Marvel Netflix series Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Jun 21, 2014.

1. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Where? Post an example from one of these various magazines.

I am very anti-white washing. But you can't just decide to call anything you don't like in movies related to white people "white washing".

The Ancient One in Marvel's Doctor Strange movie is white washing.

Hollywood's Ghost in the Shell is multiple cases of white washing.

But Iron Fist's casting, while a problem, is not white washing. It's a totally different problem.

And you don't seem to be getting the point. Iron Fist, as he was created, is an example of this "white savior" trope you have a problem with. I'm not saying you are wrong for having a problem with that. I would never say that. But this Netflix show is not the cause of the problem. The character was already that. The character has never been anything BUT that. Ever. If you have a problem with that trope, you should be against ALL versions of Iron Fist.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gregles

gregles quintesson

I can see why some have a problem with the mighty whitey trope but also how it doesn't quite fit with it being a white washed character as it was always a white character.

To the shows credit it does acknowledge and at times contrast the cultural contradictions of the main character struggling to fit in as an outsider in both his homes and balancing buddhist beliefs and morals in with the ultra capitalist world of pharmacutical corporations.

I'm around about 8/9 episodes in (damn you convenient Netflix destroying my memory) and I'm a little disappointed with the show. It's not that it's bad television as it has some good scenes and characters its just that it feels like the least confident and clearly defined of the Marvel Netflix shows as all of the others had pretty strong identities whilst this feels like it should have pushed its story themes and style influences much further and some better fight scenes wouldn't go amiss.

3. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

An asian american is just as likely to be considered an outsider in the same circumstances as Danny in this. We've seen who could have got the job and the show would have been much better for it in my opinion.
    Not trying to argue with you or anything, just pointing upbringing and culture could have been used instead.

Just wanna chime in and say I love Iron Fist- but still have a big problem with the trope. I can't go back on growing up reading the comics and understand the time he was created etc, but yeah- I'm for sure in a weird place as a fan :lol  (love/hate etc)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kingfish333

Kingfish333 Well-Known Member

Agree. And look at Iron Fist's creator, who recently used offensive sterotypical 'Asian' 'slang' to describe Asian culture. No wonder the character was created as a white savior. Modern open-minded and diverse casting could of remedied this.

5. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
  6. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
  7. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Just finished Iron Fist, wow, the ending amounts to nothing, what little development Danny gets with dealing with guilt, is undone by giving something else to make him feel guilty about.

That and in the end, he's wrong, his actions did nothing and now have made the situation even worse.

8. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

That's cause the Defenders is going to actually finish Danny's story. And give him a costume.

9. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
  10. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Uhm, not sure if it was asked before, but should each show have it's own thread by now?

Not a big deal, but seems other shows have them for much less content.

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

This show is a hot mess on every level, even PC Asian casting wouldn't have saved it. Hell, Asian actors should be counting their blessings they avoided this turd.

12. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
  13. mrbogart

mrbogart Member

they released a new footage of Marvel's Defender.

14. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Man, been watching Iron Fist sense it's release and I've stil got half of episode 11 plus episodes 12 & 13 to watch. I've honestly only had this level of apathy for a Marvel Netflix show since Jessica Jones part way through and I still managed to finish JJ. Here I kind of just want to read the episode synopsis for the last few episodes instead of watching them. Which is a shame considering Danny Rand is one of my favorites among the four Netflix characters second only to Luke Cage... and, again, while Cage's show definitely looses steam in a few places, I didn't feel like I was forcing myself to finish the series. It doesn't help that Iron Fist can't figure out what kind of show it wants to be, the fight choreography is bad, and the acting feels subpar. Honestly, changing Danny to Asian wouldn't have helped this hot mess of a show even if you are cool with changing a character's historical depiction. The Iron Fist material was just screaming to be a full blown kung fu action show... but we got this mess instead. Also, is anyone else getting tired of Night Nurse conveniently finding her way into every show? I love Rosario Dawson, but damn if her character meeting each of them in some way doesn't serm like forced writting.

15. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
  16. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Iron Fist is definitely the weakest of the three Netflix shows, but I enjoyed it and had no trouble at all finishing it.

I think Marvel found themselves in a similarly weird place. They walked a fine line in Luke Cage between trying to be true to the character's often problematic roots without bringing the problems along, and they came up roses. I think they tried to walk that same line again with Iron Fist and stumbled.

But I think they did try to address the "Mighty Whitey" white savior trope. They just tried to do it by taking out the "savior" part instead of the "white" part. The white savior trope is that the white protagonist ends up in the foreign land of some other, learns the other's ways, and then uses his superior mastery of those ways in combination with his civilized white knowledge to defend the other's foreign home from some threat--usually more white people, who are just too advanced for poor other to fend off on their own. So Danny is given that exact job, and
    he fucks it up. He completely and utterly fails, and it's in no small part due to his outsider status as a white New Yorker who wasn't truly raised from birth as part of K'un Lun's culture.

(Note that this moves Danny Rand from the full-blown "white savior" category to being just another iteration of Bruce Wayne or Oliver Queen: a rich white kid who lost his parents, learned Asian fighting techniques, and came home to fight crime. We hardly need another one, but the first two don't often upset people very much.)

Regardless whether that much is deliberate (I think it is), the series has other way of showing that the writers were thinking about the problematic aspects of the source material. We're shown over and over how arrogant Danny is despite his benevolent intentions. Right from the beginning, we should notice how condescending it is when he says to his homeless companion that people must think they're alike--showing us that Danny thinks he isn't the same as the homeless. We should notice that he immediately demands to be a teacher at a dojo he's never even attended. We should notice how other characters know more about the Iron Fist and his abilities, and/or are more powerful in mystic arts, and/or are just plain better at fighting than Danny Rand, despite his self-assurance of his own mastery of kung fu and the iron fist. Davos, in one critical sequence, accuses Danny point-blank of literally appropriating from K'un Lun's culture inappropriately.

It doesn't make things less awkward, and it doesn't address the lack of Asian protagonists on American television. But I think it tries to acknowledge the awkwardness and leverage it toward showing us white folks the ways we're often blind to our actions and privilege. I think that deserves at leas a bit of acknowledgement, which it generally isn't getting.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Sadly though, these are what makes Danny very unlikable, something a main character especially a hero should not be.

• Like Like x 1
  18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Yeah, I get that. These are faults that are more forgivable if the hero acknowledges them and works to correct them. And he begins to do that a little bit just toward the end, but not enough. I think that development is meant to continue--but that ties into what I think is the show's single biggest mistake: it relies too heavily on its status as an introductory story. Character development that should have happened by now is left for Defenders, making Iron Fist feel incomplete--because it is.

• Like Like x 1
  19. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 5
  20. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits: