Masterpiece Megatron V2.0 has arrived... and he is GLORIOUS

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Sep 8, 2016.

1. HemanPrime

HemanPrime Well-Known Member

Hey guys... Quick question. Has anyone noticed any paint scratches or chipping on theirs? LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    The only alternative around paint chips is for either the design to be retooled for more clearance during transformation, OR not using paint at all. The latter I believe, would leave the figure looking cheap as hell.

Having transformed it twice at this point, I've accepted that paint chips will be a given. Nonetheless, I'll take that over bare plastic.

• Like Like x 4
  3. geekatron prime

geekatron prime old man bot TFW2005 Supporter

Not one scratch, ding, or dent! :D 

• Like Like x 2
  4. HemanPrime

HemanPrime Well-Known Member

LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  5. GodParticle

GodParticle Well-Known Member

Asking again - does anyone know a paint that matches the black portion on the hip skirts? I have some scratches out of the box and wondered if I can do anything to lessen their appearance

6. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

I only have very minor blemishes on the smaller pieces that rotate and pivot on to one another that make up the upper chest area.

They are pretty much unavoidable in these areas due to clearances and how they inherantly have to function to accomplish their tasks in transformation.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 3:21 PM
    • Like Like x 3
  7. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

I haven't opened mine yet (saving it for my birthday next week) but are these paint scratches big and hideous or something that would pass (display wise) as wear or a sort battle damage? Guess I'll find out Wednesday. Ben reading this thread for ages but haven't seen many actual photos of the scrapes.

8. GreyFox787

GreyFox787 Well-Known Member

I will say, seeing video reviews (like Peaugh) and then hearing of the paint chipping from everywhere makes me not want to transform mine. I prettt much always display in robot mode anyways...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Flesh Creature

Flesh Creature Human Germ

I've had mine since day 1 practically, and am too skittish too transform it because of the paint issue on this rather expensive figure.

It sucks. It's like having a trophy wife that you can only look at but can't touch or her skin might horrifically peel off.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 6:43 AM
  10. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Two weeks on and the love affair with MP-36 continues. What an outstanding figure, I've never seen a figure that exudes so much personality and badassery just from standing there. He's so awesome, it's like I haven't even bought a figure this year, MP-35, who's that? FT-08, who's that? That' s how incredible he is, what a figure. He's just so expressive, the accessories are so much fun, unlike my other figures they haven't been relegated to only box filler....partly because they have to be used in the transformation as well, haha! Every time I put him on my shelf he somehow always finds a way to my desk, I just can't keep my eyes and hands off him, he's simply amazing!

Well done, Takara, well done!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  11. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Absolutely not! In fact, and digressing slightly, I occasionally imagine a Transformer made with the same material and mould quality as Lego bricks! It'd be super strong with their perfected premium ABS mix. With the insane dimensional precision they achieve - just imagine a car mode that goes together almost as cleanly as the CAD model with almost unnoticeable seams and perfect alignment (take heed, Sideswipe!). Every joint with the intended and perfectly consistent stiffness. And we wouldn't even have to worry about paint - even a smooth glossy finish for a car body could be achieved through the material quality and mould surface finish quality alone. It would be glorious! Oh - and cost several times more per figure!! :) 

Anyway - back to reality... I'm not trying to make excuses for Takara out of some white-knighting fanboy motivation, nor even ruling out the possibility that maybe there is an actual manufacturing cock-up here with Megs. I just highly, highly doubt it because from what I see the paint job here is the same durability as on other TFs by HasTak, or 3Ps, or on other plastic collectables by other brands/companies, as Jarrod has provided good examples of.

People's eyes just seem to be a little more open to the paint wear issue with Megs here for what I think are a few factors combined...

- Complex transformation design. Several painted surfaces on Megs are, by nature of his transformation forced to contact other parts in the other mode. Many other figs are extensively painted but are able to avoid this by nature of their simpler designs - e.g. external painted car panels staying external on the bot mode - and therefore don't suffer as much.

- Extent of paint. This guy is more fully painted than probably... any other MP so far?

- High profile character and high price = high expectations whether reasonable or not.

No disrespect intended to you, but I doubt you have anything to teach Takara or their factories with your suggestions - pretty sure they are aware of the intricacies of surface preparations and available materials and processes for painting plastic. You can imagine magic unchippable paint that costs little more than what is already being used all you want - doesn't make it reality! They are working with what is really available and achieving results in line with previous products and their competitors' products, from what I see, just with the above factors making the issues seem more prominent for this release.

Just winds me and some others up a little when people, and I'm speaking more generally now - not singling you out, set their expectations to essentially fantasy-level, then when they are not met seem to delight in using that as a soapbox to 'stick it to the corporation' - all this 'TT cheaping out', 'fail Hasblo', 'this should be twice as good and half the price because I said so' - ugghh! The truth is very few companies making commercial products, like almost none, are not in a highly competitive market. Neither Takara, nor anyone else has the luxury of simply cheaping-out on costs but at the same increasing prices with pure profit - anyone that did that would be quickly destroyed by their competition. Reality is, it is and always has been a juggling act of compromises trying to find the sweetspot of quality vs. price that will result in as many people as possible considering the product worth buying. It could always be priced cheaper, but the quality would need to be lower and maybe nobody will buy it. Similarly, it could always be higher quality, but the price would be higher and again maybe nobody would buy it. People who think everything in the world could be hugely cheaper and higher quality were it not simply for corporate greed are living in a dreamworld! That may be true for a very few very niche products/markets, but certainly not in the highly competitive market our plastic toy robots are in.

Then again, on the other hand, I guess I must recognize not everyone does, nor should have to, know anything about the realities of engineering, manufacturing and marketing - so unrealistic expectations are always gonna happen! So you're entitled to yours I guess! :)  But still I live in hope my attempts to spread some rationality do rub off on certain posters - they might even enjoy the crap Hasblo puts out a little more. :)  I mean I've got background in engineering and product development, and a little in manufacturing. I personally consider the Takara guys on the MP line on the engineering/artistic side to be pretty much the best in the world at what they do, and I know that behind them, executing their work, Takara is up there with world leading toy manufacturing companies. So I personally see MP-36 and recognize it is state-of-the-art awesomeness at that pricepoint and a 30 year old dream come true despite its imperfections. Yet others will look at it and just genuinely think 'meh, for that price it should transform itself, fly and come with a shiny unicorn'! And I just find that a little sad, because it's a lack of appreciation and enjoyment born mostly out of na├»ve expectations, and I'd prefer people to experience the same joy I do. But hey ho it is what it is! :) 

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 8:38 AM
    • Like Like x 18
  12. artimus prime

artimus prime primed artist

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've thought about that idea in regards to using Lego's rubber tire compound. It lasts forever without cracking.

• Like Like x 1
  13. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

Wow, quite a wall of text above me there ... ;) 

... I sure hope more collectors with OCD issues did what I did and just took the hit - buy two Megs, one to get down and dirty with and the other to keep in pristine display condition, nurtured like the Vaseline'd hand of the bad rancher in Of Mice and Men ...

14. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Well-Known Member

If a plastic bumper on the front of a car can be painted and the paint not chip off every time a rock hits it with you going 70+ MPH, then I think Takara could paint a plastic toy that the paint doesn't chip off with you rotating the part at .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 MPH.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thormind

Thormind Active Member

Just received my Megatron yesterday. He looks amazing and the paint job is 100% perfect but im having a small issue. At first the legs where not at the same height but that was due to a mistransformation in the hip. Now when i pose him standing straight, i cant get the feet to align properly. Theres is always one foot in front of the other by around 1/4 inch. I havent found a solution for that problem but i have not tried to transform him yet (scared of paint chip/scratch). To me, it seems like a problem with the leg ratchets. Anyone else noticed the same thing?

I can still post him but not standing straight. Would you keep a figure with this issue?

16. HandlesIT

HandlesIT Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could see TT Mall exclusive MP-36C coming with a MP-36 chest with a toy Decepticon logo. Or maybe a MP-36 smirking face. This is based on how Delta Magnus came with Ultra Magnus aviators glasses/face.

17. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35 Well-Known Member

It depends how noticeable it is and if it will end up annoying you more and more after the newness of owning the figure wears off.

18. Balzari

Balzari Well-Known Member

Won't ever happen but TT could release 2 versions. 1 painted for display purposes and 1 unpainted for people more inclined to transform / play with their figures.

19. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Automotive paint is a completely different animal! Good luck applying a primer, base coat and very thick (relatively speaking) clear coat to a fiddly transforming toy! It would cost looooooads more too.

And it will still chip!! All those little stone impacts do chip and scratch automotive paint - very easily in fact. It's just mostly invisible because it is only a nick taken out of the clear coat. Although you'll get plenty big enough hits that do go right through the clear and damage the paint beneath - then you can see them just fine!

PAINT IS NOT INDESTRUCTIBLE!! I give up with you, dude! :) 

• Like Like x 10
  20. Balzari

Balzari Well-Known Member

With Hasbro's crazy "Year of the" releases, I could see a clear purple version as a homage to Megatrons transformation into Galvatron being popular.