Marvel Jetfire was pretty lacklustre.

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Bass X0, May 13, 2010.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    His origin about being the first Transformer created on Earth may have been interesting at the time but later stories from Dreamwave and IDW have really fleshed his history out in a much more interesting way. Marvel Jetfire barely had any cool scenes after he was introduced and quickly became another face in the crowd. It took the Marvel UK comics to address his faction switching (Dinobot Hunt), first generation Earthern Transformer (The Gift) and his semi-leadership role (Target: 2006), but even those didn't go into much depth and wasn't really brought up again. Plus, without his scientist persona, Jetfire just wasn't the Jetfire we've come to associate with the G1 character. Although yes, I know Budiansky and even Furman wouldn't have known the direction the character would take later on.

Does anyone agree? Or does Marvel Jetfire have some hidden quality aspects?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    No, sadly he was a pretty uninteresting character in the marvel comics, compared to many other members of the cast. If anything, his highpoint was in giving us more insight into Autobot culture as a newcomer.

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Most characters in the old Marvel comic was pretty lackluster. I went thru comic dryspells without much regret or remorse. It wasn't until the last few issues- up to issue 80 (& Generation 2) that the characters got very interesting.

All IMO.

4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Budiansky was being asked to introduce crowds of new characters in practically every issue. ANY character who got some character development should consider themselves lucky.

5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not really anyone's fault. It's been stated by Budianski in several interviews that Hasbro was telling him to introduce like 12 new characters every month, so he couldn't really focus on developing any of them. Hell, really the only characters that got any real development were Shockwave and maybe Blaster for a while.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's not like the G1 cartoon Jetfire was developed beyond his first appearance of 'I crashed. I'm a scientist and pals with Starscream. I'm now a Decepticon. Now I'm an Autobot. Now I'm a flying bus' either.
    Everything that Jetfire ever did of worth in that run of animation was in that first episode of him, and a little when they dug him out to start his career as transport.

He got plenty enough characterisation in the Marvel comics. Personally I don't think much new has been done with him through Dreamwave and IDW that hadn't already been established back in the G1 days.

7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to disagree!! Let's see, the comics (I'm counting the UK stories of course) gave us definitive versions of Shockwave, Blaster, Ultra Magnus, Fort Max, Soundwave and many others. Unlike the cartoon, the comic made a concerted effort to include as many of the toyline as possible e.g. deluxe Insecticons, the Deluxe Autobots, Jumpstarters etc.

As for Jetfire - the OP kind of answered his own question. Jetfire's fifteen minutes came in "Dinobot Hunt", "Target: 2006" and "The Gift". He gets a decent showing in all of them - I loved the exploration of his loyalties being to Earth rather than the Autobots. And let's face it, he didn't get anything better in the cartoon.

It's hardly fair to compare IDW and DW with Marvel or the cartoon series. The latter two had a mandate of promoting new toys and being aimed at a 6-10 demographic, whereas the former have the luxury of catering to fanboys who've waited years for more 'adult' takes on the mythos and characterisation.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Fixed.