Mary Poppins moves to bumblebee date!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Gaastra, Jul 10, 2018.

1. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    It needs to move forward. Hellboy and Glass are not aiming at the same demographic as Bumblebee. Let BB steal Aquaman and Poppins' thunder...not the other way around.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

The logic of the Christmas weekend release date is that they're aiming for the family demographic, which is helped by Christmas/Winter break pretty much coming into effect at that same time. That's a lot of kids free from school and able to see this hot new movie, making them want the toys, and forcing parents to hunt them down in the few days before the big 2-5. It also helps the bigger picture of Bumblebee at the box office since then you'll have kids free from school across the next two weeks, meaning more chances to go see the film instead of just late at night or exclusively on weekends.

• Like Like x 4
  3. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    That's true, but it would still work if they moved it up a week or two (as long as schools were still on break). Plus, that would give people more time to shop for the toys before Christmas. Most people would probably have their shopping done by the 21st.

• Like Like x 2
  4. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

Bee should just move to November

5. Terrellatron

Terrellatron LEADER OF THE TERRELLCONS

News Credits:
    They should move Bumblebee to October or November

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't think Bumblebee is going to be able to steal anyone's anything.

• Like Like x 2
  7. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they do move the date. Maybe at SDCC they could announce it, but with declaring something along the lines of "fans would want to see it right away so we moved it up" with PR Service as apposed to moving it because of competition.

8. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    I'd rather see Bumblebee then Mary Poppins. Even as a kid I didn't like it.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I'm bewildered as to how it would work considering what happened with the Guardians and Ego the Living Planet and- Oh, THE OTHER Mary Poppins! Sorry, my bad.

Well on a personal front I'll prefer the robot to the poppin, but it'll be fun to see how it goes either way.

• Like Like x 4
  10. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bet the film moves to jan 2019...

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I don't think it will move after its current release date. The trailers and marketing all say "this Christmas", which means it has to come out between November 30th and December 21st. (The Friday after Thanksgiving, or the Friday before Christmas.)

I mean, it's not out of the question that they could move it to October or January, but it seems less-likely since they seem to be committed to making it a Christmas movie.

12. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    November 30th looks pretty empty right now as far as release dates go. Perhaps Bumblebee should move there? That would be 9 days after Creed II and Wreck It Ralph 2. In addition, it would be 2 weeks before Spider-Man/Spiderverse and 3 weeks before Mary Poppins and Aquaman. The downside is that kids won't be out of school yet. However, if Bumblebee can get good word of mouth and favorable critic reviews, maybe the movie will get some "legs" and last into the Christmas season. Plus, it would have a solid two weeks without a ton of competition.

• Like Like x 3
  13. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Now why on earth would they move Mary Poppins from an empty week to a week with the most competition of the month? Very strange.

I'd personally move Bumblebee to December 7 at this point.

• Like Like x 2
  14. CountOrlock

CountOrlock Well-Known Member

Good. Bumbleebee needs to be drowned in the bathtub so we can get a proper reboot without Bay and Lorenzo.

• Like Like x 1
  15. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Want to some salty with your French fires they're free ;)  today's special

• Like Like x 2
  16. Autobot Burnout

Does Disney have anything else coming out around that time? It's possible since all the big studios seem to have stuff around the same time - namely WB with Aquaman and Paramount with Bumblebee - that Disney needs to shove something in there to get some of the money their competitors. That's just the way I see it given it's Disney and they're pretty much invincible so long as they have the Marvel films.

I know you're trying to lay a burn on the guy but really your rushed posting seems to have mangled your grammar.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I guess anything's possible, but this still made me laugh out loud.

18. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

At the risk of sounding like some uncultured degenerate millenial, what's the big deal with Mary Poppins? I hadn't ever heard of it until GOTG2, and from what I've seen of it, it's just generic child-adventure musical Disney drivel. I know that "genre" is a goldmine for them, but I've never been able to sit through five minutes of any movie like that without going through physical pain and the desire to feed copper-plated lead to my eardrums. Is there something more to this particular movie that makes it special, or am I just tasteless trash?

I'm not even very biased towards Bee's Brilliant Bonanza; I do want it to succeed, but I'm worried if it does too well, Paramount's gonna be a dumbass and do TF6 or a sequel and I just want them to be done with TF movies until everyone finally forgets about the Bayverse.

19. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All of the studios (even Disney) are gonna suffer cuz of this. That's just too crowded a lineup for there to be a true winner. It's obvious a film is gonna move but I think more than one probably needs to.

Why Mary Poppins moved to that date is puzzling. It would've done fine where it was.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Autobot Burnout

The film Mary Poppins pretty much was revolutionary for its time - there's a sequence where Mary Poppins, the kids, and Bert (Dick van Dyke doing a hilariously bad imitation of a British accent but it's part of the film's charm) magically jump into some sidewalk chalk art Bert drew. The following thirty minutes or so is live action interacting with cartoon drawings, complete with TWO song and dance numbers (specifically, the more famous of those two is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and yes I googled that spelling). Back in 1964, that was basically unheard of, combining live action and hand drawn animation, even more so than what the advent of CGI probably felt like.

Additionally, at the time, the Mary Poppins books were reasonably popular to the point Walt Disney's daughters made him promise to use his big 'ol movie studio to produce a film adaptation. And that man was hell bent on keeping that promise to his daughters because the absolute BULLSHIT he went through trying to get the author; P. L. Travers, to agree to his terms because that woman was...peculiar (namely, she hated the fact the film had an animated sequence where Bert dances with penguins...even though that was literally lifted directly from the stuff SHE WROTE). The film Saving Mr. Banks (great film, Tom Hanks absolutely kills it as Walt) is actually about the entire story behind getting the rights to make the Poppins film and while it's romanticized...they play back recordings of the discussions over the rights during the end credits to show that yes, P. L. Travers was that difficult to work with.

And in defense of the original film, it isn't generic child-adventure drivel. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you haven't seen the 'bank' sequence which has Dick Van Dyke playing another role as the crotchety president of the bank. It's a film very much worth watching - especially if you follow it up with Saving Mr. Banks afterward to understand the underlying context, but from the title of the film alone, it should clue you in that what's actually going on in Mary Poppins is more than just a musical about a magical nanny taking the kids on adventures.

Actually, if you've seen Nanny McPhee, it's basically the exact same premise about a magical nanny, though the plot and setting is completely different and the kids are straight up little shits at the beginning, whereas in Mary Poppins the kids are well behaved and just want to spend time with their workaholic dad.

• Like Like x 4