Marvel TF Comics - Dilemma - to buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Triformis, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I'm in a dilemma of sorts...in my private collection, I own all of the original Marvel U.S. comics run except for 3 of the issues near the end (forget the first 2 off-hand, but the last one is #80 (of course)). Recently, I lucked out and picked up a second set of them from #1-52 for pretty cheap in order to replace some of the worst-for-wear issues in my first collection. I figured I'd sell off the others eventually to people who need them.

So, here's the first problem: a friend of mine (fellow transfan) recently said he wanted to sell his collection, which is 100% complete. However, he won't break it up and will only sell it as a whole set. I am seriously tempted to do so, but I don't want to be stuck with 2 incomplete sets just to get those 3 issues...should I simply keep hunting (I've been looking for those 3 issues for over a decade) or should I bite the bullet and buy his collection and then try to make back some of my losses on here and/or elsewhere.

There's also a secondary problem: he won't set a price and wants me to throw out the first bid. Now, since I bought my original collection in pieces for great prices over the course of the past decade or so (cover price or lower for many) and I got my second, recent one for pretty cheap too, I have absolutely no idea what to offer my friend. I know he thinks $1/issue is too low, but I'm used to paying that or lower...any ideas here?

True, I could look at e-bay, but it's a fickle market and I want to pay him what's fair and I know many of you have intelligent ideas/opinions to offer me while e-bay is full of cutthroats and people lookig to make a quick buck (and good people too!) and is not a place to go for real advice.

So, again, to sum it up:

1. Should I buy a complete set of Marvel TF comics for an undetermined price just to get 3 issues I need/want and then sell the rest or just keep hunting for the 3 I need (for another decade, if necessary)?

2. What is a fair price to offer my friend for the complete set?

2. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That would be like a 400 dollar set man even at 5 dollars and issue. That's assuming they are all in good condition since 9.4's go for about that much.

3. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

The set's going to depreciate as soon as it's split. Have a thorough scout around online and see if you can find places that do "want" lists.

4. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Do it, then eBay your other sets as individual issues and hope that people bid up some of them to absurdity.

5. Triformis

Nice comments, all. I now have some more things to think about (that's a good thing). Keep it up!

6. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

:sly: 

$400?! Pssh. No way a complete run goes for that much, in whole or piecemeal, unless there's AFA shenanigans involved. By that logic, if he did buy his friend's run, he could sell all his then dupes for most/all of his money back. Most of 1-60 can be had in <$1 bargain bins or in lots on Ebay or elsewhere. 60-80 and particularly the back 5+ issues took a serious dip after crazy highs in the late '90s. They may be spiking again, or due for one, with the movie coming up, but it's certainly not worth it to shill out $400 to get the three you need.

Which three issues are you looking for anyway, Triformis? I got my complete set almost solely by buying lots which left me with a pile of extras, including a few in the coveted 70-80 range.

7. Triformis

Yeah, I was 99% certain that $400 was insane, but I welcome all advice and help. I'm an equal opportunity advice-seeker.

As for your offer, Omnibus Prime, I will absolutely send you my wants once I get my fiancee to look at my/our collection and tell me the 3 that are missing (half my toys and comics are set up at her place). I'll contact her tomorrow and PM you. Thanks very much in advance!