Marvel or DC?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by jetfire prime, Jul 4, 2011.

1. jetfire prime

jetfire prime Do it now and do it loud

News Credits:
    kind of an age old question. My friends and i decided to make a video about it

YouTube - ‪LosersLikeUs's Channel‬‏

im a marvel person myself (im the one in the spider-man t shirt). leave comments on the video as well as say which side you are on

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    No need to watch a video, I'm a Marvel guy. DC has so great characters and stories though.

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Marvel, because that's the franchise which I am most familiar with. Love Batman though.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    DC, baby. At least up until September, when my brand loyalty will be sorely tested (no more Batgirl :cry ).

I actually used to be a full on Marvel zombie until 2004, which included two dramatic events that changed my allegiance completely. The first was House of M, which I hated so much that I damn near dropped all my Marvel titles. The second was Infinite Crisis, which I found so compelling and awesome that it drew me into DC really hardcore. Since then I've devoted a lot of time to hunting down and poring through back issues and web sites in order to learn as much DC history as possible. I still read some Marvel books (pretty much just the X-Men and Avengers titles), but a lot of that is just nostalgic franchise loyalty with very little excitement attached to it. Honestly, the only Marvel books I really get into anymore are X-Factor and Avengers Academy (although X-Men Legacy is pulling me back in with the imminent return of Rachel Summers).

5. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I've been reading/collecting Marvel comics since 1988, so I will always be Marvel at heart. Meeting and getting Stan Lee's autograph was one of the highlights of my life. :) 

6. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Both. Although I don't care for the current continuity of either at this point. I prefer the classics.

7. Grimlocks Pretender Shell

Grimlocks Pretender Shell mmmm...energon

Make mine Indie :p 

I buy more Marvel than DC so i guess Marvel.

8. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    DC totally.

Up until, I think, the Fatal Attractions X-Men event that deprived Wolverine of his Adamantium for a time and it's immediate aftermath if I ever bought a comic it was Marvel. Everything from Transformers and GI Joe to X-Men/Wolverine and Spider-Man. Then I stopped buying all together.

I started picking up books again a few years ago, and it's been about 99% DC. I've become really engrossed in the history of the DCU, particularly Post-Crisis Superman and Justice League. I just have no interest in Marvel characters anymore, though I do like most of the movie versions...

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Though I've traditionally read Marvel than DC, I've never considered myself either a Marvel or a DC person. Never really got why one must prefer one over the other.

10. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I don't think it's a case of "must" so much as a case of people typically just "do" prefer one to the other.

11. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've always been more of a Marvel guy. There's only a few DC characters I'm interested in, like Green Lantern.

12. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I prefer Marvel but I read both. Might have something to do with who has the Hulk :lol 

13. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I used to be Marvel, until One More Day and Ultimatum pretty much killed my interest in their stories.

Now I'd consider myself more of a DC fan.

14. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I read mostly DC, barring a few titles (Thunderbolts, Avengers Academy, the occasional Deadpool book).

15. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I dropped Marvel like a bad habit when I realized that's exactly what it was - a bad habit. I read, and spent a lot of money on, stories that ultimately didn't do anything for me, such as House of M, Secret Invasion, Civil War. As I would read them I'd think, "wow, this is really bad," yet I'd go out and get the new issue when it hit. And then Ultimatum hit and messed up what had otherwise been a great run on Ultimate Spider-Man (it didn't help that Bagley left the book). It just finally hit me that Marvel's great characters were in the hands of the wrong people. By the time we got to Civil War, the whole point of the book was to have characters behaving out of character for the sole purpose of creating hero vs. hero dynamics. The Secret Invasion came along and nothing happened. For 8 issues. At $4 a pop.

Not that DC has a stellar track record - Final Crisis was garbage and I'm very nervous about the "not a reboot." I just find the bulk of their stories to be more fun and that's what I want from my escapist entertainment. I look forward to the day I can read about Spidey's adventures and whatever is going on with the X-Men. Hopefully that day will come soon.

16. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

It depends.Comic:Marvel,their characters are more human than DC,to many Gods(or might aswell be gods).
    Cartoon:Hands down DC,Marvel can't touch DC animation right now.
    movies:Marvel,they just have a better track record than DC.

17. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    DC

18. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I prefer DC. From my experience with Marvel, they seem to have a lot more melodrama and soap opera aspects to the characters, whereas DC is focused more on the escapist sci-fi/fantasy elements...and I'm far more interested in the latter. If this quasi-reboot does end up with DC's universe becoming more "Marvel-ized", that'll likely be the end of my reading anything from the Big Two.

19. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I prefer Marvel. I just like their characters better for the most part.
    Deadpool's my favorite and I'm really disappointed I can no longer subscribe to his title. I don't make it to the comic store enough to keep up.
    Then Toxin and Spider-Man are my next two. I stopped reading Spider-Man after OMD/BND, by decided to pick it up again recently. I still hate the fact they ended the Parker/MJ marriage, but I like reading the issues now.

I just find Marvel main characters' powers more compelling and interesting. I like Spidey's quickness and the idea of web swinging, I like how Hulk is so powerful but completely out of control, I like Wolverine and Deadpool's healing factors, and I like Ironman's armor.
    But with DC, I find Superman "too perfect" to be compelled by him. Batman is kind of neat, but I just still find the whole idea of dressing up as a bat, when he doesn't have any bat powers, pretty silly. And Green Lantern's ring also seems like a silly idea to me.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I've got a great deal of respect for Marvel and her characters; but I'm a DC man at heart. The seeds planted with Batman: the Animated Series, and then well and truly tended and blossomed thanks to Justice League.

In fact leaving out the TF comic and the Evangelion manga, all the comics on my shelf are DC: Wonder Woman mainly, but also Power Girl, Batman, Green Lantern, Superman and some assorted one offs.