Masterpiece Megatron V2.0 has arrived... and he is GLORIOUS

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Metal Sonic

Metal Sonic Dangerous Member

News Credits:
    I feel like Takara win every time on headsculpts. Look at those Megatron portraits. It doesn't even look real it's such a good representation.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    TakaraTomy are the heart and soul of TransFormers. They are not perfect but we are so lucky we are not stuck with Hasbro.

Wonderfect can't get here soon enough. We need some real TF news and not constant advertising on the front page.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Well, it looks way more like the Megatron I remember than Despotron and I don't like most the asthetic design of Despotron so to me, MP36 is way better. If you like the looks of Despotron, then it's available for you to get it and that's a good thing.

As for Apollyon, I don't think this will be better for my collection because Apollyon looks better than I ever imagined a transforming toy Megatron could look. The areas where MP36 could be considered better is again, cartoon accuracy and possibly transformation engineering and qc. I'm getting MP36 just because it's Megatron, one of my favorite charaters and it seems to do enough good and different from Apollyon to warrant the purchase, where MT and DX9 versions did not. I like that it is super cartoon accurate and grey instead of silver because I already have Appolyon for a more ideal look. I think it will be worth the buy just to experience the transformation sequence too.

• Like Like x 3
  4. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "I changed my personal aesthetic preferences based on a really convincing forum post."

~No one, ever

• Like Like x 12
  5. DestronDestroyer

DestronDestroyer New Member

Haha thank you all.

My post was just based on the Train of the hate that i see constantly have this figure.

I'm actually in love with this figure.

It'll be MY megatron of my collection, i just wanted to know how many of you can guve me good or valid reasons.

6. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Apollyons crotch only separates when it's not tabbed correctly. There are two extra tabs which need pulling out totaling 4 connection tabs. After all 4 are in place it's very very solid

7. SeiberBirdR

SeiberBirdR Sapienbot

News Credits:
    For me the crotch and ab proportions of MP36 seem a bit off, and the detailing not perfect on the crotch. Still, overall I find MP36 to have the best overall look and the containing the most soul based on pictures. This will be the first masterpiece style Megatron I will own, and currently I only own official figures for the generations style. I cannot wait to see it in hand. My only regret is placing my preorder with Nippon-Yasan before the Amazon.jp orders went live. That would have saved me about $20 I think.

• Like Like x 2
  8. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    love the head and facesculpt on megs v2 but they are not spot on everytime the ironhide and ratchet facesculpts are terrible

9. Acid Storm

Acid Storm I'm Keith

Yeah they're on a different level really. I was looking through the 1985 G1 catalogue earlier and there's a lot to be said about waiting for an official figure no matter how far out it may be.

The first official combiner is going to be very special I reckon.

10. Metal Sonic

Metal Sonic Dangerous Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

"IT'S YOUR FACE'LL BE LOOKIN' TERRIBLE IF YA KEEP MAKIN' THAT TALK, PUNK!"

• Like Like x 5
  11. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh boy, one 3rd party comparison post and everyone comes out.....

I bought Despotron after I saw the colored pics of MP Megs 2.0.....and then preordered 2x of MP Megs 2.0. I love the bulky design of Despotron and while fanboys are quick to shit all over it, I can always use a different non-cartoon take. However MP-36 will sit on my MP shelf.

Is there any proof that's why 3rd party designer make their toys different? I'm pretty sure it's just to add their own flair. They can make it cartoon accurate if they want (looking at MT not-Headmasters, Targetmaster and Downbeat Jazz)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Then why don't the companies just call their figures 'Megatron' as well?

I don't know if there's substantiated proof, but don't almost all companys making unlicensed toys of other's properties tweak the designs a bit to keep themselves out of trouble?
    Before that's latched onto, yes, Hasbro does it as well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SeiberBirdR

SeiberBirdR Sapienbot

News Credits:
    I think there is a measure of calculated risk. The closer the adherence to the Transformers source the shakier the ground a company finds themselves in. The further away the easier it becomes to defend their own unique IP. The actual names are probably the strongest part of the IP, but appearances and methods are still important. Also look at modern designs for HasTak figures. These days HasTak for strength of defense and to avoid suit will license when doing car modes nearly indistinguishable from a real vehicle, such as masterpiece and movie lines. However no licensing is done with the generations style lines, even when a vehicle is really damn close to the original material there are usually enough changes to justify the uniqueness. Just as HasTak was able to get away with clear infringement in the 80s by not being a big hit to the car companies and often avoided the strongest parts of the IP such as names and symbols, 3rd party companies are running the same play book. Don't draw attention and be too small to bother with when making the worse infringements.

14. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not sure, but I always found the design changes, if any besides lack of Autobot/Decepticon symbol, intentional since we're only comparing cartoon looking MPs.

CHUG-scale is sorta based on updated molds so can't really compare those right?

Fanstoys MP scale not-Dinobots, not-Perceptor are pretty cartoon accurate. I can't get over the faces, but no major revisions. Even MMC's and Badcube's seem close as their "engineeringly" possible to the cartoon.

Not a Hasbro/TT hater by any means so not looking to heavily argue, but that was just the way I looked at it.

15. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

I think you're putting it lightly, Crapollyon is an abomination, a figure which was only popular because it filled a very big void in people's collection, I have a feeling it was released today, it won't even sell a single copy. It's so bad it should killed with fire, where do I start, that terrible face sculpt with his eyes which look like he's wearing man-liner, he looks like a fucking raccoon!?

And then there's all that hideous and laughable kibble on the feet and his crotch which looks like he's stuffed a couple of socks into it. And that transformation, OMFG, I'd rather be stabbed in the balls with an ice pick!? Don't even get me started on the quality, believe me, it would make the less than flattering assessment I've given him look some what stellar. The figure has no place in a conversation when talking about masterpiece Megatron!?

MP-36 is so beautiful, I'm so glad in just over a month we'll have a real Megatron, not Chugstertron(Despotron), not Backkibbletron(Mightron) or Crapollyon but Megatron...can't wait!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Leaving all the hate on your post, crapollyon it's actually a good name lol

17. Prowl 76

Prowl 76 Well-Known Member

I can totally get why some people feel Ratchet's face is kinda off—it's not as squarish as his 'toon representation. It's a little disappointing. But Ironhide's, on the other hand, just oozes character. I actually marvel at how well they captured his personality in that sculpt, even if it wasn't line-for-line how he was drawn in the show.

All a matter of opinion though. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. TylerB

TylerB Slag!

You know damn well it'd sell at least one to a certain XTB fan

• Like Like x 2
  19. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How? There must tons of offers to sell Apollyon at this point.

20. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That the 3Ps are using HasTak's character likenesses is already blatant enough. Little off-model 'tweaks' that you might see on 3P MPs would not make any difference to the outcome of any case if HasTak ever took any action. It is just the designer's aesthetic choices. Names and symbols are trademarked which is a completely different ballgame than character likeness IP - HasTak would be much more likely to take action to defend their trademarks if 3Ps used them, and that's why they dont.

• Like Like x 2