Marvel Vs Army of Darkness #2

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Metal Soldier, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Another enjoyable issue with lots of crazy Marvel deadite/zombies and the man, Ashley J. Williams. I loved the interaction of Ash and the heroes. Although the last page was a serious WTF moment. I didn't see that happening.

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ditto.

*SPOILERS!!!!!*
    *DO NOT READ IF YOU DON"T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING!!!*

So where does the story go from here? Will Ash become a zombie or will he just be eaten by Howard the Duck? I'm so confused as to where this storyline is going.

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probable spoilers below. You've been warned, etc.

Broke down and picked up this issue, despite being not impressed by the first one. The art is still very nice and I like seeing some of the character cameos in the backgrounds, particularly Cloak and Dagger. Concerning this issue specifically, my main problem was Ash repeatedly doing the "I have to find the Necronomicon" bit (three times!). Fine, the heroes he's interacting with don't know about it, but the readers do and it's not necessary to keep reiterating it on panel for us. Mentioning it to Dazzler was important for the plot, but not with Spider-Man or Punisher (and that whole bit with Punisher was just bad...Frank would have been killed years ago if he was that stupid). A couple of my problems with the miniseries in general carry over to this issue as well (didn't comment on the first issue, so will mention them here). First, I didn't like the "Army of Darkness" films and I find Ash to be really, really annoying in this; they're trying to make his dialogue seem 'cool', but it's coming off forced. I think this would have been a more compelling story if they'd used some lesser-known Marvel hero in Ash's place, trying to find a mystical solution to the problem. Secondly, it's a bit anti-climactic, since nothing of consequence can really happen, assuming this is the actual Marvel Zombies world and not an alternate reality, since we've already seen the result in UFF Crossover.

I did as soon as I saw the previews; they really shouldn't have shown that last page, blanked-out section or not. Wizard also had an article in their last issue that mentioned the miniseries is called Marvel Zombies/Army of Darkness and not Marvel Zombies/Ash for a reason, so maybe this is part of it.

4. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Well, I didn't see it coming and thought it was one of the most awesome WTF moments ever. Almost bought the issue for that alone.

5. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Oh fuck! I agree: that last page really was a WTF moment. I guessing Ash either somehow lives or becomes a zombie.

6. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I smell time travel or dimension hoping!

7. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Is it me or are there some continuity errors in this Marvel universe. I mean, the MZ universe is supposed to take place in the 80s or something right? So what are the Runaways and Winter Soldier doing there?

8. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    80's? Then why is Sentry there? Also, it's different continuity which means that the Runaways fit in the same way Colonel America does.

9. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Sentry's there because he came from another dimension. And I'm just saying that this universe is younger than 616, therefore some characters shouldn't be be where there are yet. I mean, Luke Cage is wearing his yellow silk shirt!

10. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Given the history of Winter Soldier, Bucky should be there. Its just that no one knew it was him.

11. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

No, I think this is just whatever they feel like--Iron Man's wearing his first red-and-gold armor (with the pointy facemask) in the first MZ mini, Captain America is named Colonel America and was President for a little while, Luke Cage is a member of the Avengers (which didn't happen till New Avengers was formed), Mar-Vell was apparently seen among the crowd, and of course, Galactus hadn't invaded Earth (IIRC, no one in the mini-series recognized the Surfer).

And the preview Sean Phillips has on his blog of MZ: Dead Days has several 90's characters* in the crowds of heroes preparing to fight the zombie heroes. Oh, and Nextwave will apparently be another thing from current Marvel that will show up in MZ vs Army of Darkness.

So basically, it's a hodge-podge and there's no real need to worry about things other than internal continuity. (Like, why the hell does Iron Man's armor in MZ/AoD not have the pointy, extruded facemask that the UFF arc and MZ have?)

*SPOILER FOR UPCOMING DEAD DAYS ONE-SHOT: One of said 90's heroes is Scarlet Spider.

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Wow. Can't believe none of you guys noticed something major about the last page.

Spoilers:Ash has his right hand back on the last page. Meaning it was either a major goof, or that's not Ash. Also, on the previous page, the hands grabbing him have five fingers, while Howard the Duck only has four on the last page. If it's not a mistake (which it could very well be), someone else entirely grabbed him.

13. JD

JD Well-Known Member

I noticed his right hand but not the five fingered Howard. It's probably just a stuff up.

14. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

INSTANT BUY!

15. The Spider

AHA! Here's the link to Sean Phillips' blog with the DEAD DAYS preview image, with the 90's heroes in the crowd. But after reading MZ vs AoD #2 I'm wondering what time this scene takes place, because there's a character in there who's already a zombie in #2....

http://surebeatsworking.blogspot.com/2007/02/at-last.html

So yeah, if you want to be surprised at who shows up, don't click on the link.

16. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    MARVEL ZOMBIES/ARMY OF DARKNESS #3
    The Story: The crossover event of the year continues! Dimension-hopping hero Ashley Williams offers the last hope to the few non-infected humans left in New York. But that hope is contingent upon him retrieving the mystic tome known as The Necronomicon. And right now, ol’ Ash isn’t in any condition to retrieve it-considering he was jumped by a zombiefied alien and now lies stone dead. How bad can it get?
    32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$2.99

MARVEL ZOMBIES/ARMY OF DARKNESS #4
    The Story: The quest for the one thing that can save Ash and his crew of survivors takes them to Latveria, home of—Doctor Doom! Who will live, who will die, and who will get their sorry butt tossed into a dungeon after one too many smart-alecky comments to a certain metal-plated monarch? Think fast, ’cause a legion of hungry zombies is on the way!
    32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$2.99
    ARMY OF DARKNESS TM & © 1993-2006 Orion Pictures Corporation. DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT TM & © 2006 DFI.
    www.dynamiteentertainment.com

I was just going over the marvel site, and volia, Ash most likely pulls it through? Yes?

Also, about Dead Days, I'm not sure how it can fit in the Army of Darkness/Marvel Zombies timeless since, well, we see Spidey get bit on the shoulder, a wound which he doesn't have in the preview for Dead Days

17. The Spider

But the Spider-Man setup in #2 seems to fit in with the opening of Dead Days, though.... I guess it's possible that AoD/MZ can be stand alone or kinda-sorta fit in.

18. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

It's a different universe from the 616. Luke cage is an Avenger in the yellow shirt, Captain America is Colonel America. Pym is dressed as Giant Man, not Yellowjacket, Sentry is involved.

Remember, Ult FF traveled to another universe, not the 616 when the crossover happened.

19. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
  20. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i've read the 1st four or five pages of dead days and itll all fit together....robert kirkman is a smart guy and i know he's helping the guys who are writing the MZvsAOD...there's always the possibility of a slip up, but i doubt it. i think dead days will mostly deal with how spiderman deals with being bitten...

and as for issue 2, the page with the blob running from zombies was bloody hilarious....i was reading this in my store and busted out with laugther at it....great stuff...

now, with black panther, thats what im not understanding...it seems like a shameless tie in to get people to buy black panther...i'll probably get the arc, but dont really care about it other then the zombies. and i'm very concerned about the fact that the 616 universe and ultimate universe are that closely connected as well....but we'll just have to wait and see how it all fits together....maybe ill make a post on kirkmans message board and report back here with the info about continuity.....