Masterpiece MP-05 Bring on the Gestalts

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Emperor Bruticus IV, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Dont know about you guys but i would personally love to see a combiner masterpiece. I believe if they created one it would be around the height of Fortress maximus or taller? I am not too sure as i do not yet own a masterpiece figure (pre ordered Starscream however)
    If TakaraTomy are thinking big buisness they should be thinking this.
    What they should do is hire more artisans; split them into two teams, Give them basic rules of scale to abide by etc...and set them against each other to produce a gestalt each.
    One team could create an Autobot one I.E Superion (imagine how cool Silverbolt and Slingshot would be:cool:  .
    The other team should create a Decepticon combiner...I suggest MENASOR!
    OMG Motormaster would be the "ISH" Forget MP - Megs..You could use Motormaster as Primes main advasary! the knowledge on how to create these guys is already there.
    This would be a smart move because if you are going to buy one of these guys, the chances are " U GOTTA CATCH EM ALLL" sorry about that. but ukno who will resist buying them all with some killer combiner artwork on the back of the box.
    Also the numbers of autobots and decepticons will be the same.
    The Combiners where like the coolest thing about Transformers, everyone envied the person down the road who had one, so why not make them again but better?
    Itll be expensive but heyy, what isnt? we all have to make one sacrifice to bless another.

What do you guys think? and what combiner would you like to see most as a masterpiece??:inquisiti 

2. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I think it would certainly be a BOLD move on their part. I wouldn't by it though, it'd be too complicated and big.

3. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I will get what I want most in MP-03.

Too much bold there man.

4. Emperor Bruticus IV

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yes sorry about that..
    But cmooooon. Your telling me you woudnt love to have a Masterpiece Bruticus for your Masterpiece Starscream, just like Starscreams brigade????
    Diecast blastoff chest plate etc....
    It would display marvelously, seekers suspended on invisiable string around a gestalt. prime looking up hopelesly.

Some really show acurate stop motion clips could be created.

5. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    MP combiners would be cool looking but would be way beyond huge to actualy display (in scale), not to mention the cost of the indivdual bots.

6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Awesome as that would be, if they were somewhat close to in scale with MP01-03, they're just be too damn big to be practical. Not to mention it'd take years for them all to come out, and be expensive to the point of driving away a lot of people.

Now if they did it on a smaller scale, like THS... that could work. With the combined robot being around normal MP height.

7. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ‘Too big to display?’ Where’s it written that all Masterpiece Transformers need to stand as tall as Optimus Prime/Ultra Magnus? And they’re what, 12”? Building a gestalt like most traditional combiners, not like Devastator, would put the robot just a tad over 2 feet. Who doesn’t have room to display a piece like that? To think I thought everyone here had a few versions of the Headmaster Autobot base, Fortress Maximus:p 

Price shouldn’t be too much of a factor; it’s not like the Masterpiece line is priced at a value for all to own. I’ve always believed that they were made for the true collector, not some kid with an allowance to spend. If you find Masterpiece Transformers to be too expensive—this isn’t meant to be rude—perhaps you should find a cheaper line to purchase.

I would love to see a gestalt Masterpiece collection—each sold separately of course;)  I think get them to stay together would be a very hard challenge, as I imagine the bots to be a little on the very heavy side—joints would have to literally reinforced to keep the robot together.

Transformed

8. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Yeah, neat idea but not likely to happen. Well, you never know with Takara/Hasbro now. We never thought we would get US re-issues, binaltech/alternators, MP Prime, MP Screamer, reissue Predaking or the TF Classics line but fandom has gotten just about every wish they wanted.

9. Crimson87

Crimson87 Senior Member

I wish they would do this with an ALT set. A devastaor with each piece being ALT size, maybe not alt scale but alt size.
    I would be hard making 6 toys that don't have doubles and it would tak a little more effort in thinking how they fit together.

But I really feel a 6 piece alt combiner set slowly released would be a welcome addition to the line.

Superion would also be nice.

They also have the cars to do Menasor, they just need to rengineer them a bit for connectors, You can bet your bottom dollar I'd buy a second set with attachable dead-end and dragstrip/decepticharge.

10. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I don't.

I don't.

I'm not a kid with an allowance. I'm an adult with a job. And this would still be too expensive for me.

Actually, I think a MP Gestault would be completely awesome, and this is the only point in your post I agree with. It would be the bee's knees. Honey to Pooh. Spinach to Popeye. Marijuana to Cheech and Chong. But the idea is just far too much. Even if you made an MP Gestault that stood 12" high, the engineering would be unimaginable. I DO think it would be possible to create a fully-articulated gestault, however, the individual pieces couldn't be nearly that detailed in alt mode... though I could see it possible for the pieces in bot mode (see: Energon combiners - they came close).

As awesome an idea it is... it would take some SERIOUS bank to design these, let alone produce em.

It's an awesome idea. Many other people have suggested the same thing. But it'll never happen. It's just not practical in any way, shape, or form.

I apologize if I seem mean... ask anyone who's interacted with me, they'll tell ya I'm nice. :p  But... I feel like some blunt corrections were appropriate.

11. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I would have no interest in a combiner that was the size of Fort Max. That's just too big for display/living purposes.

Now on the other hand, if they made a MP Devastator that stood as tall as MP Prime in combined mode, was cartoon accurate, and combined without the need for the extra add-on hip part and arm parts, I'd gladly pay $200+ for it.

12. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Every fan would love a masterpiece combiner. Though I doubt that the time and money needed to be spent on such a large scale project would yield a profit...Ain't gonna happen. Hell, even the Energon combiners are half assed! Hasbro (u.s.a.) would NEVER finance this idea, don't think Takara would either:rip 

13. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This was asked at Botcon last year.

Hasbro basically said 'No'.

IIRC, more specifically, they said it wouldn't be possible to maintain the level of detail and create a set of robots that merge at the same time.

14. Emperor Bruticus IV

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    hmmmm......You can never bee too sure. The popularity of transformers is growing year by year, and with a film on the brink its set to blow even bigger. The market for such a thing is growing - MP is no where as big as the mainstream lines but still. I personally dont think it would be an ultimate challenge. Hard yes - impossibly expensive no. Im a 19 year old design student with a passion for this sorta thing. If i get enough spare time this summer I might even just Design it Myself. The only thing that would be hard is designing The alt and robot forms. Making them join together is not so hard. It wouldnt be very diffrent from g1 (just more articulation - ball joints etc.)
    I believe it would be Within reason to make a Menasor at least, thats why i suggested him. Motormaster probably could be made from recycled Mp prime parts. Hell someone could probably kit bash one up, little bita sculpy,careful thought and imagination..uknooo.....
    I can sorta work out how to do it and i havent even put real thought into it; So im more than sure the guys over at TakaraTomy could! I know someone is thinking itll never stand "the weight the weight" but alls that would need to be done is to make Motormaster "thighs" & the legs (breakdown & wildrider) more diecast than the others with good feet plates and bots your uncle. The feet and fists would have to remain accesories. The Menasor head maybe could be hidden inside Motormaster somehow.
    Bruticus for example would be hard very to design, I cant dispute the rest of the combiners either.
    But cmon guys..who would u like to see any way, if money - space etc wasnt a factor?????

15. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

The problem here is that the individual bots that made up the gestalt teams were never particularly interesting in themselves. What made them cool was the ability to combine, and their designs were compromised in order to make the combined robot look its best. Yet for a Masterpiece line, they'd have to be cool on their own as well.

Not withstanding the difficulty of making them up to Masterpiece standards while still making them able to combine, consider this: to be at Fort Max size, each individual member of a figure gestalt team would be approximately the size of Starscream or Prime. You're talking about $100 each...$500 for most gestalts and $600 for Devastator. I think that's outside most of the fandom's budget, decent job or not.

16. Wheels

Wheels Cammy's Boy Toy

QFT

But why does it have to all or mostly be diecast? Who said that to be a MP it must have diecast? Why can't it be plastic with MP detail?

Oh sure, a 12"+ combiner may need some metal, for stability, and such. But as long as the Gestalt has full articulation, and little or no attachments, I really don't care what the individual parts look like. Well okay, maybe a little. :D 

Someone brought up the Energon combiners, and I believe that if the proper time and adequate engineering was spent, it would of been some of the best combiners out there now.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    First they should reissue more boxsets of the combiners. Devastator, Menasor, Superion, Bruticus, Defensor, Abominus, Computron, Raiden, King Posiedon, Road Caesar, Liokaiser, Dinoking and Monstructor. Predaking and Landcross have already been reissued successfully. Do the rest, THEN make Alt or MP combiners.

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The only way I could see a Masterpiece gestalt happening would be if it was made smaller - less on the size, more on the detailing and engineering. 12" would be a maximum, probably a bit less. But as Kid Dynamite said, the gestalts were never that exciting as individuals - I own every last one of them - and the majority of the individual units were pretty bland. Devastator is a slight exception, but other than the Predacons and Liokaiser, the gestalts didn't get that interesting as individuals until Beast Wars and Robots in Disguise.
    However, a set of Constructicons would be kinda cool. Only way I could see them happening would be if they were sold as a set of six, at the Masterpiece pricepoint or slightly higher, or sold as two sets at just over half the price of Convoy. Basically, you'd get a Devastator at a decent size, with fairly large Constructicons, but they'd be closer to the scale of the original toys against MP Convoy rather than any meaningful scale from the fiction.

19. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    I like the idea but i imagine it will more expensive than a normal MP. and that's not good for me.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Would be awesome (and I'd like to see Menasor too) but it'll never happen. way too expensive. I'd be perfectly happy if they extended the classics line and they improved on the Energon combiner technology (give them real hands and feet, and make the individual toys a bit more stable)