Masterpiece Dirge

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Spark Extractor, Jul 29, 2016.

1. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I forgot it's the 28th there.:eek: 

2. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

...that thread is huge and covers a lot more than what I was shooting for. Unless it's recently become focused on Dirge, that is...I generally don't have time to sift through that massive, depressing thread :D  just to find Dirge updates. I figured a separate thread to gather the PC and MP Dirge specific pre-order people...almost like a focus group, lol. I really hope PC comes through, I really, really do.

3. Exodus

Exodus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually got an email back from PC stating that indeed the beginning of July they will start to ship Dirge out, although I'm not sure if it's because of the CC dispute I initiated that made them respond but here's hoping that all the folks who ordered Dirge on here will be getting them!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Yup. Got my MP Dirge earlier today. Will crack him open later!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  6. wrx20l

wrx20l Well-Known Member

Haven't heard back from PC re:my refund request, so I picked him up from BBTS for way too much money. Just glad to be done with the TT seekers and this junk mold, TBH. My payment dispute is still open with USAA, will update if they are able to recover any of the funds sent to PC.

7. wrx20l

wrx20l Well-Known Member

8. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

Herein lies the soul of a collector...paying way too much for a mold that you don't really like just to finish off a set :D  While I don't consider the mold junk at all, the QC issues are my biggest gripes. No way should they have the issues they do at this stage of the mold's life. Good luck with the refund, and we'll see if PC actually ships these to us.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Flesh Creature

Flesh Creature Human Germ

Just out of curiosity, why buy things you don't like? Is it a completist thing? I used to sort of be that way until I realized it's a waste to get stuff you don't enjoy just to have that sense of completeness. Since I've taken the stance to only buy the things I actually like, I appreciate what I have more; which makes collecting actually fun and not so obsessive. Just food for thought.

However, I must confess I broke that rule with Dirge. With five jet 'cons in, I felt obliged to pick up the last one. If I could go back, I'm not sure I would've bothered with the MP coneheads.

• Like Like x 1
  10. wrx20l

wrx20l Well-Known Member

Yep, basically all of the above. MP TFs are the only things I collect. I caught the bug when I bought Smokescreen on a whim - he was one of my favorite characters as a kid because of a deep fascination with racecars and talking robots. Once I decided to dive in, I committed to getting everything G1 starting with MP-10 forward. I really enjoyed the TT line until the swerve toward cartoon accuracy. The cone heads are particularly disappointing, because the quality is so poor and the design so shoddy...the floppy back piece and dangling nosecone between the legs are just pathetic.

At this stage, I buy TT MPs because I'm compelled to complete the G1 cast via the official line. I buy Fans Toys figures because I enjoy them. I love FT's heft, the overall design and the build quality. I think I'm in the minority here, as I am not nostalgic for the toon on any level - as someone who grew up drawing and earned a visual arts degree, the toon insults the part of me that loves high quality art and craftspeople that take pride in their creations...the TV toon is the epitome of cheap, low quality, cynical animation as advertisement. The TV toon is shit, IMO, but I have to admit that I will always have a little love for the movie - at least they made a genuine effort to up their game.

I'm nostalgic for the toys, particularly the toys with realistic, detailed alt modes. I loved the hell out of playing with my TFs as a kid, to the point that I still have almost all them stashed away in boxes...albeit in various states of mild to severe disrepair. Haha The idea that robots could hide in plain sight by transforming into cars, planes, trucks, etc blew my mind as a kid.

I always wanted the toys to be a physical representation of what the toon and movie characters would look like if they came to life. Granted, the idea they could hide at all requires a lot of magical mass-shifting, but you're not going to fool anyone if you're hiding as a vaguely fire truck-ish slab of red with no identifying marks or even taillights, but I digress. :mad: 

11. Flesh Creature

Flesh Creature Human Germ

You make some interesting points. It's funny, when I was a kid I wanted my TFers to look like the cartoon. Now that they do, I want them to look more detailed and realistic! I can find appreciation in them both ways, though.

The coneheads are largely a disappointment to me too; factoring in the cost, antiquated mold, build quality, among other aesthetic choices I find unfortunate. Something is amiss when instead of being joyous for completing the Decepticon jets, the dominating feeling is more of relief to be done buying the MP11 mold.

It's actually because of that I won't feel compelled in the future to be an MP G1 completist unless it's for something obvious like combiner teams. I liken it to some of my favorite bands and musicians making occasional "stinker" albums. Not everything can be a winner all the time. Takara is no different. But we forge ahead, looking forward to brighter MPs. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I've bought all three of these, and I just look at them and think how that money could have been better funneled into other MPs I want more.

It's not that they are crappy or have bad QC, it's just...I don't know. I've avoided being a seeker completionist on most other lines, so I'm confused as to why I had to have all of the most expensive ones that take up the most shelf space. I wouldn't sell them now that I have them, but there is buyers remorse for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Either you just really wanted more Destrons or it's the fact that there's there's some complex retooling on these in contrast to the entirety of Seeker history.

14. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    No Ratbat here. :( 

15. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Got my MP Dirge earlier this week and happy to report that no QC issues at all. Alt mode is the winner for me as he looks like a pretty slick jet. Bot mode... I'm just not a fan of what they did with the wings on his lower legs. The canards don't quite fold up neatly enough and still get in the way of posing the arms (even with the wing kibble sliders kept in the down position).

I'm glad to complete the main 6 Seekers and hope TT moves on from the mold. Though if they offer an MP Hot Link or Bitstream, I may have to cave just for those two instances.

• Like Like x 1
  16. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

I'm like a pig in shit when it comes to cartoon accuracy.

It's everything I've ever wanted. If the line were to take another direction, or go back, so to speak, I would still support it by buying everything, but this is the time I'm enjoying it the most.

Hail Kobayashi and that amazing vision. Truly one of a kind.

• Like Like x 6
  17. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    I'd be down for any of those and Nacelle. Helps that I wrote the bio for Nacelle and would love to see Takara'The take on him.

18. DesertDog

DesertDog Gone Fission’.

News Credits:
    In the Alberta Rockies on my Triumph Tiger 800XC
    I'd love an MP Nacelle, almost as much as an MP Actionmaster colours Thundercracker. But only if they use Thrusts wings on the non-Conehead body. I'd also take Hot Link, Bitstream, a new Ghost Starscream, G2 Starscream, G2 Ramjet, Toy accurate Coneheads, a mid-warp Skywarp and a purple nosecone Skywarp.

More jets please.

19. wrx20l

wrx20l Well-Known Member

Well, that's finally done and dusted. My bank has updated my PC chargeback with a placeholder credit to my account, which I'm taking as a good sign. Suffers the floppy chest and torso (features, not flaws!), but otherwise seems to be in good shape. The wing kibble is ridiculous, but I suppose there wasn't much to be done about that at this point. So relieved to be done with TT's seekers. Feels good to be bidding good riddance to this mold! :rip 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  20. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits: