Marvel vs IDW

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Aug 19, 2012.

?

Which is better?

1. Marvel

21.9%
  2. IDW

78.1%
  1. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Between the entire Marvel Transformers comic series and what we've had so far of the IDW Transformers comic series, which is a better read and why?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    After a bit of deliberation I picked IDW. Marvel was good, but only good. People remember it fondly much like they do the G1 cartoon. Overall the comic series was slow and had hit-or-miss stories and was tied to promoting toys.

IDW started out pretty good with a fresh, unique take on the war between factions but then got pretty complicated, and in response to that was completely fucked over and under with AHM and the ongoing. While it was bad a for a long while, it had good mini series and the like peppered throughout and is really damn good these days.

3. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I kinda agree. as much as I love the complete Marvel run (UK MUST be included for this) It's fun in a nostalgic sense, but is in no way 'good' comics. I love the early IDW stuff for genuinely being an 'ultimates' take on Transformers, really considering what makes sense for that universe, and having exceptional artwork. to be honest, the lowest points (AHM, most of the ongoing) still surpass the lowest ponts of the Marvel run. And now, we are seing some genuinely good, challenging comics coming out of the franchise that can actually challenge the product out in the rest of the market.

All IDW needs is more Geoff Senior and it's perfect overall.

4. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I agree, IDW is a much better written and drawn comic overall. The Marvel series was written as a toy tie in comic, pretty much required to rotate in new toys as they came out, which really hindered what it could have been. Sure we got some good stories here and there (Ratchet vs Megatron, Blaster and Scrounge, The Matrix Quest, and the final battle with Unicron), but most of it was just not that good. With the way IDW is going, especially with MTMTE (which in my personal opinion is far and away the best TF comic ever, read it if you haven't), in a few years, there probably won't be as strong an argument for the Marvel side as to which had the better comic series.

5. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I prefer the Dream Wave stuff. But if I had to call it between IDW or Marvel. I have to go with the current IDW titles. It feels like these new titles are really telling a story and not moving product so much.

6. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I don't get the praise Marvel's run gets. To say it was all over the place is an understatement.

7. Star Saber

News Credits:
    It's nostalgia, to many who grew up with it, the great stories at the time made it seemed like the greatest thing ever, kind of how the G1 cartoon is to many fans who grew up with it. :) 

8. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Exactly. I'd be crazy to claim that the G1 book was a masterpiece. It DOES have moments of excellence, and truly is a cut above nearly all licensed books of the time. It holds up as a fun read still, but is nowhere near the level of excellence that IDW has reached at times.

I would say the Time Wars>LSOTW though...

9. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Between -ation and the current ongoings, I have to go with IDW. I can overlook AHM and the old ongoing. The Marvel run had some excellent stories (Target: 2006, Legacy of Unicron, Time Wars, Unicron again), but not much happens in between those.

10. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Agreed, though Marvel had a number of truly excellent licensed books, in fact some lasting beyond the life of their line at the time. Their handling of GI Joe, Micronauts, Star Wars and ROM were also great runs.

11. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Genuinely shocked at the results so far. IDW winning!?!

The Marvel saga (1984-1994), and by that I count the US AND UK stories as one continuity, is definitely the best. Will probably never be bettered.

12. ErbFan28

News Credits:
    For as many "old timers" as we have on here, I'm surprised to see the Marvel vote count that low

13. Deadfett

Deadfett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Couple months back i'd have went marvel but having reread it for first time sonce 90's this year i realise that yes there are highlights but for the most of it i found it hard to get through. Was bit gutted really

14. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    As much as I love the Marvel run, and it will always be my favourite book from my youth, It just isn't as good as most of the stuff IDW has put out.

Nostalgia doesn't make it a better series unfortunately.

Marvel does thoroughly beat the DW stuff. Seriously, go back and read the DW G1 stuff. It's painful. Fanfic at best, garbage for the most part. Even TWW doesn't really hold up that well now. DW is for Transformers fans who really don't like comics.

15. dontuhatepants

dontuhatepants Active Member

I decided to pick up the comics and get into it (never exposed to them previously). Had the choice of starting with the Marvel line, or the IDW.. Chose IDW due to the fact that the last time I tried to go back to the beginning of transformers on the tv it was a real slug fest to get through the original G1, at least the first season.

Loving the IDW so far. The one-shots are brilliant. About to hit AHM so perhaps judging by some comment I am in for some dissapointment but will push through ;) 

Nostalgia... brilliant thing, but sometimes it is just best to focus on the memories you have rather than trying to re-live them.

16. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Voted Marvel (by which I also count Regeneration One).

The reason for this mainly goes with the reason that Ultra Magnus is my fave transformer. Out of the two Mavel is still the one that has used him best and kicking the most ass. He was a proper hero in that series and not some strange peace keeper of sorts that IDW had him being.

Stories like City of Fear, the Galvatron V Ultra Magnus fights and so on are things I hope someday to see from IDW. At the moment in IDW he casts more fear to Tailgate than he does to the Decepticons.

With it's 332 comics the UK Comics line of Tranfromers did have it's ups and downs (Car Wash of Doom!!!) but IDW is not without it's stinkers (The Bumblebee mini, Heart of Darkness, Avangers crossover) and the previous on Going before the current 2 was not as good and had some very meh moments to downright wtf (Acid killing a transformer......)...

Maybe in 2 years or so the IDW run will change my view, but it still has some to go. And thats not counting that Regeneration One has to yet pick up and is still in explaining the past mode.

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think its unfair to a degree to compare, since the Marvel comics were aimed at a younger audience, and also formed a foundation that IDW has been able to crib from heavily. IDW's stuff may be better than the Marvel stuff was, especially in terms of art, but after 20 years, wouldn't you expect it to be?

18. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly, they have taken all the good stuff and left the bad, so I would definitely expect it to be better.

19. ErbFan28

News Credits:
    What's up with all the hate for AHM. I didn't have any problems with that book. In fact, I thought it was really good

20. dontuhatepants

dontuhatepants Active Member

Just got through AHM and I kind of agree... I enjoyed it a lot. Maybe because I had the bar lowered here first? Hehe.