Masterpiece Megatron MP-36

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by chuckcjc, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lol, I think Mightron's clean lines muddied the debate a bit. I agree with you that this is the best one, but I can see their point. Apollyon's cannon gimmick, where you can move the cannon to the forearm, is also quite nice.

For me, it's the fact that Takara's legs are literally animation perfect that clinches it - the slight flare in the legs to give it that animation silhouette is almost magic.

Anyway, whatever your poison, what a time to be a Megatron fan eh?

• Like Like x 1
  2. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Amen! Look I really like this conversation amongst fans because its quite an interaction. Yeah Now then have to redo MP-10 because he is dated. I mean I keep on looking at my MP-36 and honestly it looked like Sadako you know it like Megatron walked right out of my TV! This is really quite a feat. We all know Hasbro and Takara will milk this so prepare for a silver painted megatron from Hasbro with red inner legs and a Frank Welker voice ... I hope they put. Starscream you fool! Such Heroic Non-sense Kaboom! Its over prime. I rip off your optics!

3. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agree but h
    Agree but I don't know because it may vary from figure to figure. This figure is really articulated. I hope they redo MP-10.

4. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  5. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    "DO AS I COMMAND!!"
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You will never see this figure released domestically by Hasbro. They barely use the classics mold, which isn't even a realistic gun, because it's a gun. I'll be floored of they even glance at this design for release.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Best MP to date!

IMG_2140.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  8. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  10. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Browsing/Not Buying

Absolutely stunning pictures.

I wish I could go back in time and show this figure to my younger self (and blow my own mind):

1984 me: "...and what's that key?"

2017 me: "Oh that's right, season 2 hasn't aired yet."

• Like Like x 3
  11. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Wonderful lighting. Great pics !!

12. Megadeus

Megadeus Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that Takara will revisit Opti...Convoy again but, with two Masterpiece figures already, who knows when. I'm also not entirely convinced we'll see a completely new take on the character either. I half expect a somewhat retooled MP-10, similar to MP-11, done up in colors more accurate to the animation in order to bring the MP-10 mold more in line with the current Masterpiece style. It is interesting, though, that MP-10, once the pinnacle of the Masterpiece line, looks rather basic and off-model compared with MP-36.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Broken Forge

Broken Forge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Who more fitting though to dethrone an Optimus than a Megatron?

• Like Like x 2
  14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sweet monkey Jesus, what demigod of engineering sold his soul to the higher powers to have the skill to realize this frightening masterpiece of plastic origami? The way everything jigsaws together so perfectly in either mode (with the minor exception of his rather rough-looking back plate) is mind-blowing spectacle.

Also more than a little frightening, at least the first time around, trying to gingerly force small parts into place and judge how much stress they can take. My crazy ass decided to tackle him without instructions, as I always do (although I had a bit of forewarning about loosening the screw in his pelvis, and sanding down the suppressor innards a bit), and that first go-around took me about an hour (albeit with some distraction as I was also watching TV simultaneously). The most time consuming aspect of it was just the order of operations of it all. I didn't have much trouble figuring out what went where, but there are lots of places where you have to do things in a specific order to create the proper clearances for other parts. I kept having to reposition the skirt armour and legs trying to get the arms up together, because things were always in the way of each other. Now that I know what I'm doing, though, the process is far cleaner. This toy's certainly got a learning curve. If you're concerned about preserving this toy's paint job, you've certainly got your work cut out for you. If done right, there should be enough clearances everywhere for nothing to scrape against each other, but sometimes, due to the aforementioned order of operations, you really have to work to find that sweet spot.

This toy's "Masterpiece moment" is definitely in how the lower legs collapse to create the gun handle. It's pretty ingenious. Although, the way his chest and abdomen sort of "builds itself up" bit-by-bit makes for a really cool visual. Really, there's all sorts of little things littered all over the figure that come together in a really satisfying way.

Reiterating, this toy is pure brilliant madness, a clear product of engineering hubris more than anything else. For those of you who prefer a more straightforward transformation and need a Megatron in their collection, I'd probably point elsewhere (MakeToys' 3P "Despotron" is what I'd suggest, as long as you don't have particular need for the full gun kit). For those of you who relish a challenge with satisfying payoffs, this guy's probably going to be the crown jewel for a long time coming. Forever more into the future, when somebody online questions TakaraTomy's engineering prowess and offers up a challenger (usually Bandai in these situations), you're going to be able to point to this guy and say "yeah...no".

• Like Like x 7
  15. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

1. Love this guy. He is everything I wanted an MP Megatron to be. Sturdy and fantastic design. Now just tell me how to get that ugly orange plug out of the barrel extension. I got it out of the actual gun barrel.

16. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Alright transformed mine to gun mode last night. It's not difficult to transform, go by the manual, watch Wotafa's video review if it'll make you more comfortable and take your time. This isn't a figure you should expect to transform quickly in under 5 minutes. This figure really shows the difference between a mainline transformer at a department store and a collectible transformer aimed at the kids who grew up wanting a transformable weapon of decimation whose dream finally came true 30+ years later. This is not for today's kids, no no, this is for US.

MAN KIDS.

To me, it's like a 3 dimensional puzzle only way better. Transformation is divided into logical steps. The only parts that slowed me down were folding the upper arm panels(going from robot to gun) and the last steps of swiveling the upper arms to form the back of the gun.

Have there been any breakages with the upper arm panels in question? Mine did not break but there is barely any clearance and tension is high once the joint is halfway from folding all the way. I can see how it was designed to swivel/fold but it was still a step that made me pause nonetheless. I really hope I didn't do it wrong, I don't think I did since it is in gun mode currently. The upper arm panels in question only fold 1 way. There is a other part that folds inwards that is attached to each panel. It's like a triangular block that swivels on top of said panels.

It's a glorious figure, the color is very misleading in online photos. The photos led me to believe it was a glossy grey paint, like thick, glossy enamel. In person it's actually a metallic grey, not quite gunmetal but very appealing to the eye in natural lighting. This is a very photogenic figure but its true colors are very hard to see in photos. For example I thought it looked a bit "plasticky" in pictures but was pleasantly surprised to find that this wasn't the case in person.

Also be careful swapping the chest plate, just know that it pulls up. I was trying to pull it forward, luckily I caught my mistake quickly.

I will transform mine again later, trying to figure out how to remove the silencer plug. The plug in my barrel fell right out luckily. Again, take your time transforming this and don't let the breakages posted on Facebook or here deter you. I had to loosen the swiveling hinges at the butt, I think a good number of us had to. Fortunately those hinges can be loosened just by 1 screw. If those hinges are tight, loosen them up. I think the breakages reported with regards to the legs breaking off are due to overly tight butt hinges. Those hinges would barely budge until I unscrewed them and I cs see how excessive force would sheer the legs off.

• Like Like x 2
  17. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    Painted the crotch area on mine. It had some paint chipping out of the box which caused me to lose sleep.

20170413_112509.jpg 20170413_112620.jpg 20170413_112652.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Enjoy your date with Megatron!

I really love MP 10, but I think Apollyon fits in better with him. A slightly lankier and more articulated prime is needed to really match MP 36. It will happen but probably a couple years from now. With a trailer, I'd be afraid of the price though.

Great pics everyone!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    someone made a good point about him not coming with a trailer since we already get one with mp-10

• Like Like x 1
  20. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That would at least be a nice option, but Takara might not see it that way.

• Like Like x 2