Heavy/Scratch: Masterpiece Fortress Maximus

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by payton34, Aug 20, 2009.

1. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    EDIT: City, Battle Station, Robot Mode AND "Full Assault Mode" are all complete!! :D 

There's good news and bad news about this project. The good news? I've never seen one before (and if anybody else has, please point it out to me), so I will be the first to attempt an articulated original G1 Fortress Maximus!!

The bad news? I will be the first to attempt an articulated original G1 Fortress Maximus. :lol 

The plan is to have the following:

- The main head (Cerebros) on a ball joint (although it'll have more movement, it won't be "full" movement because of the two towers on each side of his head). I'm also going to "bulk" up the neck area a bit so it looks more like a natural flowing neck instead of a skinny ball joint.

- Articulated knee joints for better posability, should be able to rotate and bend backwards to simulate a "battle stance".

- Articulated elbow joints, to allow more movement in the upper arms.

- New, articulated hands.

The good news? If everything goes according to plan, there will be only one extra "parts form" piece to it (the removable neck, to allow transformation into city/battle station mode). As it is, it's dirty and a bit yellowed in spots but since I'm ripping it up anyway I'll give it a fresh paint job once the major "remodeling" is over.

My plan is to try and get one item done (or close to done) each week, but with my heavy work schedule (and my current progress on ROTF Devastator) that's probably not a very realistic deadline. But, I'll give it a shot.

So, whatcha think? Am I crazy, lol? :crazy: 

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

How much did you pay for that Fort Max? I guess that'll determine how criminally insane you really are. Yes, criminally.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Yes. Criminally. Only thing worse is if you attempt an articulated Grand Maximus.

I've only just added my first joint ever to any custom for my Scourge, so it will be interesting to see if i can learn anything from this.

4. payton34

News Credits:
    I got the main body (well, my wife did) at an antique shop for $70 and it had absolutely nothing in terms of parts, just the body.

I've gotten parts here and there with paypal credit (I'm strange that way, if it actually comes out of my checking account or credit card, then I actually "paid" for it. If I had a credit in my paypal balance and I used that, then "I didn't really 'pay' for it, I had a paypal balance", lol). I don't really remember each individual price for the parts, but I'd guess close to $300 maybe? I got really good deals on certain items.

I actually have two Fort Max figures, one I'm keeping complete as-is (only missing Spike), and the other is the one I'm slicing up.

5. Satomiblood

That's not so bad then.

6. payton34

News Credits:
    The only thing that makes me uneasy is that, even though I have a pretty good idea of what I want to happen, and how I'm going to do it, I've never actually done ball joints/ratcheting joints before so I need to make doubly sure I don't screw anything up, lol.

I guess this will be a learning thread for me as well.

7. Satomiblood

I would contact Anemis. He has experience with creating joints and attachments for larger scale toys (i.e. Metroplex, Animated Omega Supreme).

8. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Oh man. I'll be following this one with interest, just to see what you come up with as far as jointing - he's a big, heavy, SOB and I'll be intrigued to see how you keep him from becoming a flopstravaganza. Good luck. :D 

9. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ooooooooooooh bbboooyyyyyy.... Idk if I could do it, even if I did have an extra. So, crazy? Yes. Inovative, deffinately. Worth watching, in so many ways yes. I acctually had an idea as to how this could be done too, but I wasn't about to try and hack my maximus up, so to see someone attempt it is incredible, and deserves instant respect. Good luck to ya man. You're gonna need it.

10. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
  11. payton34

News Credits:

Attached Files:

12. Satomiblood

That is crazy.

13. payton34

News Credits:
    :D 

What's crazy?

14. ZEGR

ZEGR Well-Known Member

i always wanted to see someone attempting a project like this but never expected that since fort max is a very expensive figure,im glad u will do it!Have u thought about articulating cerebros or he'll stay as is?

15. Satomiblood

Those Gundam hands.

16. 1-10

1-10 Well-Known Member

this is awesome,fort max is one of my favorite transformers.also why dont you make 1 SWORD for Cerebros/Fortress(the head)and 1 SWORD for Fortress Maximus him self.

17. altezen

altezen Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wow, hope to see it soon. It is my childhood dream to own a fortress maximus.

18. cefuroxx

cefuroxx Well-Known Member

if you need any fm pieces let me know, i have molds of almost all of them, though they are far from perfect.

19. payton34

News Credits:
    If you are faint of heart, or have a weak stomach, then turn away right now.

...last chance.

Disassembly has begun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    dang man. I wanna do something like this one day. I sorta got a little teary eyed when I see how great of condition your FM is..err...was. ;)