Masterpiece Megatron; Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sage o' G-fruit, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Same as the title says.

What do you guys think, should I pick one up?

2. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I heard people have a few problems with the transformation yet I really like this piece and im trying to sell of my extra to make some of my spent money back. lol.

3. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

Yes. It's fiddly to transform, and some of the joints feel a little fragile, but it more than makes up for those flaws by being a great display piece.

4. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    It is a great peice of art, sadly though I have to part with mine bills and all, So if you do decide to get on I have a MIB one with the Perfect Edition accesory kit(gives him all the extra G1 style parts) I'd let go for $160+shipping ;) 

5. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would get one. Like others have said, it is a great display piece. I have never transformed mine.

6. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes. The difficult transformation is part of the fun. Looks fantastic in robot mode, and the oversized gun with laser site is great. Slimaximus has a good price on his...I'm still thinking about the upgrade kit myself.

7. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Sage: I'd definitely go for it if you can find him at a good price! I've got mine that I purchased at full retail and enjoy him immensely! Some day I'll track down the Accessory kit. I've seen images of it, and think that it adds to the overall piece, and read that it also gives him a little more stability, as it has pieces that replace the outside of his shins w/ metal plates...

I've seen a Megs & Accessory Kit listed here on TFW's B/S/T forums for $120+shipping, (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/items-sale-trade/242696-masterpiece-sale-must-go.html), although it's always a good idea to check around and see what kind of deals you can find yourself!

My only complaint with the figure was that he's a little thin in the legs (due to the transformation), and that when you display him w/ his cannon on his arm, he kind of leans that direction... Otherwise, I think he's a pretty cool piece of engineering...

8. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you definitely should pick it up. I love mine

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hell. No.

I can easily say that this is one of the worst TFs I own, it's put me off the Masterpiece line entirely and is the only instance where I genuinely feel ripped off by a TF purchase. True, one or more of the issues I have with it are present on other TFs...but none of them cost $100 before shipping. To run through the list quickly:

- Parts come off very easily - Particularly the shoulderpads and panels on the sides of the shins. And I don't mean when transforming the figure or manipulating it heavily; I moved Megatron over to dust my shelves a few weeks ago and decided to change his pose a little bit. Both shoulderpads and one of the shin guards came off. For a $100 figure, I expect the parts to connect securely.
    - Waist connection is extremely weak - On my copy, at least, the clip and tab that hold the waist together do not hold at all. Again, I'm not talking about heavy manipulation here, just moving the figure over and trying to shift the pose a little. Hell, I couldn't even pick it up to dust without the waist going. Again, a $100 figure should not have this problem.
    - Odd joint tolerances - Some joints (ankles and a few others) are loose and others (knees, especially) are extremely tight. Makes it difficult to pose the figure, especially with the waist constantly coming apart.
    - Transformation - It's not impossible or anything (and the gun mode is neat), but with the number of pieces that come off easily, the tight joints and some areas that seem very fragile, it's a pain in the ass.
    - "Cosmic rust" - The diecast metal pieces will turn orange-brown. Some of the issues above may be a case of different tolerances between different figures, but the tarnishing is a virtual guarantee.

On the plus side, the robot mode is a very good representation and it looks great displayed in that mode. However, with all the engineering problems, it's only good as an over-priced, slightly mobile statue. I know I'm belabouring this, but a figure at the $100 price point should not have the number of massive, glaring flaws this toy possesses.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  10. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yes, and if you pose his legs in a certain way, the fusion cannon will not lean him over, mine is standing straight, the transformation is fun, just remember to read the instructions the first time, and you'll be fine, he is one of the figs i will never get rid of

all in all i would say if you have an mp prime, you need a megs, and scantron, not flaming you or trying to piss you off at all, you just convieniently had every complaint about this figure in one post, easy to answer with my experience with the figure

11. Autoclot

If you display him with his legs slightly apart (the hips do tilt out slightly), that isn't a problem. I actually have mine leaning slightly to the other side (quirk of how I last put him down, rather than intent or toy issues). It's not easy to get him to hold the legs apart pose on a shiny surface, though - I have him on an old high-friction mouse mat, which keeps him quite stable :) 

Cool? The engineering on this piece is sub zero :cool: 

12. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

buy him!

13. CowColor

CowColor Get Money™

I heard that it can break easily, i suggest the MP Grimlock since it does look very nice and more sturdy than megatron.

14. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Got one if you want one

15. Autoclot

It does have some parts which look as if they could break easily (most notably the clips that lock the hip plates into the slide), but they are actually stronger than they look.

The one point that I would be slightly more careful with is the spine / shoulder links. They really should have been made out of metal, since they're quite thin, but even so, they're not exactly egg shells.

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey, no worries. I realize a lot of it can be due to the usual variances in quality control between different copies of a figure and just wanted to put out there that it is possible to get a bad copy. And I have heard a number of other people make at least some of these comments before, so it's not just my copy of the toy. I'm willing to give TFs a bit of lee-way on a lot of things, but I'm pretty harsh on poor engineering...particularly in the Masterpiece line, at this price point. Given their rep, I have much higher expectations of Takara, basically.

I'm impressed with the complexity of the transformation, but there's just too much frustration and risk of breakage. I TF'd mine back-and-forth once and then figured "this has enough problems, I don't want it broken too."

This surprises me a little, though. I've seen enough reports of the tarnishing that it seemed like a constant with this figure.

Maybe, but that really has nothing to do with whether MP Megatron was/is worth $100 or not.

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    My single favorite transformer, hell my single favorite figure I've ever purchased. Absolutely worth owning. A marvel of transformers engineering, very worth the price.

And in my experience, a lot of the flaws some people complain about (such as a lot of pieces popping off) aren't present on my figure, the joints all seem fine, everything holds together well. The tarnishing is however present, which while unfortunate, as long as the tarnish doesn't harm the figure structurally it's just an aesthetic issue, and the only place it really is visible in that case is the feet.

The transformation, while some decry it as a crime against humanity was one of the biggest selling points for me. I LOVE a good, challenging transformation, and MP05 delivers that in spades. If ever there was a perfect modern update to a G1 Transformation, it would be Masterpiece Megatron. His transformation is near identical to that of his G1 self, just much more involved and detailed. I find the challenge fun. And while you should be careful when doing it, as long as you know what you are doing and understand that the parts on him are meant to be done in a very specific manner, by the time you've transformed him a couple times it should take less time and stress each time you do it. First time for me took a long time (at least an hour I think, maybe more), now I've got him in 20-30 minutes, being careful.

That, and he just looks good on display, and comes with some nifty extras in beautiful collector packaging. I mean it is just beautiful. Opening mine for the first time was just a wonderful experience (was my first really collector oriented figure). Hell, I got mine MISB for $90 at SDCC 08, I feel like I underpaid.

18. machinegeist

machinegeist Victory not Vengeance

Im going to say if your a Megs fan get him, other than that pass on him. Sure he looks good and all, but im on my second one as i bought my first one at a convention and ended up returning him as parts snapped off as I was transforming him, the gun barrel to be precise.

19. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    if u can afford it, of course! amazing reprensentation of the G1 character.. even though its hard to transform.. and it doesnt break that easily.. just be careful, thats all

20. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

This, seriously dont buy this piece of crap.