Mass vs alien look

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by jorod74, Jan 10, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was wondering if anyone disagreed with what was said in the Special Features about why they didn't do a G1 optimus.

It was said that his G1 appearance didn't have mass or it wouldn't look right.
    I am wondering if they ever looked at DreamWave's renditions of Prime.
    That Prime looks hulking, menacing and actually quite updated.

and to me, all this hype about "we had to use 3.5 billion pixels, and spent all of 2001-2004 just to do Ironhide's cannon," bothers me. They could have saved the manpower and the money to go with smoother, cleaner bots and done more with the story or something else.

Sure, they are alien, but they copied our vehicles, so why not keep it that simple all around.

just some points i have pondered.
    I like the movie, just had thoughts.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  2. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This was all discussed at great length, both before and during the film's theatrical run.

Bottom line, as I see it: Designs that were more simple could have worked. Designs that were completely G1 could not have worked. The complex designs that were used did work.

We can debate until we're blue in the face about what might've happened had they gone another way, but no one's disappointed with the success of this film, the toyline, and every related piece of merchandise that came from it.

This is the style that exists for the film franchise and it's likely here to stay.

3. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Actually, I have to disagree with you about Optimus. He was the ONLY Transformer who looked like his G1 counter part. He just had an overwhelming amount of detail, and turned into a different truck. But the G1 was there. And he was a passable Prime, with the exception of giant nose and the donkey lips. HAha
    As for the rest of the cast, that's different story.
    Megatron looked like every anime monster I had ever seen rolled up into one hideous mess. And Starscream was just plain silly.
    For most of the rest of the movie cast, you wouldn't even know who they were if you just saw the pictures of them, with no descriptions.
    But I would kinda like to see cleaner character designs though. If anything for the sake of my poor eyes. I just can't focus on SOO much unnecessary detail at once. If only they had toned it down a little. Just enough to make them look more solid looking, and recognizable.

4. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Agreed, but add in Jazz and Bumblebee.

Though, I've grown to like the new looks while not abandoning the classic G1 characters.

Also, we're speaking as TF fans. The average viewer who has no idea what Transformers are might not be convinced with less detailed models. We just wouldn't know.

5. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who cares, the movie designs look absolutely amazing. Why go back to something old if you can do something new and beautiful?

6. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    If I recall, the old Freightliner was abandoned because Op would only be about 26 feet tall. Peterbilt = 40ft robot. His transformation is still very much so G1 - arms come from the front, legs from back, windshield chest. . . just some odd things like the feet being split between the front axle and the rear fender. o.o

7. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They did it so they can charge more money.

The movie is finished so its really pointless to talk about it.

Anyway, I agree with you as a G1 fan.

Let's just hope for the best.

8. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What? Movie tickets cost the same regardless of the film's budget and they're not charging any more for the Movie toys as they did for A/E/C...so what exactly are they charging us more money for?

9. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They already spent less money on transformers than a couple other summer blockbuster films, so it's not like they couldn't have shelled out the extra cash if they needed to.

Besides, even if they did spend 3 years on ironhide's cannons, big whoop. It's not like the people doing the 3d modeling were also the writers.

10. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Personally, I wouldn't have minded a 26 to 30 ft optimus. He was always the man not because he was the biggest (I mean if that was the case Grimlock should have been the leader) it was always his determination and grit that made him the most respected and overall the most powerful. I like the new Optimus. But I feel they made him the Peterbuilt so he would be the biggest and baddest Autobot. Though I LOVE the movie, better story telling and character development would have made it so he could retain his G1 form, and still easily be recognized as the biggest and baddest Autobot... and not only because of his size. In part 2 I hope there are some autobots and decepticons that are quite bigger than Ops, so he can go on an ass kicking spree and show us why he's the leader.

11. Alienbot

News Credits:
    Optimus is 28 feet tall in the movie because he is a Peterbilt. A Freightliner would only fit a 20 feet model, making him smaller than Ironhide and nowhere near a worthy adversary for someone like Megatron or Starscream. Cinema is a visual medium, lest we forget.

12. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

So Prime would be just like he was in the movie then? Optimus wasn't exactly a worthy adversary for Megatron in the movie. Their battle consisted mostly of Meg throwing Prime around. It reminded me of Robot Chickens Worlds Most One-Sided Fights.

13. Michael_Prime_2K7

Michael_Prime_2K7 The Crafty One

I agree with you on that. Let's see how much of an effective, and precise decepticon killing machine he is in a setting where there are no humans to be a liability. The other side of Optimus some would not want to see.

14. Alienbot

News Credits:
    I meant size-wise.

15. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

No, they did not. They looked fragile, and I found it unrealistic that pieces didn't fall off every time they punched each other. They were busy and ugly to look at. It was only "acceptable" in the end because Michael Bay is so stubborn he doesn't care what anyone else wants. And he won't let anyone else direct part 2, because of another director does G1 designs then he looks like a jackass.

As for whether or not they mass-shifted, I've yet to see anyone build a model of any of the robots by cutting up one of the vehicles and using no other parts. And I doubt nayone will ever do that because they mass-shifted when they transformed.

16. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    Oh noes.....not again......The movie bots ruled...."Deal With It Now!!!!"

17. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I think that simple designs could've worked, designs close to Gundams, but I like the whole ton of moving parts better. Robots that size and athletic must have tons of stuff needed to move every limb, digit, etc. They're like humans except that their "skin" doesn't cover everything

18. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Hmm.... I guess I agree I mean true defintently could of been a lot better if effects wheren't so focused on little more simples and just throwing this out there if they scan human cars why not faces?

19. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I agree, and I think one of the designers has actually said that they mass-shifted (I can't find a source for this, maybe someone can help), but the way that the vehicle was split up obscured the fact that some parts changed size. Personally, I think that was a great approach by the design team, and resulted in some great designs.

20. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    There's a smiley that fits perfectly this thread... Oh yeah! Here it is: :horse: