marvel G1

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by VigilanteX9, Apr 27, 2006.

1. VigilanteX9

VigilanteX9 that guy...

I'm thinking about picking up trades of marvel's g1 tf comic. Which trades do you guys think are good reads?

2. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

In my personal opinion go with the UK trades

I'll assume you've read some or all of the US 80 issue run.But would bet you've never read the UK stories.

Therefore for you the UK stories would be fresh new stories you've never read.Thus being a smart purchase

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    If it's written by Bob Budiansky and doesn't feature the original miniseries or the Return to Cybertron two-parter, avoid it. If it's written by Furman, go ahead and enjoy.

5. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Furman old school G1 rocks, especially his UK stuff. The only Budiansky G1 stuff I enjoyed were 1-15 and issue 25 which featured my favorite battle.

6. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

G1 fell apart around the time of the HeadMasters and PowerMasters from #38-42. It became childish drivel from that point thru Simon's debut in #56.

A lot of people bitch about the run from 26-37, but if you get the material cheap enough it's still a fun bit o' comics. And it had lots of character development for Goldbug & Blaster, who became the defacto stars of the series after Prime & Megatron died. And if you can accept the color limitations of that era (which have sadly been reproduced faithfully in every modern reprinting), you will probably still enjoy it.

The HeadMasters mini-series is worth reading

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i concur that during the whole blaster and goldbug running from grimlock run, twas some inspired writing. kudos uncle bob!

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Have a pint of schnapps before reading "Car Wash of Doom" and you'll be fine.

9. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Yeah, go for the u.k.! To me it is the best tfs stories on paper available. The earlist trades to me of the u.k. are the best because it has the coolest characters like the cars, seekers, and a lot more of the orginal gang. I really disliked tf comics after the whole masters intros though I did like most of Furman's latter U.S. g1 run. The best tf trade of all to me is without doubt Target:2006. It had everything a transfan could want out of one story and galatron is just plain unstopable!

10. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Yeah, car wash of doom may be worse that the orginal g1 episode carnage in c minor! It is terrible, almost as if it was written by a 5 year old and drawn by a 7 year old.

11. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Bob didn't write the first four issues, not to mention that the Shockwave/Megatron/Ratchet stuff between that and Smelting Pool is pretty much the best material in the US run outside of Furman.

I'll second that. Its not as great as it was, but its still a worthwile read up until the Pretender and Micromaster shitfests.

Carwash isn't even remotely the worst story of the US run in either department, despite the tired and transparent cliche that people still rattle out for ZOMG value or when they havent even read everything (or anything at all in some cases).

12. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I stand corrected. And yeah, the Ratchet arc was pretty good.

The Mechanibulls story and the issue where the Micromaster becomes a pro wrestler are the all-time low points, if you ask me. Carwash of Doom looks like frickin' Watchmen next to those.

13. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

The mechanic storyline was a travesty, I think that was kind of a low point for me. The scraplets arc was unique, and I enjoyed it at the time. This was one of those stories that showed the series had some variety, which was largely lacking in the toon.

The Headmasters mini was surprisingly... decent, at least until they made it to earth. Things started falling apart with the build up to the underbase saga that basically saw the old standby's replaced by characters I could give a rats ass about.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Of course there's worse than "Carwash." But peppermint schnapps is uniquely qualified to improve the experience. I think the mechanic storyline requires a vodka/red bull of some sort. And King Grimlock? Pass the tequila there, Pablo.

No, YOU shut up! I can quit anytime I want!!

*bolts*