Marvel G1 Continuity

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by NeilJam, Jul 16, 2009.

1. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

Now that I've finally gotten graphic novel reprints of the last 12 issues, I am going to read through my original G1 Marvel collection again. I was wondering if anyone can clarify if I have the order correct when including the GI Joe crossover and Headmasters limited series.

I figure it should be:

TF 1-23

GI Joe & TF 1 - Optimus Prime in story

TF 24 - Optimus dies

GI Joe & TF 2 - Megatron in Story

TF 25-26 - Megatron dies

GI Joe & TF 3-4 - refers to Prime's funeral in TF 26, Bumblebee rebuilt as Goldbug

TF 27-31

Headmaster 1-3 - could probably wait and read all 4 issues together, but will break up the story

TF 32, 35-37 - skip 33-34 w/ reprints of UK story

Headmasters 4

TF 38-42, 44-80 - skip TF 43 cartoon episode adaptation

Can anyone see anything wrong with this ordering? Are there any other issues that aren't actually part of this G1 continuity like 43?

I didn't see any references to current TF comic events in Headmasters, or vice versa, until the mention of the message received in HM 4 (sent in TF 37), then the Headmasters show up in TF 38.

2. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    Do you wanna have that all thrown into the wall and include the UK Marvel stories?

3. NeilJam

I have no plans on getting any UK issues at this time, just concerned with the US Marvel series.

4. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

i would just go to tfwiki and follow their order if i were you.

5. NeilJam

I can't find anything on tfwiki about where (or when) the Headmasters and GI Joe & Transformers limited series fit in continuity with the regular TF comics. I looked there for this info before starting a thread here.

I know some of it is kinda odd with having Prime and Megatron in the GI Joe crossover with it starting around the times of their deaths in the comics.

Also, at the end of Headmasters 4 it says it is continued in Transformers 38, but since Autobots on Earth receive a transmission in issue 37 that was sent in Headmasters 4, it should certainly be the next issue after Headmasters. Other than the stories converging, there doesn't seem to be any footnotes in the Headmasters series that refers back to the main Transformers comics.

6. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

If you start from the issue 1 page ( The Transformers (issue - Transformers Wiki) ) they have double arrows up in the right hand corner of the info box and you can follow them for the US storyline or UK. Of course I thought their US line included the mini-series like the UK one does, but I was wrong.

Now, what I found on tfwiki pretty much aligns with your original layout in the first post so I would go with that. You're not going to get a perfectly flowing story with the GI Joe cross-over (nor do I remember it being very good). The way you have Headmasters set up works and seems to be the way the books were ordered in the UK.

7. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

If I recall its because they came out the same month. So one does not really come before the other more like they happen at the same time which is why in headmasters 4 it says continued in 38 because 37 was on the shelf at the same time. I think. To be honest the last time I read those issues was when they came out.

8. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

Transformers Generation 1
    - Transformers and GI Joe
    - Transformers: Headmasters

Transformers Generation 2

9. Victory Leo

Victory Leo Well-Known Member

Yeah your good. But make sure to throw in GI Joe 139-142 and G2 after 80.

As for the UK they have a different GI Joe crossover, a different way Bubblebee becomes Goldbug, way more stories, and more confusion.

Victory Leo

10. NeilJam

I had it wrong, TF #37 is before HM #4. I thought the transmission was the opposite direction, but in Headmasters #4 Autobots on Nebulos receive a message sent in Transformers #37.

11. NeilJam

A friend just gave me GI Joe #141, and I have G2 issue #1, but that's it. Have to find the reprints of those too.

12. Victory Leo

I forget if they reprinted the GI Joes but I know the TF G2's were reprinted though finding the GI Joe's can be easy. It is after 142 that they get expensive.

Victory Leo

13. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

none of the G2/GIJOE issues ever got reprinted.. it remains to be seen if IDW will do so.. seeing as GIJOE basically totally ignores them after 142 (143 is even made from an abandoned script from way previously in the series) It would be better to include them in an eventual Generation 2 reprint than in the " Classic GIJOE " reprints..

14. Victory Leo

No, Titan reprinted the G2 books. I have at least one of them. From the TF wiki, since it came up first in Google:

Transformers: Dark Designs
    Collects: Marvel Transformers: Generation 2 #1–6 (UK #3–5)
    ISBN 1-84023-525-X
    ISBN 1-84023-527-6 (hardcover)
    Omits: Marvel Transformers: Generation 2 #0 — Promotional issue taking place prior to #1, "Ghosts" was not part of the ongoing storyline. This story was also re-printed as a backup story in Transformers: Generation 2 #2. It is not collected elsewhere.

Transformers: Rage in Heaven
    Collects: Marvel Transformers: Generation 2 #7–12
    ISBN 1-84023-528-4
    ISBN 1-84023-577-2 (hardcover)

And I agree IDW shouldn't include those ... just in the GI Joe Classics, but completists will want all the issues and it does pick up threads from issues 134 and some even earlier.

Victory Leo

15. Victory Leo

But in reading your post Ginrai I see you didn't say the G2 proper series didn't get reprinted. My mistake.

Victory Leo

16. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

yes, I was only referring to the Crossover issues.

Titan did reprint all of the G2 episodes proper.. and miscolored the pages in Issue #2 with the Joes in it.. I assume to avoid likeness rights?

as my understanding the " Concept " of those issues as explained by Devil's Due comics .. was that all of the Giant Robots were the product of Dr. Mindbenders recently re-formed brain from the cloning process.

Its dodgy and I don't subscribe to it. I prefer to stop paying attention to the GIJOE comics sometime after the Cobra Civil War.. as the Issues with DEF/ECO/Battleforce2000 etc annoy me to no end..

17. Victory Leo

I'd say good guess. Wish they could have done that with Spidey in the G1 issues from IDW.

I have all the originals but their reprints leaving out whole issues bugs me.

Victory Leo

18. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

I'm just beginning to read the Marvel G1 series. This thread will definitely come in handy. I'm still a newbee with the comics, but is it just me but after reading a couple issues of the comics, it makes the G1 cartoon series look like a joke?

19. Victory Leo

In which sense? The idea that it treats the subject matter more seriously? Yes ... yes it does and if you are reading the US stuff the beginning barely scratches the surface.

Victory Leo

20. trystendaycey

trystendaycey Captain CAAAAAAVEMAAANNN!

I too am a G1 comic noob, so please help me out: Where are the last 12 issues (or anything else after issue 61 in the IDW TBP) reprinted? Thanks!