Masterpiece Megatron V2.0 is happening in 2017!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    Man I prefer the non metallic faces. Brings out the sculpt and allows for a more clear graphic statement. Really pops.

I don't mind metallic when it's not too reflective and it's on the lighter side. Shiny faces cause all kinds of bizarre reflections and distortions that aren't flattering.

A good example, Prowls face suffers from having his face and eyes the same value so there is no pop or life in his eyes. He could use the same coloring as MP Ratchet. Similar set-up, white helmet, grey face light blue optics. Now you could also just paint his eyes or Wheeljacks eyes lighter, but I still think their are a few shades too dark anyway.

I think Smokescreen pulls off the silver/blue eyes better. Magnus is nice too.

I don't want a PVC figure either. Little touches of chrome, metallics and jeweled Translucent bits are great as accents against bold, crisp, vivid paint.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it depends on the silver paint used. Prowl's silver was quite dark... But even then, I *love* Prowl's face exactly as it is, and don't think it would look anywhere near as nice using Ratchet's grey. That said, I admit I quite like the colour used for Ironhide and Ratchet's faces, but that's because it still has a very slight metallic, flakey edge to it (or at least the illusion of one). If they'd used that colour for Bumblebee, I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it - it still brings out the edges and definition, at least. But the super-glossy and reflective white paint on Bumblebee's face hides all the detail far more than any silver paint - the edges and details are brought out much more nicely in the G2 version's silver (which is why I painted the crest on my G2 version's face and use that on my G1 Bumblebee - problem solved :)  ). I don't care for the satin finish on Inferno's face, though - it reminds me of one of those UFO sweets from the 80s.

So, yes, if they used that mostly-grey-but-with-a-touch-of-metallic effect they used Ironhide and Ratchet on *faces only* it wouldn't be *as bad* - but I still think Megatron would look a lot better with full metalic silver paint for the body. The pale grey all over reduces the impressiveness of the (great!) mould, and looks especially odd on the gun alt mode. I just don't really understand the over-literalmindedness of recent colour choices, I guess. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sam

Sam It's over Prime

News Credits:
    Blame the Legends line for the more cartoon-style of the MP line:

"When comparing Inferno and Grapples designs I intentionally changed a few details to establish them as separate characters, fans may not even pick up on the differences. I wanted to rediscover the charm of the originals through these products so we tried to differentiate their physique. As we are also going for a contemporary style with the Legends line, we thought we should pay homage to the original animation models with the high end Masterpiece line.

In the Masterpiece series I want to pursue the poseability of an action figure such as standing with one knee raised and bending forward at the waist. I’m really pleased Transformers has been awarded the Good Design Long Life Award. I would like everyone to have a familiarity with the Transformers. Before 2017 ends, a much long awaited character will be revealed. We hope you will enjoy!"

Translation from the Generations book courtesy of Jeremy of soundwavesoblivion.com

• Like Like x 6
  4. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Intrigued!

• Like Like x 1
  5. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

What a tease! Can't wait to find out who. 2017 is gonna a great year.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Prime135

Prime135 "Once more unto the breach"

News Credits:
    Poorly posed - check
    Mistransformed (no hands) - check
    All we need are some gross fingernails or a disgusting desk and the pre-release masterpiece cycle will be complete :lol 

• Like Like x 4
  7. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:

And the back is missing some parts of the actual back.

8. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Astrotrain?, jazz?, omega supreme?, some convoy or leader from any continuity? UNICRON?!!, galvatron?, jetfire?.

9. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looking closer the part that seems to be missing from the left side of his back is actually there - it's just still flipped out so we're looking edge-on so it's hard to see. That leaves the big horseshoe shaped part in the middle of the back which is there but does look different. Perhaps a missing extra covering part or maybe the part has been redesigned.

I also noticed another difference between that test shot and the magazine/book pics - the panels on the back of his lower legs extend further upwards towards the knee on this testshot.

So obviously still a few tweaks being made at this early stage.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm thinking it'll be someone like Jazz or Mirage since they're constantly brought up as the most wanted overall. Barring either of those, maybe Sunstreaker mainly because everyone's been waiting/hoping for him to complete the Lambo's since Sideswipe. If it's a Con, then I'd bank on Blitzwing since he's the highest profile and most popular triple-changer, or Galvatron since that's another one people have been clamoring for since Hot Rod V2 and of course Ultra Magnus.

IMO, those seem like the most likely candidates for what Takara would consider a "much long awaited character".

• Like Like x 3
  11. Omega Riz

Omega Riz Well-Known Member

Don't forget that one figure is on top of another with nothing in between garenteeing that some of us get a figure with paint chips!......

12. chucksbikeorama

chucksbikeorama Decepticreep

Gotta be Jazz or Galvatron. All other bets are off (unless it's mirage or SS, to right the 3P-almost-rights-but-so-very-wrongs)

• Like Like x 2
  13. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

As for Sunsurge and Sphinx, I think they nailed the toy look with a hair of the toon tossed in. Sphinx is basically the G1 toy minus the over the shoulder wheels, I never bought Surge, but have handled him. That said, I'll welcome a more toonish version of both.

I know it's not official but I like it, I have a Mirage, so as much as I want an official, I hope it's Hound or Jazz if it's a car bot.

14. Flesh Creature

Flesh Creature Human Germ

With every other carbot available or announced in 3P and MP versions, I'd be happy with MP Skids to finish em off.

But I think it's safe to bet that's not the highly anticipated character they're talking about. :) 

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  15. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Is this not simply referring to Megatron?

16. Sam

Sam It's over Prime

News Credits:
    Nope

17. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I would say Jazz then. But that is more something for the speculation thread.

18. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    I hear ya on the brightness of Bee's face but I know why they did it. Graphically you can either go lighter or darker in value to create a strong separation and since the yellow orange is not only a saturated color but higher in value and his animation model had a face lighter than the body, they made the call. I for one think it could still be a shade darker and still work, but I've seen the metallic on him and don't think it fits very well, IMO.

Now let's all remember that awesome concept piece that a board member created right after the announcement.

I have a feeling Takara will do a toy deco as a Toy show exclusive.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  19. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We have to agree to disagree on the silver on 'Bee's face - I think it fits really well:

bee-silver.jpg

But I know I'm not going to convince you. :) 

Putting the fact that I prefer silver to one side, though, I think the white-grey *could* have worked, but the paint they used was just too glossy, and the reflections that caused make his face look even flatter - which exacerbates the problem of the lack of definition and angles around his face.

Now *that's* the Megatron I want. This mould in those colours would be stunning. I hope you're right - fingers crossed for the Tokyo Toy Show this year or next.

• Like Like x 2
  20. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Funny how all my grievances with this figure go straight out the window when I see him in those colours!

• Like Like x 1