Marvel takes on battle royal/hunger games with avengers arena!

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Gaastra, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hopeless and Walker Populate "Avengers Arena" For Marvel NOW! - Comic Book Resources

More or less the story is arcade kidnappes a bunch of teen heroes and forces them to battle in murderworld in a televised event where heroes have to kill each other to survive. Only one can leave alive.

This has got mixed reviews on the comic sites. Some like the hunger games in marvel universe while others hate that well known heroes are going to kill each other and see it as a waste.

Also if heroes started killing each other like this the fantastic four and avengers would rescue them so they need a really good reason they don't.

What do you guys think of this? Here is the cover.

[​IMG]

2. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    ugh.... no thanks

if i wanted battle royale and hunger games i'd watch/read those

hooray for hopping the bandwagon, though, marvel!

if there's anything good i could say of it, itd be that the sawblade lookin graphic with the Avengers "A" making up the 'teeth' is sorta nifty

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Agreed. Just screams of creative bankruptcy. Even the X-Men vampire arc didn't rip off Twilight as badly as this does Hunger Games.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    "hey, remember how much attention we got when we killed off that z-lister in Initiative? LET'S MAKE THAT INTO A SERIES!"

"Genius!"

5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I think the author and the artist for Battle Royale should fucking sue!

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    At least Marvel is up front in acknowledging this is a creatively bankrupt rip-off.

DC had a series not too different from this recently, where they pulled different versions of the same characters from the multiverse and made them fight each other to the death, and I didn't much care for that idea, either.

In fact, DC called their series 'Arena', too. 'Countdown Arena'.

Still, I feel bad for the people who have to write and draw this stuff. It can't feel good.

7. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

DC actually did this with Teen Titans years ago in the Terror Titans story. I'm pretty sure it was before the Hunger Games, but I don't know about Battle Royal. Incidentally, I did not find Battle Royal anywhere near as good as most people seem to.

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Battle Royale the film is wicked sweet, the manga its based on... less so.

I think Marvel can get away with this, they've already done it (sort of) with the original Arcade storylines which involved the X-men and Spider-man? (early Claremont IIRC)

Also the concept of televised murderall was done in Judge Dredd 2000AD back in the 80's, can't remember the storyline exactly. I think the idea of pitting school classmates against each other was all Battle Royale, but that film had a lot to say about the state of society and gumph like that.

So yeah, I like it, I recognise a few faces on that cover, is that Nighthawk and X-21 I see? I might pick up the trade in the future.

9. Star Saber

News Credits:

Yeah, but Arcade was always a bit goofy, and his shtick was always to have heroes battle through an obstacle course, unlike this battle to the death riff. Mojo might have been a better option given his reality TV gimmick background, though hey they might be saving that for the X-Men version of this!

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Actually Arcade was a paid assassin, who killed people through his Murderworld 'amusement park'. But when he tried to kill the X-men and Spider-man (was Arcade in a Spider-man comic? I think so) he failed.

Anyway Marvel have ALWAYS ripped off/been inspired by other IPs, look at the Brood/Aliens, Phalanx/Borg, hell half of the Marvel Universe is based off Ancient Mythology! Its how the Marvel characters act to the situation is what makes the story.

Edit
    Although I do agree Mojo would have been the better choice of villain for this.

11. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this is a really, really, really bad idea. Not only is it one of the most naked cash grabs Marvel has made in awhile (and that's saying a lot, considering their recent history), but I really don't see the appeal in reading a book where children kill each other. The fact that I like several of these characters who may be on the chopping block really doesn't help. I hope this thing tanks fast before it can do much harm to the existing characters.

12. Star Saber

News Credits:
    The problem with miniseries like these, is that they're normally already plotted out, so I expect them to kill off some characters, and just bring em back when the next big event, tv series/movies, or new writer requires their presence.

13. The Swordsman

The Swordsman The REAL hero of Hyrule

News Credits:
    Sounds like a cheap way to get Hunger Games fans to start reading comics. I won't be picking this up, as most of the characters are ones I don't give a f**k about (mind you I do think Reptil's power is cool).

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Actually, both the comic and movie are adaptations of the novel, which is better than either. But I believe the movie and comic came out concurrently. Not to get off topic.

15. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

What bugs me is that Avengers Academy, which is one of only 6 Marvel ongoings I read is getting cancelled, and this is pretty much all we're getting in return for it. On top of that, there has been no news of a new Runaways series, which I've been hoping to see for the last 3 years. If they just kill off the Academy and Runaway characters for this gimmick I'm going to be extremely upset.

Hopefully they actually have a bit of characterization in this and the characters that people actually care about make it out alive and on to their own series'.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, the characters have to find some way around the "Only one can survive" thing. Otherwise no one needs to read anything, since we know they aren't going to kill off X-23.

17. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I can easily see them offing Reptil -- I don't know which came first, the comic version or the Super Hero Squad version (both debuted in 2009 I think?), but now that SHS is over I can see Reptil easily getting offed as he's not in a major tie-in anymore.

I do think they will kill a big name, like X-23 or Darkhawk, just for shock value but they'll bring them back like they always do.

18. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Least they're already telling us what it is, right there on the cover: HOPELESS

19. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    I'd be madder at the death of characters, if I knew more than two of the characters on the cover.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The only one I recognise is X-23......