Mary Poppins moves to bumblebee date!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Gaastra, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And the one movie we all thought would bomb on that week got released a new trailer getting lots of praise online. It's now in the running! Man that week is going to be nasty with all those big films. Aquaman and bumblebee just got another big threat to worry about.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Azuzu98

Azuzu98 Still hyped as fuck for Rise of the Beasts

News Credits:
    My reaction when seeing alita :

3. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alita looks very uncanny....

Is this a movie that's supposed to have deep themes in it while also having awesome action? Cause this could be 2018's Ghost in the Shell or better yet Edge of Tommorow.

Also playing New Divide surely makes one think about Transformers.:p 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gaastra

News Credits:
    The manga and anime it's based on did.

5. CountOrlock

CountOrlock Well-Known Member

I just want to say that the source material for Battle Angel Alita is... Pretty much amazing. I read lots of manga and Alita is one of the best I have ever read.

Whether or not this adaptation is going to be good or not, no one knows at this point. Ghost in the Shell had good source material (not as good as Alita though, IMHO), but the adaptation was, frankly, absolutely terrible, which is why it bombed.

6. Gaastra

News Credits:
    And why not. More films added to the fun.

Upcoming Movies in Theaters and on DVD

Unknown film will come out same day as spidey and engines and destroyer and on the basis of sex (never heard of them) will be out the week after. Also limited release films cold war from amazon and zero will be out the same week!

This month is going to be brutal.

7. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde born-again First Churcher

News Credits:
    Mary Poppins X Bumblebee OTP.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

All we need now if for one of the streaming services to drop one of their big series in that time frame to really make it a cluster. I love movies and even I'm thinking it's too much to watch it all.

9. Gaastra

News Credits:
    To late.

As daredevil s3 may launch that day also but that's not confirmed!

10. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

I think bumblebee well be more successful. Christopher Robin came out and it didn't appear to do well financially. and seeing how this is a sequel to a movie that came out over 50 years ago. I doubt Mary Poppins well be popular with the kiddies and teenies. No one talks about Mary Poppins nowadays, their looking forward to the next action movie! Lego movie 2, avengers 4, wreck it Ralph 2, and bumblebee are the movies most people are looking forward too. And seeing how transformers is a profitable movie series and toyline, I am betting on bee.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheWarPathGuy

I forgot to mention aquaman and spiderman! I think spiderman well take in the money.
    I'm betting on it.

12. Gaastra

News Credits:
    New mary poppins trailer has people talking about the box office again.

13. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:

FoolhardyDiligentIbis-size_restricted.gif

• Like Like x 4
  14. TheWarPathGuy

That was a reference.
    But I don't think Mary Poppins well do very well. Cause Chrisptor Robin didn't do very well. But spiderman well kill it in the box office. There is just so much competition.

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Oh I wouldn't be so sure. Ever heard of the film 'Saving Mr. Banks' from 2013?

[​IMG]

It's literally a movie about the making of the Mary Poppins film - or rather, it goes more into the person that was P. L. Traverse and her life experience that led her to create the Mary Poppins books, and subsequently the massive pain in the ass she was to Walt Disney when he wanted to buy the movie rights.

It's legitimately quite interesting.

Anyway, this film was produced on a $35 million budget, making $117 million. It cost more to make the Bumblebee film but that still means Saving Mr. Banks made more than double its budget back, which is a successful film indeed.

If the reviews for Mary Popppins Returns are good, it may have a shot at ruining Bumblebee's day since those opening weekend numbers are critical and more money Poppins makes may potentially be money that Bumblebee doesn't, since Bumblebee is gunning for the family demographic more than the action demographic its predecessor films were all about.

16. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Bumblebee is playing with some really bad odds. BUT...

I don't see much competition from Alita as it doesn't have much of an impact in some countries. Aquaman, I'm not too sure. Bumblebee may give it a run for its money. Considering DCEU's track record, there's a huge chance for Aquaman to flop if the movie is less than perfect. In fact as I heard, Bumblebee received a better Test Audience Score than Aquaman. Besides, DC's name is mud these days on most countries outside US.

Spider-man is in the animation demographic. But it will greatly cut into Bumblebee's profit.

Mary Poppins is a different ballgame. It's unpredictable. BUT MP franchise is mostly popular in US and Europe. Asians doesn't even know who Mary Poppins is other than the reference in GOTG2.

Bumblebee on the other hand has a universal appeal. I don't know what it is with that yellow ****** but girls go apeshit over him. To be honest, Bumblebee is one of the key factors in bringing ladies of our country to see an action movie. Hence Transformers became a household name when it was mostly unheard of prior to Bay Movies.

The above does not apply to US or Europe. It's a different playing field over there. Let the games begin!

• Like Like x 2
  17. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought you need to make billions of dollars in order to be considered successful....:p 

But in all seriousness, that's pretty much okay result in my book. Domestic audiences were pretty much into it but foreign box office just does not care too much.

Also this doesn't explain the results of Christopher Robin, which surprises me cause Winnie the Pooh has stood out over the years as a Disney icon than Mary Poppins.

18. TheWarPathGuy

Oh. Nice agreement. Never watched mr.banks though. Hearing this makes bumblebee have alot of compatition.

19. Pepperonimus

Pepperonimus Casual Fan

News Credits:
    This pretty much the same case with where i live here. That being said, I don't know how bumblebee will succed in box office because the competition it has in december.

20. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Mary poppins trailer 3rd highest trending on youtube beating out captain marvel!

Japan knows mary poppins. She has been in the Disney park over there as well.

Other country versions also (including japan.).

But like other said this film is a wildcard. No telling what it will make.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018