Marvel Ultitmate Universe Ending?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Predakwon, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Does anyone know what's going to happen to the Ultimate Universe after Ultimatum?

I see in the Feb solicitations that Ult X-men and Ult Fantastic Four are ending.

I know it's been crappy lately but does know if they plan on releasing new #1s or just scrapping the whole universe?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I thought they were only canning one title?

At least thats what Wizard told me.

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

USM and Ultimates are sticking around.

I'm sure the other books will resurface again.

4. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    the ultiverse is changing, but will still be around.

5. DuelPear

DuelPear Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you read Ultimatum #1 or not but if you did, it shouldn't surprise you much to see those titles ending as half their characters were killed in Magneto's attack on Manhattan.

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

With the two titles being canned, I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two the Ultimateverse consists solely of the Ult. Spidey title.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    After Ultimates 2 ended it has been the only one worth reading for quite some time.

8. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I loved Ultimate Spider-man up until Mark Bagley left. After that it's been readable at best. Ultimate X-men was great up until the Cry Wolf. The first 2 Ultimates were awesome.

Ult FF just seems to cram random characters like Agatha Harkness in horrible fashion.

Others were crap like Ult Vision and Galactus. Ult Daredevil, Elektra, and Iron Man were ok at best.

I still read all of them because I was hoping they'd pick up but no luck.

I paged through Ultimatum #1 but I was still thinking that Torch, and the other X-men would come back at the end of the mini series.

9. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Guess I'm the only one that still likes Ultimate FF, huh? So of course it's beeing cancled.

10. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I thought Ultimate Galactus was really cool, although I wish they didn't call the trade Ultimate Galactus because it ruins the story. We were all reading Utimate Nightmare issue to issue and then BAM, you find out Galactus was coming.

The one part I was disappointed in was how vision was handled. I was totally convinced that he was going to be the herald and was lying to everyone that he was there to try to help beat galactus, I thought he was there to make sure they COULDN'T beat galactus. But no. still thought the story was cool.

11. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Although I think it could use some better stories, I do like UFF. Really I like all of the Ultimate titles. Especially given some of the crap they're doing with the 616 universe in recent years. So personally I think it sucks they're ending any of the Ultimate titles.

12. Optimus17

Optimus17 Well-Known Member

There not going to end the Ultimate Universe, it's part of their 52. XD

13. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Spidey and Iron Man were the only good books going, and the latter was just two miniseries.

14. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I liked it, however haven't picked it up since the Zombie arc ended ages ago.
    I do however plan on picking up the trades.

As for the rest of the Ultimate Universe I'd really like to see Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine finished some day (funny, I know) but I fear that after the end of Ultimate X-Men we'll get a separate title of Ultimate Wolverine.

Mind you maybe the Scarlet Witch will come back and say 'no more ultimate mutants'

:p 

15. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The fate of the ultimate universe is a sign of the failing of the comic book industry as a whole. Marvel had two relatively good writers concot this universe together out of nothng. But they have nenver been able to consistantly keep the books staffed with good artists of writers.

16. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    That's not true at all. Ultimate Spider-Man had Bendis and Bagley for 111 issues. And even though I can't stand Loeb he's a big name in the biz so every Ultimates Vol. had a big writer artist attached. Ultimate X-Men had big name writers for it's entire run.

I also have to disagree with it being created from nothing. It was created with 616 characters thrown into an X-Men movie-like real world.

The folly of the line is it was water and started overlapping it's own continuity. One of the biggest points of the line was it took no prior knowledge of the characters. After 4 ongoing and a dozen mini series it was creating it's own continuity which leading to a cluster fuck when some writers didn't like what the previous ones did. Ultimate X-Men was probably the worst for it.

With the Ultimates so late all the time it made the other seriously thrown out of the time line. In a recent Ultimate Spider-Man arc we were told Peter's only been Spider-Man for 7 months yet in Ultimates Vol. 3 he'd have been doing to for roughly 3 years.

Also, personally, I don't think the line is ending, I think they're hoping to re-juice the line and reinvigorate it by cutting off some of the fat. We know Millar is back with Ultimate Avengers and Ultimate Spider-Man isn't ending any time soon.

17. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

They're keeping the Ultimates?

Jesus, that book fucking sucks now.

18. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I think it's being called Ultimate Avengers at least.... and Mark Millar!

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

No, this is just the typical decay of a new line. Its happen to every line or company since the 80s. They're hot for a few years then readers slowly start to abandon ship as original creators depart.

Like Chrono said, building continuity, failure to adhere to said contintuity, and lack of a consistant vision/direction drove readers away. Ultimatum will more than likely give the line a short term boost, but eventually the line will end up like the M2 universe. Its a supernova a white dwarf...it inevitable.

And disagree with the good writers and artist statement. The Ultimateverse has nothing but the best writers and artists in the industry. Though some:::coughKirkmancough::: failed to deliver.

20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The reason the old Marvel Universe used to work so well was it had creators like Stan Lee as EIC, so there was someone who could tell these writers, no spider-man would never make a deal with the devil it goes against the core of the character. But sadly there isn't anyone like that anymore. It also used to be that everyone worked in the same building, so thy could go down the hall and check facts with other writers or artists. With the internet, they can't be bothered to take the time to e-mail each other to check facts.