G1, Diaclone, Masterpieces and Lego. However, as usual, Takara's prototype pictures made him look too good to pass up. In hand, I like him... But I'm not sure I love him. The robot mode is probably the best translation of the animation model to an actual figure that the Masterpiece line has seen. I love the attention to details, like the jet thrusters and the arm guns, and the clever way the legs and his back transform.
    The alt mode actually has the most character IMO, but as many have already mentioned, it's slightly flawed: visible robot legs, awful handling of the beast mode feet, panel lines and beautiful paint that seems destined to chip / rub off. Still, considering the novel nature (no pun intended) of an animal alt mode, I'll actually keep Beast Convoy in alt mode for the time being.
    I guess what I'm missing is more BW Masterpieces to put Convoy intro a certain perspective. Anyhow, until Cheetor gets here, and until we get official word of a Masterpiece Beast Megatron, I'll get Telemocha DX Megatron out of storage to keep Convoy company!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl Koruption_Kosplay

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Got this guy on discount from a local collectibles shop for black friday today hes pretty dang fun! i love the articulation in both modes. His weapons are cool i just wish his swords and ball and chain had somewhere to go in monkey mode. Otherwise hes extremely fun! Does anyone know what kind of batteries are needed for his eyes?

3. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    2 LR-44 battery

The lighting on my unit is kinda wonky. Sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't. Might be the way how the gorilla head/battery compartment is rotated and stored interferes with the connection

4. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just wish the paint on his face was more durable, I have barely handled mine and the default expression already has a massive scratch down the centre point.

5. delta7890

delta7890 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey guys, having a hard time getting Primal's shoulder butterfly joint to clip back into the inside of the torso. Am I doing something wrong?

6. Over Easy

Over Easy Well-Known Member

The tab that goes into the slot on the shoulder is placed pretty far forward, so you have to use some force. The easiest way I've found is to unclip his backpack in robot mode, and press inward on the hinge where the backpack attaches to the body. That'll push the tab backwards enough for it to reach the slot, but yeah, it still feels like you're about to break something.

• Like Like x 1
  7. delta7890

delta7890 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got it! Definitely scary but I don't think I stressed anything. Did it again a few more times on each shoulder and it seems to use much less force now.

Primal is super awesome. I love Beast Wars to death and this figure is a dream come true. Now here's hoping for Megatron down the line. :D 

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I find they clip in fairly easily if I put just a little forward pressure at the joint (not much, I don't want to shear the joint off or anything) as I'm hinging it back.

9. timcourtois

timcourtois Well-Known Member

Anyone have the electronics go out on your MP Primal? I put in the batteries and about 20 minutes later when I was playing with it, the eyes kind of flickered, and I can't get them to work anymore.

Wondering if others have had the problem, and if there's a fix.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

I just got him today as an early Christmas present from my dad, and I love this beautiful figure. I can't stop playing around with him.

11. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I love this figure to death! Had him in beast mode for a whole day before I even transformed him due to it having so much character. Love all the weapons, especially the ones that are integrated. Wish mine had come with the mace though. So solid in both modes. Really wish they had engineered the shoulder pads differently in both modes but that's really my only complaint. I'm super nostalgic for beast wars since it came along right at the perfect time for me and helped cement transformers as something that would stick with me and not fade away.

One question though: any tips on how to take the bot mode face off to swap it out? I can't get mine to budge and I want to use the squinty face. Thanks!

12. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    The gorilla legs and feet are a bit funky, but it does look the part when viewed from the front. Robot robot is great.

13. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Flail time!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  14. Shakespearean Saurian

Shakespearean Saurian Momentary Maximal

^ Fantastic picture! :thumb 

• Like Like x 2
  15. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Better off Pred

Work the "V" shaped eybrow area from the temples with a gentle wriggle as well as under the chin until you can feel it starting to move. If you can avoid using your nails you won't be risking scratching any paint off. I keep mine cut short and just pay attention to where my fingertips are gripping the figure. Also take a look at the spare faces and how they peg in, this will give you an idea of how the one currently locked in is connected. I hope this helps, I too struggled a bit changing the faces over, it was weeks before I found the courage to try it.

Squinty face is my preference too!

16. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Still can't get it out. Thanks so much for the advice though! I'll keep working it. Don't wanna scratch the paint

17. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl Koruption_Kosplay

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Forgot to reply to this earlier. It worked great! Im a little dissappointed that theres no way to keep the eyes turned on but takara managed to get this looking just like the show which is dam impressive.

18. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Finally got batteries for mine too. The lights look incredible! Yet another reason to love this figure.

19. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Primal loves the arrival of a package just as much as we plastic crack fiends do.

[​IMG]

Toy of 2016? Signature says 'Yes'.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got this figure for Christmas and I'm really happy with him - other than the blemishes on the finish. I thought it wasn't a big deal though, but now two of his gorilla-mode faces have ugly scuffs on them, presumably from transformation. Any suggestions on what to do, or any spare faces going about? I preordered this figure months ago from Kapow so I'm not sure if I can return it.

• Like Like x 1