Non-TF: Marvel Legends All New X-Men X-23

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by stratonrye, Sep 17, 2016.

1. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Finally Done!
    Hey All. So I saved the clear coat as best as I could, fixed a couple last things, and took pictures last week but I was getting really frustrated with how the pictures were coming out. So I ended up waiting a bit to go through and edit them. I still wish I was better at lighting and editing photos but whatever, they actually look fine so here they are:

x-23 Action.jpg

I said in my WIP this is my custom Marvel Legends Laura Kinney AKA X-23 in her All New X-Men uniform, or as close as I could get it because the different artists on the book didn't really agree on some of the costume details lol. She is made from Hasbro Marvel Legends (AraƱa) Spider-Girl, a cast of Hasbro Marvel Legends Emma Frost's head and hair from Star Wars Geek on Ebay, and the old Toybiz X-23's clawed fists. I wasn't originally going to use the old figure's fists on mine because I thought it was going to be tough to splice them onto the Spider-Girl figure, but then I saw another customizer use the old figure's fists like this and I realized it was actually going to be a super easy swap. All I had to do was cut the I-bolt shaped joint from Spider-Girl's hands (well actually from White Tiger's, more on that later), heat and pop the pin out of the old figure's fists, sand down the outside of the of the I-bolt shaped joint a lot to fit in the fist's holes (the inside surprisingly fits the pin fine), and trim one of the sides of the pins down a bit to make re-inserting them a bit easier. Then I just had to heat the fists back up and re-insert the pins. Pretty simple. For paints I used pretty much all Testor's paint including: Testor's Acryl Gloss White, Gloss Black, a mix of Chrome Yellow and International Orange, a mix of Burnt Sienna with yellow and orange, Chrome Yellow for the X-Men buckle, 2 dots of Green Zinc Chromate for the eyes, Tan, Skin Tone Base Light, Skin Tone Warm, and Burnt Umber for shading on the feet, fists, and face along with a couple others on the face I can't remember. For the claws however I used Games Workshop Mithril Silver. Everything except for the claws was topcoated with Testor's Dullcoat Lacquer spray paint and the claws were given a few coats of Future Floor polish.

Overall, I'm really happy with the results and I learned a lot about repainting human action figures as opposed to Transformers, even though there are a couple things I wish I could change. I will say again that I really hope someday soon I'll learn to sand down ALL the rubspots on a custom before I even start painting, a problem I always seem to have. Next up, I'm working on Jean Grey in her All New X-Men uniform to go with X-23 using a cast of ML Spider-Gwen's head and ML White Tiger, which is molded in white and will be a whole hell of a lot easier to paint light colors over hopefully. Also, I might experiment with using vinyl stickers or electrical tape to do the intricate details on her costume which could save me a headache or two. That won't be for a little while though because I want to have a clean desk for a bit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  2. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

WIP (moved here from 1st post)
    Hey All. I wanted to post some WIP shots of the latest custom I've been working on, Laura Kinney AKA X-23 in her All New X-Men uniform. This is the first non-TF figure I've tried to do a full repaint on and it kinda shows and has been really frustrating. As per usual, I kinda rushed right into painting as soon as I thought I could and didn't do enough sanding and prepping on the joints so paint rubbing has been a serious issue. One of these day's I'm going to learn not to do that. One of these days... Also white paint is HORRIBLE to work with and I HATE it! Especially painting white paint over black plastic. However, I am proud of how the minor sculpting work I did to the figure for the belt, soon to be X-Men buckle, and high collar turned out. I'm also really proud of how the face on the head turned out too considering this is the first time I've ever tried to paint a face at this scale. (The head is a cast of the Hasbro ML Emma Frost I bought off of Star Wars Geek from ebay who did pretty darn good job btw.)

With all that said, I'm in the home stretch of this custom and was kinda hoping I could get some words of encouragement and feedback to help push me to finish it off and move on. Let me know what you think!

X-23 WIP Scene.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Nice work on the paint - it's tough to get the minute details like eye color done right on faces for smaller figures. The white looks great too. The body reminds me of a Microman? I used one to do an articulated Aayla Secura about 11yrs ago, but the pivoting neck isn't a feature I recognize.

Looking forward to more pics :thumb 

4. Satanatron

Satanatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Paint apps are looking very nice

5. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Thanks! The face was tough and I had to repaint parts of it a couple times but I'm happy with the results too. Although, after staring at the detail picture I took, I wish I had tried harder to paint a more serious, angry/aggressive expression on her or gone with a different head cast that was sculpted like that. I was actually considering using a cast of the ML Gamora head from the Guardians of the Galaxy box set from the Casting Cave like pictured below instead of the Emma head. With the serious expression and gritted teeth, the Gamora head would have worked great for the character but it didn't come with hair. I went with the Emma head because I thought the hair would work well and I might be able to paint the expression on. Oh well. :(  I may try and tweak it still since I haven't sealed it with a top coat yet.

[​IMG]

My crappy lighting is helping to hide my crimes with the white paint and you haven't seen her back yet on purpose because it is definitely a little more rough right now but thanks for saying it looks good too. ;) 

Using a Microman for an Aayla Secura sounds like a good idea to me. I bet it turned out great! I decided yesterday that I was going to list all the parts I used and do a full write up on my process later when I update the thread with the completed pictures. But since you asked, the base body I used is actually the 6 inch scale Marvel Legends Spider-Girl (AraƱa) figure. It a nice figure with pretty good articulation and is scaled to be used for smaller, teenage girl characters which was perfect for X-23 in my mind.

[​IMG]

Thanks dude! I really appreciate it. Like I said, I'm pretty frustrated with it at this point and kinda posted the WIP shots now to help motivate myself to doing the last few paint details I need to finish and both your compliments are helping me want to get working and do it!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  6. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Hey all! I finally got this damn figure more or less done today and here is one last preview picture. It's been really frustrating but the end is finally in sight. I only have to do a couple of touchups and give her a light scrub to clean off any hand oils and dust before I clear coat her with a matte clear to seal her up. Next, since I'm afraid that it will be hard to spray the shoulders with the head on and the method I'm using is apparently permanent, I can finally attach the head (it's just sitting on the ball joint in the pic). With any luck I'll get the head to sit in place as straight as possible in the existing joint hole and I won't squeeze out hot glue everywhere and ruin the paintjob. (Wish me luck!) Then Laura will be ready for her close-up.

Oh! Also I changed my mind on what I was doing with her hands and I was able to transfer the clawed fists from Laura's old Marvel Legends figure onto this one. I'm kinda proud of myself on well I did this and I'll probably write up more about how I did it with the final pics.

Update 10-18: I had some trouble with the clear coat and some chipping if anyone is wondering where the final pics are. I'll have her done in the next couple days though for sure. :) 

Update 10-31: Or not LOL;) .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  7. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Hey all. I've updated the first post with my final pics and full list of parts and paints used.

Attached Files:

8. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Nice work!

9. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

This is really awesome work

10. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Thanks Guys! It was a lot of work and I appreciate the compliments.

11. Ronbot1986

Ronbot1986 Golden Age

Very cool. Great build and painting! I just finished Storm. Building a custom Xteam. X23 is one on my list. U did awesome! Going for 8 team force 4 Xlady's 4 Xmen. Good luck on future customs

12. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Looks really good. I know it is a huge pain trying to get Marvel legends prepped enough to not scrape paint off easily at the joints. I'm about to start another one myself using a very similar body (The new Phoenix figure) and I dread the amount of trimming, sanding, and washing it will take, only to likely still have some paint problem areas.

13. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Thanks guys! This reminds me that I need to take and post some updated pics. The Emma Frost head never looked quite right to me as Laura, so I bought a cast of the unmasked Silk head and painted it with pretty good results. I wasn't able to capture the expression and details exactly as I had imagined, but the head itself fits X-23 a heck of a lot better.

Also, I'm maybe half way done with the young Jean Grey custom I mentioned in the first post to go with her. I've been going pretty strong on it lately without burning out so hopefully I'll get it done and post it soon too.

• Like Like x 1