Masterpiece Megatron Sucks

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Necare, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why do people like this figure. He costs a good chunk of change and in every review he is flimsy, impossible to transform, and unplayable.

His legs look spindly and people have broken him the first time they transform him. He is a mix of metal and plastic, which I also think serves to make the toy less durable.

I just don't see anything good about this other than someone saying they got an MP version of Megatron. I just don't understand... Anyone else think he's not worth the money AT ALL!!!

I might pay $30 or $20 for that figure.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Then you won't ever have one, will you.
    Clumsy and inept people have broken him the first time they've transformed him. I, on the other hand, have had him since he was released, have transformed him God knows how many times, and have yet to break anything on him whatsoever. I have never had a single problem with him. Maybe I'm just smart enough to be careful with an expensive figure. Who knows.

3. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

MP-05 as I see it.

Pros:
    • Loaded with accessories including Prime Cappin' Pistol and the Chain Of Command.
    • Astonishingly complex transformation: Jaw dropping feat of engineering.
    • Fusion Cannon Scope makes a BFG look like a popgun.
    • FRICKIN' HUGE G1 MEGATRON!

Cons:
    • Astonishingly complex transformation: One man's joy is another's nightmare.
    • Fusion Cannon Scope makes a BFG look like a popgun: See above.
    • Scope is just a bit too heavy for the arm, resulting in figure droop.
    • Legs...are not as bad in person, I found, but arguably could have done with a bit more mass.
    • Articulation is not everything it could be.
    • Certainly fragile, but then again, so is a Ming Vase.

Conclusion: Certainly not a toy. If you want something to "play" with, best to skip him. Best viewed as a display piece. Worth the cash? For me, yes, he dominates his display area with his huge, evil vibe, but then I do blow stupid amounts of money on silly things just because I love them.

4. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i agree that he's kinda flimsy and definitely unplayable...i dont really consider him a toy, more of a 'figure'...but he's not impossible to transform...and if ur careful when doing so, u wont break it...thats why i think the recommended age for this figure is higher than that of ordinary transformers figures...its more of a collectors item than a toy, definitely..but there's no way in hell MP megs sucks, imo

5. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:

So..is he not wirth any money at all, or worth $20 - $30?

IMO he's a great figure, that I've transformed many times with no problems.

6. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My only real complaint on MG Megs is the headsculpt (and how far the arm cannon sits off the arm)... otherwise I think he's pretty rad.

7. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    he is tricky to transform but far from impossible, i see him as a rare example of a TF that is aimed at adults and is more of a 'exhibition piece' for the owner and takara rather than an honest to goodness toy. I only managed to break a tiny tab so far which is didnt even tkow was there, (maybe it was already gone when i got it?) . IMportantly he can be made to look less spindly, if you bring the thighs down a bit and lift up the top of the feet you get a much chunkier looking leg that seems better proportioned to the rest of the body, the improved look of the foot (now it doesnt look like a flipper) improves the look of teh toy immensly ....pic:

[​IMG]

8. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nice pose. I think it is worth the money but I have never attempted to transform mine. The thing I would change is make a smaller scope, it doesn't need to be that big.

9. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not even the size of the scope that's really the issue... the most annoying thing is how tall the mount is, so it's sticking way off his arm in bot mode.

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally I don't like him, but I wouldn't say that he "sucks". Only way I would get him is if someone got him for me as a gift, or if I were to win him in some kind of contest, but I wouldn't buy one myself, and as both of those situations are extremely unlikely, I'll more than likely never own one. Even if I did, I would probably either sell it on the boards or give it to my cousin.

11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Honestly don't think he sucks. True he's not much of a 'play' figure, but IMPO none of the MPs really are. They're all a bit more complex and more of display figures than toys to be played with. I don't own one as I've never really wanted one (I would like to get him just to give those kick butt weapons to my Henkei Megatron, but than what would I do with MP Megs?), but he hardly sucks.

12. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

In person all those issues go away. Once you hold him and pose him and see just how awesome he is you would love him. he is an amazing feat of engineering for Takara.

I do agree that he is more of a show piece rather then a "toy". It may be just a toy in some people's eyes, however I fell that he is more then that. I mean it's pretty close to as perfect a G1 Megatron we will EVER get. On top of that, remember, he was the toy that would NEVER happen. I'm glad that I own one and that Takara proved all those people wrong who said they would never make one.

13. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't own own one but I would like to in the future. And the reason is that he just doesn't catch me enough to be a figure I have to have right away. He does look a little thin and wonky but you have to remember unlike Prime he is based of his G1 smaller counter-part. Where as Optimus was the ultimate end all be all Prime ever released.

If I ever do buy one it will stay in gun mode with the accessories attached.

14. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I wouldn't say he sucks at all. Maybe as a toy he does, but the MP line is absolutely not a "toy" line. As a collector's display piece he rocks! I've never once transformed mine, mainly out of fear from the pressure I was placing on it to move some of the pieces. I wasn't about to break a $100 toy, so he is now proudly displayed on the shelf... and looks wicked awesome there.

15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

He's actually one of the more reasonably priced MPs out there now. Even cheaper than Skywarp. My only issue is the "rust" residue that appears on his metal parts. This is why I've been apprehensive about displaying him out of box.

16. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I'm going to tack on a highly appropriate "Fo' shizzle' on this.

I don't have any idea how or why people seem to just shatter this toy at a touch. It needs a certain amount of care, but this really isn't like certain Macross figures just breaking apart from human contact.

17. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    I've transformed him two times, and all joints are still on perfect condition, I wonder why. Maybe I'm NOT clumsy? LOL..

18. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Ya I have to say I'm also in the MP Megatron is awful camp. Aside from being G1 Megatron I really couldn't name one positive thing about him and mine didn't even have any breakage or QC issues. The only good thing about my experience with the toy is I sold him opened for more then I bought it for as it was during the intrum of were he hadint been reissued yet but the supply had dried up to the point were he was going for some crazy prices.

Glad he was made though and that others do get enjoyment from him but personally he just didnt do it for me.

19. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    If he could angle his head upward and his arms out to the side, I'd love him. As he is, he looks cool and can do 5 or 6 really good poses, but better head and shoulder articulation would make him a really great toy.

I've transformed mine maybe 20 times. No catastrophic failure yet.

20. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    goooooooo D well said, well said! :thumbs2: