Master Collector ending - Being replaced with site MCAX.com

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Bgrngod, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I got the following email from Brian at TFCC today. Apparently TFCC is ending the paper print version of Master Collector and replacing it with a website for trading. No more shopping hunting for rare stuff on the bay?

I find this interesting because of much of the discussion here at TFW about wanting to avoid a full-on auction site other than the trades forums because of the hassle involved with disputes etc. I wonder how TFCC is going to handle this. Will it just be like the trade forum here or how will it be done?

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    oh god the X really is for eXtreme

3. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have so many things to say about this, but I think I'll save it for the podcast.

One thing I will ask though, is if this is going to drop the price of the international membership since there will be a massive reduction on postage cost?

4. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    no more fish wrappers!

one step in the right direction...

NEXT:

ONLINE BOTCON REGISTRATION....MAYBE IN 2012? THE ALLEGED END OF WORLD?

5. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can't say I'm surprised they're making this move. It seemed like Every other month there was another email from Brian reminding people about their free classified ad. Overall it sounds like a good idea that should have been done 5 years ago.

6. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Both of these.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    This is the only question about this that I want answering.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool, no more wasted time throwing that Master Collector thing in the garbage every month.

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    While I have no intention of minimizing the international memberships many problems, I'm curious if this will affect domestic members as well. If there's no manufacturing and shipping the waste pulp, memberships for all should go down.

10. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    How do you suppose they are going to pay for the new website?

11. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    While I did not care for the Master collector rag, I wonder if we are still getting the comic? Also, I just hope people realize that the junkion exchange is one of the best avenues to trade / sell/ buy. I of course have no problem with them having a forum for this but I can tell you nothing is going to replace what we have.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I recycled mine, but I'm glad I don't have to do it anymore :) 

Yes, we will. It will come in an envelope instead of inside of Master Collector. Just reread the message from Brian :) 

13. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    The excuse of the price being so high for printing and postage of Master Collector is no longer a valid excuse. Will look forward to their reasoning for keeping the price the same, or raising it, in the future.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Agreed. The only thing I can currently think is that we're willing to pay the price now. I've always wanted more content and no MC for my TCC subscription; sadly, it's taken 5 years for this to transpire. Better late than never, though.

Along with the price adjustment, it seems that the major difference in prices has been the shipping option. I'm especially awaiting this update based on this as well.

15. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't think they will drop the price, no company in their right mind is gonna just give money away that could be used a profit... just my :2c: 

I do wonder if this will increase the quality of stuff available for trade through them, a decently organized trade site would probably bring in more advertisers/sellers. It would be nice to be able to deal with other collectors directly and hopefully weed out some of the ebay scalper types.

16. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But...I like those nice, full color ads for TF products that came on the mag.

And that's about it.

17. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But that should be covered by the saving in producing the MC. Shipped items just got halved. Well 13 down to 7. MC is twice as heavy as TFCC comic and the envelope it got sent in bimonthly is likely to be twice the size of the one we get from next year.

Even allowing for the toy shipping has to be at least 25% cheaper without MC.

18. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    They are getting rid of Master Collector, so printing it(+) and shipping it(+) will save money. but also reduce income from ads(-).

They are adding MCAX which will cost money(-).

We don't know if the 2 +'s are more or less than the 2 -'s. Of course we'd all want to pay less, but I don't see why any one should expect it.

19. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If price *doesn't* go down for international members, that's a fucking swindle. I enjoy being a member, but our more-than-double membership price is unjustifiable as it is. I could understand if they need *some* of the revenue from that to run the online site, but the attempted justification was the increased cost of postage overseas. There is now 50% less international postage required. We should certainly not still have to pay the same price. I could accept it being brought down to halfway between the US cost and the current international price (that'd be, what, $65?).

20. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For US members yes that might be true. If your only paying $5-10 shipping at the moment then the saving from MC might be less than the increased cost of club membership with MCAX, but not when your paying $50 for shipping.

Also MCAX is still going to have ads so I don't think income from that should change.