Masterpiece Convoy Final Edition

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UltraMagnus3786, Mar 29, 2011.

1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I don't have any Masterpiece figures, but think I need to throw down eventually...

Has anyone gotten the final edition of convoy? How is it different from the original? I haven't seen any detailed pictures, but the head looks a little different, can anyone comment on that?

Overall is it a worthy/necessary figure? Should I invest in getting the trailer separately too?

Thanks so much!!

2. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    Mine's waiting at home for me. The only differences appear to be the engraving on his back (covered by his vehicle mode flaps) and the additional sound station stand.

I'll know more when I open mine but that appears to be the only differences.

Randy

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't believe Last shot is different in sculpt in anyway except that it has "Last Shot" sculpted into the back and a new display stand that yells at you.

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Just let us know if the damn thing lets you know the next MP figure to be released. I guess it does not or I am sure there would have been a post about it.

How freaking weak that they say the stand will announce the next MP figure and they never did it. WEAK!

5. UltraMagnus3786

Man, I can't find an optimus + trailer anywhere for a reasonable amount. It's on amazon listed as $350...

It seems the official trailer can't be found by itself either, there are only 3rd party trailers available.

Do you guys think the trailer is necessary, or should I try to get a prime w/o it?

6. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    there is no such thing as "necessary". its your collection. If you like prime without it, that's fine.

7. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Are you going to display Prime in robot or alternate mode?

Prime in robot mode without the trailer is great, but Prime in alternate mode needs the trailer to be complete.

Your call.

More than likely you'll end up wanting both just to have one displayed in robot mode and one in alternate mode.

8. UltraMagnus3786

Thanks guys-- haven't given much thought to how I want it displayed. Maybe I'll wait a bit and see if the prime/trailer combo is revisited in a few weeks. Last question is-- how different are the 3rd party trailers from the original? One I saw didn't have the Autobot insignia on the side. Any substantial differences in quality.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

9. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

The JustItoys version doesn't open up, and the Igear one is slightly bigger. I have the MP-04 and and its great so i would say just get MP-04 but it could be harder to find.

10. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I got the original MP Convoy with the cardboard trailer. Later I was able to buy a cheap toy truck with car carrier at Target. I then cut that trailer down and put the cardboard one over top of it. Now it has working wheels and is much sturdier. For me that's enough.
    I'm planning to post pics of it in the Radicon forum sometime...

11. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    the igear one looks nicer imo than the takara one but Id be suprised if it actually gets released in my lifetime. I have the justitoys one and (since I have multiple mp's) I only really needed it to fill a vehicle mode so its perfect for me. I would rather have the official one but can't bring myself to buy yet another one of those molds.

12. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    Finally got around to opening mine today (besides testing the stand out). Besides the stand's inclusion, the red on the figure is a bit lighter than the previous MP-1 and MP-4 releases. Here is he is with MP-4 (which was the same color as the original MP-1).

[​IMG]

I really do like this red quite a bit more to the more brick red of the MP-1, 20th Anniversary, and MP-4 releases. It's nice and vibrant without being too bright like the 20th DVD Anniversary version.

I think there is a bit of variation in the axe and matrix too compared to the other releases, but I haven't actually compared (and I think it varies a bit from figure to figure).

Randy

Attached Files:

13. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You really owe it to yourself to have at least one version of the mold in your collection. Any of them are really great except the DVD Edition (in a "Classics" box) , which was painted in very "loud" cartoon colors and had a blue gun.

As i recall the versions are:
    MP-01 - the original, identical to MP-04 except for lack of trailer and MP-04's base and some differences with who is on the communicator panels. Looks to be, on average, $200 on Ebay.

MP-04 - added a trailer, which superceded they many custom ones that were popular prior to its release. Goes for $330-$450 on Ebay.

20th Anniversary Optimus Prime - First US Release, based on MP-01 with short smoke stacks and a "battle damaged" paint job (burning and weathering), and a gun that I think was colored differently than the original MP-01 release, or might have changed mid-release. In fact the color of the Ion Blaster changed numerous times throughout the run of this figure (in Japan and US releases). Checking ebay, it is going with Buy it now for $140-$200.

DVD Edition - The Second US release, came in a "Classics" box and had a very "cartoonish" paint job, as opposed to the semi-metallic look of the originals and no vacuum metalized plastic. Also it had a blue, Ion Blaster, probably as a way to save money on production. It added the base however, that played voice clips. This is the base in MP - 04 final edition. Short smokestacks of course. I had this for a while, but it ended up reminding me of a knockoff, so I ended up giving it loose to a neighbor's 10 year old. And honestly, that's who its perfect for. It is emphatically not "Optimus Prime for adults", despite its collectors price point, limited run, and exclusiveness. "Masterpiece Prime for the masses" in a sense? Laughably, it is going for $170 to $250, mostly because of it's Classics box.

MP-04 Final Edition - The original MP-01 + the trailer (so MP-04) with the DVD Edition base + some other assorted goodies I think.

Personally, I bought 20th Anniversary when it first came out and MP-04. I honestly, regret buying MP-04. It was hugely expensive and really was just a figure I already had with a "clean" paint job and a trailer. I mostly just keep 20th Anniversary in robot mode and MP-04 in vehicle mode side by side in my display, but if I could go back in time, I wouldn't buy MP-04. The trailer isn't that amazing.

So my advice would be this:
    If you just want *A* version of this mold, get 20th Anniversary from Ebay. I'm not sure how much it is going for, but the differences with the other versions are small enough that if you're going to display it in robot mode, this is perfect for it. It's a spectacular transformer, probably one of the best ever made. You can prob

If you want the *definitive* version of this mold, splurge for MP-04 Final Edition. You'll get *everything* you can imagine in an Optimus Prime. But the kicker is, I feel that he is most impressive in his robot mode than his vehicle mode, so if you get this one and want to make it supremely impressive for people to see (or your own satisfaction), the trailer, just like G1, is left standing there unhitched.

14. Angel Magnus

Angel Magnus Well-Known Member

It's MP-01 Final Edition or Last Shot or Whatever, not MP-04. No trailer.

FWIW, I got mine from eToysJapan. $107 (ex shipping).

>AM<