Minor/Repaint: Masterpiece AcidStorm Begins!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Tigertrack, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hi all! I'd thought I would share my work in progress, Masterpiece AcidStorm!
    Thanks to my good friend Avolow, I received two free Wal-Mart MP-Skywarps and thought I would customize them. I've been wanting to do an MP AcidStorm for a while so that Sunstorm will have a brother. Anyway, here are some pics in progress. "Forgot to post pics of primer-stage." Oh well! LOL!

Paint I'm using is Model Masters gray primer, and Tamiya TS-61 Nato Green.

[​IMG]

AcidStorms accents will be Zinc Chromate which is a color used on the inside of inspection panels for real airplanes. I'll also be painting the silver parts dark gun-metal gray. I'm also heavily considering purchasing a 1/48 scale plastic model kit of the F-15 Eagle and use decals and some detail-parts from it to help finish off this figure. After decals and detailing are applied, I'll finish him off with a coat of dull clear-coat then assemble.

Enjoy the pic's!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And painted parts so far:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting take on this, should be pretty cool and military-looking :) 

3. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope you prepped that plastic before spraying it.... this mold as a TON of rub spots!

4. Tigertrack

I primered it, but didn't think to prep-it. Suggestions for rub-spots? This is my first full repaint on a Transformer.

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    go ahead and transform him after you think that paint's dry. wherever you see the black plastic, is where you should/should have done prep work.

6. Tigertrack

I still don't know what prep-work you mean.

7. Tigertrack

Thanks, I figured since AcidStorm is typically green, and of a military jet, it would suit him well. Plus, I wanted mine to be more realistic and different than the others I've seen of this character.

8. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Doing things to prevent the paint rub.

Obv. paint makes things thicker, right? Especially with priming, like you're doing. That's a lot thicker.

So, foe example, with the Shockblast mold, I know that in alt modr, folding his feet together, is a really tight squeeze already, so to prevent paint rub, I sanded down the areas on the feet that come close to touching when folded so that when I painted over them, it wouldn't be much thicker or thicker at all than originally. This prevents them rubbing when I fold them and the paint coming off.

9. Tigertrack

Gotcha now. Should I sand the joints before, or after assembling it?

10. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    before. You do it before you prime and paint the pieces even.

It's hard when you're new to a mold, because you don't know exactly WHERE, but the creative talk section of this board is AWESOME, so just ask on there where the rub spots on a particular mold are, and they'll let you know ASAP bc there probably isn't a mold you'll wanna custom that someone on here hasn't done already.

11. Tigertrack

I'm sure I'll find out after I've assembled him where he needs sanding. Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to remember this when I do MP Sandstorm. :) 

Got more parts primed. Will need to make a trip to the local hobby shop today to get more Nato Green. I was surprised how much I used spraying the parts I've already painted. I also need to pick up my accent colors as well.
    Still pondering if it's worth purchasing a $30-40 dollar model kit just for very few parts and decal sheet.

12. Tigertrack

Well sad fact.

I went to the hobby store to get some more paint supplies and to examine the 1/48 scale F15 Eagle plastic model kit that they had. It turns out, that these MP Seekers, are NOT 1/48 in scale, they are a tad smaller. So, I did not purchase the model kit, which kind of let me down because I was really hoping to use the decals and possibly some parts from the model to enhance my AcidStorm.

So what scale are the MP Seekers? Who knows! But certainly not 1/48 and probably none of the other conventional scales that are out there.

13. Tigertrack

Some more pics. Got the Testors Zinc Chromate paint, and Tamiay Gun-Metal X-10.

Painted the jet exhausts on his feet Zinc, and his chest plate gun-metal. You can see the difference between the original silver, and the new gun-metal. These smaller parts are just painted with a brush.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Tigertrack

A taste of thing's to come! I risked the paint a little and dry-assembled some parts to get an idea of how the finished product might look like.
    I think the F15 look's pretty cool in this green and is perfect for AcidStorm.

I plan on leaving the jet necells in factory color as I think it look's pretty good this way. It also helps blend in with his feet on the other side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow, this is looking great!

16. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

I think it looks cool so far but IMO i would paint those legs pieces to match the rest of the jet.

17. Scotscream

Scotscream Total-con

Ebay:
    hahaha i made exactly the same mistake here,im doing acid storm aswell and i normally sand these places down but like yourself id not used this mold before....and i can tell you where all the rub spots are because mine rubbed right off haha

most of them are on the ends of the wings,the flaps that interlock,you cant see these in jet mode so you can always not paint em (because the parts are already black) or sand them right down and paint them

i done this one in a really bright cartoon style but not finished yet,yours is looking great let me know how ya get on.cheers

18. Optimus0085

Optimus0085 Well-Known Member

nice.

19. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Nice project man, just my 2 cents on the prep work... Definitely wash the figure first with hot soapy water and then air dry fully. Then, it's good to check clearances by slipping a regular sheet of white paper between the joints and gaps where transformation would occur. Basically if you can transform a joint or gap without crinkling or 'grabbing' the paper, you're all set. If you do grab the paper during transformation then you need to cut, sand, or dremel those edges down to cancel out the rubs. Once that 'prep' work is done, then go onto priming (then re-check for rubs again - shouldn't really have any), then paint.

Prep work is like 99% of a 'transformable' custom. The paint work is the other 1%, lol.

20. Tigertrack

Thanks guy's. I did do the wash before paint though. I just didn't think about the rub spots at all. As you know, this is my first full Transformer repaint so I never thought to check those rub spots.

We'll see how it works out once it's all together again.