Mastermind Creations (MMC) / Ocular Max Studio Ox Style Insecticons

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by archieboy, May 26, 2015.

1. o1dpain1ess

o1dpain1ess Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was in the same boat as you with a complete set of FT. These certainly won't do anything to win you over, I actually love the FT's interpretation. But for me these feel like a nice compliment, something I can mess around with and flip back and forth and army build.

It terms of durability, nothing I've seen yet that feels sketchy or suspect. I tend to put my figures through their paces so I'll keep an eye on it for sure.

• Like Like x 3
  2. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What seller did you use?

3. o1dpain1ess

o1dpain1ess Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought the reviewed figures from Peaugh. The only stateside retailer I think that has them atm is BBTS.

4. Paik4Life

Paik4Life Reviews

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    This is basically exactly my sentiments. I'm glad I'm not the only ones that think they are a nice although not perfect set.

If anyone wants a set of the BC value pack bugs, I have mine for sale. Check my signature.

~Paik

• Like Like x 1
  5. Faxie

Faxie Well-Known Member

Aesthetically, these ones look the best for me overall. I think the FT and BC are too fat. I do like the BC clear chest versions though.

But I'll wait for them to go on sale sometime.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    BC and FT Insecticons are NOT fat!!!! They're just a little heavy on the electrons-electrons.

• Like Like x 10
  7. Devastator21

Devastator21 Fanstoys zombie

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Badcube is just stumpy fat and ugly.

8. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    They had the value pack for an even better price ($120, if I remember correctly). Unfortunately, it's sold out now.

I wish the value pack had diecast feet and then that'd be perfect. I think I might have to get both at some point. Wouldn't mind these too but I'll hold off for now.

9. Scyla

Scyla Well-Known Member

Seems like another Boreas situation to me. Not this time MMC. Fool me once...

Well these turned out to be a major disappointment to me. These posses none of the features I like in my collectible toys. I can't believe that the only OX toy I truly love is Sphinx and it went downhill from there and that was their first release. Back then somehow I expected that the line gets better from there not wors. Backdraft was good but riddled with bad QC (at least my copy). Terraegis was another step down into mediocrity and now this. To be fair the cassettes seem to be somewhat back to form. Jaguar is a truly great toy even if I wish he had the detailing of a tape printed onto it. Other than that the OX line was on the decline since the start.

Putting these into the Reformatted line is one of the baffling decisions MMC made during the long period till release. No paint, missing articulation, no locking points, hallow bits, weird application of chrome, etc. the list goes on and on. Sad thing is I passed on the FT bugs for these after Sphinx turned out that great (Sphinx is to me the best Masterpiece toy in my collection). Now my only hope is that FT might do another release in the future (with some improvements on Forager pretty please :D ). It is probably not a good thing for a company when I'm sad that I missed out on a competitors product.

This and Boreas (and maybe Terraegis) led to me not preordering any more MMC products whereas before I bought every mold without a second thought. Which is a shame because at one point MMC was my favorite 3rd party company that could not do wrong. I guess I should not take a risk and preorders FTs Apache and not wait two more years for Satlus. :( 

• Like Like x 2
  10. M Alex

M Alex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    What was wrong with your Boreas? Was it the color deviation from MTMTE, or something else? Asking out of curiosity. because I really like the figure, despite its flaws (like that neck).

11. Scyla

Scyla Well-Known Member

I've wrote a lengthy article what I think is wrong with Boreas.

The gist of it is that the quality of the toy is just bad. Nothing tabs together, transforming leads too huge stress marks and the plastic is so thin that you can look through it.

MMC cyclonus coming up?

• Like Like x 2
  12. M Alex

M Alex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    OK, thanks for the link. Yeah, although I really like him (aesthetically he's great IMO - I like the look of the plastic, the aesthetic changes, his head, and the mold in general, but these issues are always subjective), but the thin plastic had me very anxious when transforming (and that's an objective issue, as is the neck), which has less articulation than some Generations 30 toys. I consider myself lucky, because mine tabs in well. It has one issue (the post just after your article), but I chose not to exchange him out of fear that I would get a copy that has the issues you wrote about.

MMC still does a lot of high quality stuff (Tyrantron), but I do find it worrying that they also have been releasing more problematic stuff (particularly as they aren't cheap). I mean, even though I'd get these Insecitcons if I didn't already have the BC ones, they do seem closer to toys (likely including quality judging from @Peaugh 's review).

13. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Retro Active TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I hope OcMax focus on their cassettes and knock Frenzy and Rumble out of the park and continue on to deliver the Autobot cassettes and Ratbat. They seem to do those pretty well. Stick with what they're good at.

14. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Picked up this set today at TFCon after Ages3andUp put a hands on set out to handle.

Each have a few quirks, but just a few overall these are my favorites over the Fans Toys version. Kickback especially.

15. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can anyone who has handled both these and the Badcube set offer thoughts on how they compare?

16. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Retro Active TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They're both kind of underwhelming and undeserving of their initial MSRPs. For what you get, I'd place them at $120 max for either set, and ideally $100 or less on a Black Friday deal if BBTS or TFS accidentally bought way too much inventory of them.

• Like Like x 4
  17. OstOgBajer

OstOgBajer Well-Known Member

The knees and hands on two of the bots suffer from a bad case of Despotron-Knee. But aside from that, I love these guys. Much better than the other options asthetically.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:

Now that I have Transformed them all, I can definitely say that aside from Kickback's super loose grip on his machine gun... I love this set, and I am considering selling my Fans Toys Insecticons.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The hands pushing back inside the arms when touching them is really frustrating. Dislike the gaps and opening on this set considering I'm looking at them for MP shelf- though they really do look okay on the shelf since they are mostly in the back of bot modes. Final complaints are the chrome thighs and waists and TOO dark a purple used in my opinion. All that said they look better than Badcube's effort to me and cost less than FansToys set. So I'm okay with them overall.

20. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I can see that with the Badcube bugs. I just got the collector's set BBTS discounted to $139. Having them in-hand, they're fine. The sale price got them down to $47 a pop, which feels more like what the starting MSRP should have been rather than a screaming deal. BC was originally trying to sell them for $80 each? That's nuts.

It was actually this MMC set that whet my appetite for some MP bugs, so I was debating taking a second look. F/T seems out of the question unless a reissue is forthcoming.

• Like Like x 1