Masterpiece Megatron V2.0 has arrived... and he is GLORIOUS

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Sam

Sam It's over Prime

News Credits:
    Just looked it up, apparently Hot Rod's vehicle mode was designed by Yuya Onishi.

Interesting that they have artists working on the line like that. Very cool collaborative work.

2. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Widespread issues with silver paint are news to me. It depends where it is, I suppose. I have some "battle damage" on Prowl's thighs, for instance, but they fold away quite tightly, and I've never found it unique to silver paint. I have more missing paint on Ratchet's thighs and arms than on Ironhide's thighs or pelvis (so far I have no chips on Ironhide, fortunately). And my G1 Megatron still seems to be holding up fine, despite being over 30 years old. :)  Not to mention the three third party Megatrons, none of which seem to have any major issues with silver paint (I own one of them). I'm sure the colour of MP-36 has nothing to do with Takara's fear of paint chipping and is entirely down to their new, "if a detail or colour wasn't in the cartoon, it ain't going on the toy" approach.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

This! However I don't mind grey either since I have a Silver Megatron from XTB already. By the way, no paint chips on my XTB Megatron so it's not really a concern of mine either way.

4. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

My Ironhide had zero paint chips anywhere on any color.

• Like Like x 1
  5. B13

B13 Well-Known Member

I like the silver paint we have on MP-5. I never heard of it chipping and it just looks great!
    Only my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:

I only heard about that it had problems of rust in the feets.

7. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I agree, it's gotta be Jazz or Galvatron. Many of us have been calling for Galvatron since the very first masterpiece of MP-01. Heck on these very message boards we once had group of members who liked to say they were a member of the "Give me a show accurate toy Galvatron or give me death!" club. That was around the time just before Alternators was announced. A Masterpiece Galvatron has been a huge want and need among us fans for a LONG long time. And recently Jazz has picked up steam and many have been expressing desire for him as their most wanted Autobot.

I agree that the silver metallic paint makes the masterpieces look so much better. Something about the white curvy faces just makes them look too cartoony. I like the way the Masterpiece line tries to pay tribute to the original show but sometimes they over do it and they start to look less respectable than the actual cartoon models themselves. I like the level of sculpting detail Titan Wars has brought to the toys so if the Masterpiece line was able to merge the 2 concepts together, I think we would have a real masterpiece. In the animation they imply certain details about the robot's design but didn't always have the technology or budget to draw every detail in a smooth animation. Seeing the toy in a real life environment should allow the details of those characters to come to life. I think when they make the faces too curvy and white, it takes away from the character instead of adding anything positive. If they want curvy and overly cartoony, they have new RiD, TF: Animated, and Rescue Bots series's for that. Even TF: Prime has some of that aesthetic to it. And we're not trying for that with Masterpiece, we're trying to make the original TV Show come to life in toy form.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll admit I felt a little unsure about the colour scheme on MP-36. I'm so used to a silver Megatron.
    But it actually kind of works.
    This was further highlighted when I saw someone had custom painted MakeToys Despotron in a similar, toon influenced grey colour. Looks amazing.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

I think the MP + numbering from Red Alert is such a misnomer. I mean there are less painted details on Anime Alert (perhaps even less paint in total) and they call it a Masterpiece Plus ????

"Never be afraid to mislabel a product", I guess.

These customs are what I would call a MP + version

I have no paint chipping whatsoever on MP Ironhide. (Which is kind of weird since many complain about white paint chips on Ratchet who transforms exactly the same, but the red on Ironhide sticks.)

But although every one complains about MP-5 having 'rust' on his metallic parts, I've never heard anyone complain about the silver paint scratching. Granted, it's not a figure most owners pick up a lot or transform many times, but still. MP-5 his silver finish seems to be very sturdy.

I also remember reading once that they could use the same very hard metallic silver paint used on phones and the like, on Transformers now. So a silver painted Megatron should be durable.

(But I just want a comic version and they can leave the stock/silencer out of it since Marvel Megatron didn't use that so much and definitely not in the story/issue in which altmode was important and actually used, in Shooting Star .)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    The plus is seemingly used to have a consistent point of reference for any future "Anime" Masterpiece figures they do in the future. Since they've used "A" for other releases in the past (BAPE Convoy, Acidstorm). "A" wouldn't be available, and therefore if they want they can release things like MP-10+ without having already used the most obvious designation for said release. So whenever see something like MP-10+, MP-21+, MP-11+, etc. We know what it is.

Randy

11. Sam

Sam It's over Prime

News Credits:
    Shoulda put that post in a lighter blue :rolleyes: 

12. BidoofdudeofOz

BidoofdudeofOz The Stench of Discovery

Doesn't look very silver to me.

[​IMG]

13. ambitron

News Credits:
    That's my whole point. The cartoonists couldn't use silver paint in a cartoon, but we all knew that the greys in the cartoon were meant to represent silver. Over the past few MPs, Takara has suddenly taken a new interpretation on this, and decided that if the cartoonists couldn't use a colour (or if they simplified details), then the MP cannot use that colour (or add back in any details).

Seriously, did anyone watching the cartoon in the 80s imagine Megatron was ceramic grey? Or did we see him as silver just as we saw the yellow C-3P0 in Droids as gold? If MP Megatron is grey, then MP Goldbug has to be brown-yellow, because the cartoonists couldn't use gold in the cartoon. In fact, if everything has to be so literal, why not go the whole hog and have cardboard, 2D MPs? :D 

• Like Like x 6
  14. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:

You know that cartoons aren't real, yeah? Guns are. Very real. Too real. They're also usually silver. :p 

15. Sam

Sam It's over Prime

News Credits:
    MP-27 Ironhide has silver thighs, and he's part of the more cartoon-accurate trend. I think it's on a case-by-case basis. Inferno has flat grey because those parts can be swapped out for shiny chrome. I wouldn't be surprised if in the prototype stages they 3D printed a Megatron and painted him up in silver and then said 'nah'.

Also remember, the Legends line is now ticking a lot of G1 boxes. More modern detailing, toy-accurate colours etc are now a signature of the Legends line, while the MP series is aiming for true cartoon accuracy.

It is what it is. We may get a special exclusive version of Megatron in silver. He doesn't have that many repaints, after all.

16. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aaaaahhh but was it - who's to say? :) 

It's a bit simplistic to say they 'couldn't use silver' - gold/silver, or rather shininess in general, can be represented with shading. Just look at the Golden Lagoon episode.

Goldenlagoonautobotline.jpg vlcsnap-2016-02-28-02h26m39s972.png

That's gold!

Megatron was occasionally shaded to indicate silvery shininess, albeit subtly, but more often than not shaded flat grey. So I say you could equally argue he's 'supposed to be' grey.

• Like Like x 3
  17. ambitron

News Credits:
    If they did, their taste is poor. :)  I really don't think that's the case, though - I think they have just decided to use flat colours for most things from now on.

Well, that depends on what you mean by "cartoon accuracy". I don't think a flat grey Megatron is "cartoon accurate". That's not what was *intended* by the grey the cartoonists used. To say that using grey is "cartoon accurate" is just a retcon. Silver is every bit as cartoon accurate (and I would argue more so). But I suppose it's just a different style. For whatever reason, Takara has decided to make its MP line look more like PVC statues these days than high-end, realistic robots. You guys like that new style; I don't. I loved this vision of the MP line, from Hasui:

That was the vision all designers brought to the MP line until last year. Ah, well, as you say:

It is indeed, and it is why my enthusiasm for the MP line has waned. I love MP-10 and Sideswipe, even Ultra Magnus; I want to stamp on Inferno. :D 

That's a bit of an extreme example, and something that only had to be coloured in a single episode.

Hmm, which is more likely: someone among the cartoonists or at Hasbro back in the '80s saying, "Right, although the toy is silver, we're going to have Megatron grey - yep, that's his official media colour: grey," or Megatron being coloured grey simply because they couldn't use silver or be bothered to add the reflective effect in every frame (although the reflective effect is used plenty for Megatron, especially in the movie)? :D 

What I wonder, though, is this: plenty of people here seem to want a silver repaint. But if Megatron had been silver to begin with, how many people would want a flat grey repaint? How many people would have wished for a flat grey bumper on Inferno if Takara had made it silver? My feeling is that the answer to these questions is between "zero" and "very few", although I'm sure I shall now be told otherwise. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  18. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Er... Tigerblade. And... er...

:) 

• Like Like x 2
  19. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Takara Tomy has been anything but predictable, and so I'm not saying this is any kind of guarantee of anything. Based on the MP-38 version of Beast Convoy, it seems likely that a Megatron repaint will be a silver and more toy-based version. Possibly even with yellow eyes.

Again, no guarantee.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    If Megatron repaints are more agreeable to me than the first version, I can always sell the first one and buy the redeco. But I'll be picking this one up immediately, as I love the look of it as is!