By Generation: Masterpiece Datsun (Prowl/Streak): Make Missile Launchers in a "G1 Style"

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by turboedguy, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    While I’ve been waiting for my Masterpiece Streak to show up, I’ve been looking jealously at all the figures posted with the Amazon launchers. Since my Prowl was bought through BBTS and Streak through HLJ, I missed out. Instead of coughing up $40 or so for a set, I thought I’d just make my own. This is what I came up with. These are made from a set of new reissue Datsun launchers and a new set reissue trailbreaker missiles, plus a little time and styrene. In my opinion, these are more ‘toon accurate than the Amazon launchers, too.

1. Get yourself a set of G1 Datsun brothers’ launchers. Here, I used Commemorative Series reissues, so there is no spring or firing mechanism inside. Of course, originals can be used, but you must first disassemble and remove all the said components first:

[​IMG]

2. Remove rear screw, and saw off the front and rear section, leaving just the middle of the launcher as the base for the new MP weapon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Now, hollow out the center of the launcher until it slides freely over the MP factory launcher. DON'T cut too much; go slowly until it just fits. I used a Dremel and file for this, but (if you're creative) a drill and file can probably work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Now on to building the new launch tube. Find the desired styrene and cut to desired length. I used the closest size I could find without sliding over the launcher loose. The next step will clarify why:

[​IMG]

5. I didn't want the tube loose, because the friction is what holds the launcher in place. Since the factory launchers they will slide over are tapered, I also wanted the new launcher tubes to taper with them. To do this, I made a slice down one side of the tube, but not all the way to the end. I then slid the tube over the original launcher to find the correct gap in the styrene that will allow the taper to fit snugly on the factory launcher. The slice doesn't need to be perfect because it will be hidden on the bottom:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Using a file, I kept the proper gap in the styrene and glued it in place keeping the file as a temporary spacer and to help align the tube on the launcher:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. After test fitting the launcher to make sure it sits correctly on the factory launcher, I then glued a decorative piece of styrene on the bottom that not only looks cool, but it helps hide the gap we cut and adds strength:

[​IMG]

8. Now that the base is built, it’s time to fill in the front. I took two smaller sized styrene tubes that slid into one another and filled up the end of our new launcher; it also allows the new missile to fit in place. It helps if you let the tubes protrude slightly during assembly, then file and sand flush:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Now, just add some detail. I only added the bottom piece mentioned in step 7 and a second piece shown here because between the G1 base launcher details and the new tubes, I didn't want them to look too busy. Besides, the cartoon versions were very plain, and I'm trying to replicate that look to a point:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used the G1 Hoist/Trailbreaker missiles because I feel the tapered design fits the toon best, but a variety of missiles can be used:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nope. Personally I feel that is a useless gimmick on all the Masterpiece cars. To me, it takes away from the great alt modes these figures have, but to each his own . . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to paint the launchers G1 style red. I think I might like them more than the black ones:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.