Marvel Zombies: Dead Days

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Chrono Grimlock, May 9, 2007.

1. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Wow. I've loved all the Zombie stuff so far, but this felt really rushed. Especailly the art. I love seeing what's going on in the ZU while Ash is cleaning house, but there's lots of continuity issues with the previous ZU books. Anyone else pic this up?

EDIT PS Reed Richards? WTF? Wow.

2. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

They should have just let it die at the first run. The ending was so damn good, why ruin it by making more?

3. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

They want to get as much money out of this, of course.

4. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Because most of it has been pretty awesome. And it's great concept. The only tie in I'm worried about is the direct sequel starting at the end of Black Panther this month.

5. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

Is there a variant cover, or is it just the Zombie X-Men #1 version (for now)?

6. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Just hte X-Men for now. But I'm hoping for a very cool variant cover soon. Something from like, Civil War or some other large scale MU crossover.

7. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Does the Scarlet Spider actually do anything in this or is just shown in the background of all the chaos?

8. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Background. : ( The only worth while cameo is the Nextwave boys in the Army of Darkness/MZ book.

9. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

The only MZ story I have yet to read is their original appearance in Ultimate Fantastic Four. Gotta pick up that "Crossover" TPB one of these days, but I keep putting it off because I'm not really into Ultimate FF.

Anyhow, I still love the Marvel Zombies. Dead Days was alright and did tie into the MZ mini and the Army of Darkness mini fairly well (keep in ind I haven't read Crossover so I dunno if there are any contradictions, there). Reed is a dick.

Starting to get the feeling of "over-saturation", though. We've got this one-shot, the Army of Darkness crossover AND the upcoming Black Panther sequel all going on at once. I hope Marvel paces itself and the Zombies don't turn into the next "symbiotes" (cool when introduced, hammered into the gound very quickly).

10. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Agreed. But with this being a one-shot and the Army Mini ending in two months. I think it's fine, but if something pops up outside the the Black Panther appearences, it'll be a bit much.

11. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

The art sucked. Everytime I saw SpiderWoman, all I saw was a fat ass face. The story was okay. It really didn't explain anything and the only really worthwhile part was Spidey eating MJ and JJJ. Everything else was just more of the same from the first series.

- "Why are we so terrible, we have to stop this. But we can't so we will just deal with it!"
    and
    - watching heroes go to the Zombie side one by one.

And Zombie world Reed is so much more of a dick than MU 616 Tony Stark.

12. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    I don't know, it explained how Reed got to the other dimensions and affected the ult. U.

13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's funny you mentioned that. I told someone today that zombie Reed was to MZ as Iron Man was to CW.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the good side, nice to have some Marvel Zombies without having to put up with Ash. On the bad side...damn near everything else.
    - Phillips' art style was a bit 'rough' in the first miniseries, which actually added to the tone, but this just looks rushed and terrible (either Giant Man can stretch his arms now or the perspective is WAY off when he picks up Black Panther).
    - Some of the scenes were unnecessary and better left to the imagination, IMO. In the first miniseries, when Spider-Man mentions eating Mary Jane/May and the Avengers mention eating Jarvis, leaving it off-panel allows the readers' imagination to fill in the events with details more horrific than the mediocre presentation we received here (admittedly, the scene with JJJ was excellent). It's not necessary to 'show' everything.
    - I can't believe the survivors couldn't come up with a better strategy than "wade into a sea of zombified heroes"; sure, they didn't have much time to think, but it would have made more sense to keep distance and rely on energy powers.
    - Not sure I'm happy with Reed's characterization here; seems to just be left-over "Reed's a dick now" carry over from Civil War.
    - There are also a number of questions still left unanswered: Why are robots/mechanical beings getting infected? What was Magneto's 'deal' with Sentry (this one has 'future one-shot' written all over it)? Why does the infection melt off everyone's lips?

Care to elaborate on this? It's been awhile since I've read "Crossover" or "Marvel Zombies".

It got popular and popularity = cash = concept gets run into the ground. It wouldn't be quite so bad, IMO, if Kirkman hadn't written them into a corner with the ending of the first MZ mini-series and left some room to manuever besides just filling in gaps.

15. The Spider

Yeah, I agree with this. Maybe it's just me, but I thought the fact that having Franklin and Valeria killed by She-Hulk was more than really needed, especially when taking into account that the MZ universe has different continuity than either 616 or Ultimates... They coulda just had only Franklin there and we'd get the point.

EDIT UPDATE: Now that I think of it I just remembered that in "Crossover," Zombie Reed (while pretending to be 616 Reed) mentioned that he also has (or had, as it now turns out) a daughter. I guess Kirkman was keeping in line with that, so that's kinda forgivable.

I'm fine with it. I think it was Kirkman who said a long while ago that for Dead Days, he'd reveal that the FF of the MZ universe is sinister compared to their counterparts, so I expected that to happen.

I dunno what else Chrono Grimlock noticed, but IIRC, in the AoD comic, Iron Fist became a zombie when Black Cat bit him, and in the one-shot it seems that he becomes zombified when Luke Cage bites him. That's just one that I could think of.

16. The Spider

There's also going to be a Kirkman-written sequel to Marvel Zombies planned, in which Drax the Destroyer and Thanos appear, too.

17. JD

JD Well-Known Member

I thought Dead Days was a good read, though I did have a couple issues with it.

Firstly, the logic behind sending the uninfected into close combat with the zombies was just stupid. Seriously, there's no justifying it. Ranged attacks would've given the survivors a far greater more effective. Hell, they could have just used Black bolt to wipe out the majority of zombies with one word.

Secondly, Robots/magical/etc....How the hell did they get infected? Guys like Ghost Rider, who don't have any flesh to bet infected, should be immune to the virus.

Thirdly, what happened to Hulk?! Banner was mentioned briefly but never seen. Also, Hulk vs Zombies would've owned! BTW wasn't Zombie She-hulk still around in UFF and MZ? I could have swore seeing her.

Regardless, it was still great. And Zombie Reed and 616 Tony should totally have their own buddy series :D 

18. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Quote:
    Care to elaborate on this? It's been awhile since I've read "Crossover" or "Marvel Zombies"

In Ultimate Fantastic Four #22 we see Reed in terror as he starts getting infected by the other zombies.

In Ultimate Fantastic Four #23 Dazzler is wearing a different costume. It's a minor gripe but it doesn't seem that hard to check the series where the characters first appeared and continue that costume design.

Also, in Ultimate Fantastic Four #23 Hulk gets his jaw smashed off by Ult. Thing; in the MZ story whole jaw. Whole, gross jaw, but whole jaw.

Those are just a few thing I noticed in the Ultimate FF story to now.

19. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

Ugh, sounds like this is a mess. But remember, Marvel doesn't really have any in-house continuity like DC does, so there's always that...

But I agree with whoever made the symbiote comment--everyone was "OMG superzombies!" when it first came out, now there's a damn mini/crossover every three weeks or something.

*patiently awaits Marvel Adventures: Zombies title*

What? You know it's coming...

20. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

I missed the humor in this one-shot. The original mini was fun and funny. MZ v AOD has lots of humor. This just seemed like action and exposition without the laughs.