Mass Effect for PC - Problems

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gordon_4, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

Feb 20, 2007
    News Credits:
    I recently picked up Mass Effect for my PC. Now I understand as a new game it requires a newer system than the one I might have, but the problems I'm having are also happening to people with systems that are only a couple of months old if their tech support forums are to be believed.

To put this whole thing into context, the rig I run is as follows:

CPU: AMD64 3700+ @ 2.2Ghz
    RAM: 1GB DDR 400
    GPU: nVidia GeForce 8800GT w/512MB
    Scrn: 40" 1080p LCD

I have tried turning down the settings, I have updated every single major device driver on the machine (video, sound, motherboard chipset and hell even my keyboard). I still get a situation where 30 seconds into a game I either get a black screen with continued game sound or I get a frozen game and I gotta do a hard reboot. I've checked the BioWare website and there are no patches (although being brand new its not surprising). Has anyone else who purchased the game experienced the same thing?
  2. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2005
    haven't had any issues, however I've heard there are some issues with the Copy Protection they used on it, and from the sounds of it thats what your running into. The way the copy protection is setup it will let you install and start the game, but if it can't verify the game via internet it will lock it up.

I know that the first time I went to run it my firewall popped asking permission to let the game access the net, so make sure yours isn't blocking it. Not sure if thats actually the issue but hopefully this will help.