Minor/Repaint: Masterpiece Marvel Comics Megatron

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Booster Gold, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    As promised in this thread Minor/Repaint: - Marvel Comics Masterpiece Megatron

Here is my attempt at at a Marvel Comics Deco on MP-36 Masterpiece Megatron. I've actually used the KO IT-01 Emperor of Destruction but the differences are minimal. Thanks must go to @IgTerminals and this post Shortpacked! - Blog - As God intended for showing me it could be done. Plus @Sam for suggesting I give it a go and @chchchch for creating a few Digibashes as inspiration.

So without further a do this is what I did...

The easy part is the head is on a ball joint and easily removed. After reading around on the subject a bit I discovered the eyes were on a separate part inserted into the back of each face plate. I tried prying these out with a small flathead screwdriver but found in it was actually easier to remove them once you'd broken the glue that held the face to the forehead/helmet front. The face then slips out and the eye plate is easy to pry away from the top with minimal damage.

IMG_6157.jpg

IMG_6154.jpg

2. I then set about painting the eyes using a white undercoat followed by a mixture of mostly yellow and a little gold.

IMG_6171.jpg

And painting the foreheads (even easier to paint now separated from the faces) and helmet/head to match the metallic grey/black found on MP-36's cannon, hands, crotch etc.. I started with a lighter mixture of a gun metal and black and then slowly darkened it using black washes until it was as close as I felt I'd get. I then gloss varnished the the lot.

IMG_6161.jpg

IMG_6167.jpg

IMG_6175.jpg

IMG_6205.jpg
    In between coats of paint on the head I took out the trusty Tamiya colour red I'd used for my Ratchet repaint and filled in the grey 'vent' areas on Megatron's flanks.

IMG_6248.JPG

And that was it really...I reattached the head to the ball joint and start shooting photos!

IMG_6177.jpg (don't worry I noticed the red paint on his hand and removed it) IMG_6183.jpg IMG_6195.jpg IMG_6211.jpg IMG_6215.jpg IMG_6222.jpg IMG_6230.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 27
  2. chchchch

chchchch Floptimus Prime

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    It's beautiful! I love it, especially the specific shade of yellow you chose for the eyes, and the helmet matches perfectly. Great job, and since I don't think I've commented on it before your Ratchet is of course stunning as well. Future plans for any other characters?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    Thanks! I'm really please with him. I'm not sure I'll even bother with getting an additional toon head. I did Ratchet a while back after the hipskirts on Ironhide drove me crazy and sold him on, then the Shadow Fisher kit came out and I started thinking..yeah, that looks better plus I always preferred Ratchet as a character, so maybe I'll get him and the kit but urrrggghhh stupid toon deco! I know it was only a matter if time before I convinced myself to 'fix' it. I don't have any future plans, I'll just have to wait until the madness rises up in me ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sam

Sam 229 days

News Credits:
    Excellent work! Proud to be be part of what pushed you over the edge :lol 

Maybe you'll be doing the same with a KO of MP-44 in a couple of years :thumb 

• Like Like x 5
  5. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    Thanks! I think it was only a matter of time, the toon aesthetic of MP-36 has been grating on me for some time now. The irritating thing about MP-36 is that overall he is the best MP-style Megatron out there and NEEDs to be in my collection, but he also needs to look less Sunbow...I think I just sorted that out, I'm quite pleased with myself. Which leads me to your second point I'm not sure I'll need repaint MP-44 (KO or not). MS-01 will arrive later this month and provided he's as good as he looks all I'll possibly need to do is repaint the eyes yellow and bingo! I've got what i want and saved £150 on something I feel is bit of a compromise!

6. Sam

Sam 229 days

News Credits:
    Yeah, painting the eyes yellow (and the area around them black?) is all that needs to be done to make a comics Prime, right? And technically paint the forearm yellows red on MS-01. I suppose you could add some touches of silver to the legs as well.

[​IMG]

I don't know how often he was actually drawn that way though?

• Like Like x 2
  7. chchchch

chchchch Floptimus Prime

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Also, paint the silver ribcage stripes red?

8. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    Heh, you know I'm not a fan of slavishly literal decos, provided they capture the character I'm ok with a few differences or a different interpretation of the source material. I repainted Megatron because I thought it would look better, more interesting, break up the one colour nature of the cartoon version. I didn't do it to exactly match the comics, it doesn't....it can't. Almost by definition comics are more inconstant than cartoons. Artists switch around so often and each time we see a new interpretation with different demotions, proportions, detailing etc... That's part of the beauty of them and maybe goes some way to explaining my stance on this sort of stuff. I want the toy to look awesome and recognisable as the thing it's based on but it needn't be a carbon copy...in fact I'd rather it wasn't. John Romita's Spider-man didn't exactly match that of Steve Ditko, neither did his Romita Jr's take on Spidey much resemble that of Todd McFarlane, right now I'm really enjoying Ryan Ottey's art on Spidey BECAUSE it doesn't look like that of Humberto Ramos.. all interpretations are clearly Spider-man and all all look awesome but none of them are the same or overly reverent to what came before.

As for MS-01 I may feel like I have to repaint the eyes, I'll see how I feel once he is in hand. I certainly don't think id want to paint over detailing like the arm arrows, or chest stripe. I'm into him because he looks more detailed and less single minded in inspiration than MP-44! Simplifying him would sort of defeat the object. If TT were doing a comic book decos I'm sure they'd do exactly what you suggest, I'm sure there would be a lot of blue where the artist intended black, white/grey where they intended silver, black where the artist was indicating shade or shadow etc etc..and I would find it too plain, uninspired and literal in interpretation lol.

...and there i go again over explaining myself.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  9. IgTerminals

IgTerminals Force Chip - Ignition!

Fantastic job, dude. Looks amazing!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Digger

Digger ごはん は おかず

Twitter:
    Epic stuff. Very simple but effective work.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Looks great!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Mod

News Credits:
    Excellent work!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    Yeah OK I did it, it was so easy to do I couldn't stop myself. I'm not doing the area around the eyes in black though, I think that might look a bit weird.

IMG_6427.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  14. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

I stripped the paint off the face and then painted the mask to be more toyish. That way the blue was exactly the same.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  15. IgTerminals

IgTerminals Force Chip - Ignition!

Looks good, dude.
    I used dark blue for the face and spray varnish to smooth it out.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sam

Sam 229 days

News Credits:
    Cool! I think it’d look good with the black (it’s the only thing I like about YOTH Optimus), but it’s your call of course.
    That’s not a bad face sculpt on that Prime, actually.
    You still keeping MP-10?

17. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    Probably not MS-01 is such a huge improvement there seems little point, plus I have a loose rule that I don't keep more than one version of the same character/design. It ticks all the boxes. Improved proportions a bit, Improved articulation, leg wheels better hidden, larger windows and a generally cleaner sculpt (less but not zero greebles and detailing) plus he has a nicer looking gun (Shame it doesn't store in his back though) and pretty much just the essentials as far as accessories go. This will be my MP Prime for the foreseeable future I reckon.

Nice, I don't I'm going go that far, It is tempting but I don't feel like I need to.

18. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Excellent work!

• Like Like x 1