Marvel G1 Comics Sequel?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Magnum Dongus, Sep 1, 2017.

1. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, if it's officially stated to be a continuation, it's an official continuation. If we're not going to trust the official word, who are we going to trust?

Yes but see, it's back then. G2 was the one, true ending back then (excluding that UK annual story), canon can be changed. For all intents and purposes, Simon Furman wrote RG1 to be the proper ending to the original series.

Yeah, I hated that part.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

For all intent and purposes Furman's word about RG 1 being a proper ending means nothing but a promotional material. Furman himself dropped the ball so hard and so many times in RG 1 that it doesn't even look as if he had any idea where he's heading with the plot let alone if it's any proper way.

Appeal to authority doesn't work here because Marvel's TFs are closed project of the old days and IDW owning rights to TF comic books can't change that. No amount of editorial PR can erase what was. What was a true ending "back then" didn't disappear and one can't have two "true" endings at the same time. One of them has to be alternate one.

When Marvel or DC are changing their canon it's made either for a long time running continuity that did not stop or comes with continuity resets like the Infinite Crisis.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TFFan01

News Credits:
    It doesn't matter if Marvel's a closed project, is it a written rule that you can't write new canon to old projects? Do the Star Wars prequels not count simply because they came 16 years after the originals? Or how about the changed versions of the original SW movies (which are the ones considered canon)? Canon is canon and it is the owner of the property's call to decide it.

Of course one can't erase the G2 comic book from existence, but they can erase the storyline from canon. Appeal to authority is valid in this case.

Yes, which is G2, since RG1 overwrote it.

Does that matter? In his mind, he tried to write the proper ending to the series.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime Mostly harmless.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think it's quit straightforward to pick the 'end' that suits you best? Don't like RG1? Ignore it, or use one of the other endings/continuations that have all been official one point or another. At this point we're unlikely to get more Marvel G1 continuity comics to contradict your preference.

The use of time travel and resetting the future timeline post Time Wars pretty much allows for all versions to coexist anyway. You can run straight through to the end of US G1, ignoring the Earthforce stories, or you can take the series as splitting after Time Wars, with the Earthforce stories picking up post-Primal Scream, taking longer for Unicron to find Cybertron which leads into the movie and rebooted future universe, ignoring the end of the US run, G2 and RG1.

G2/RG1 come down to personal preference.
    Furman even establishes alternate timelines in RG1 to allow for it! You could even just end G1 at US #80, if you so wish.

• Like Like x 3
  5. TFFan01

News Credits:
    Yeah, we even see Hot Rod from the G2 comic in one panel.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Remember how in the Headmasters miniseries they removed their heads and bioengineered the Nebulans to be their new heads? The Scorponok in RG1 is the "original" Scorponok, with a new body identical to his old one.

7. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Active Member

I want to die.
    I suppose that this might make it better. "Scorponok's" death at the hands of Unicron could really serve as the redemption and death of Zarak, while Scorponok was always bad...?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they wanted to bring Scorponok back from the dead, I did think this was the best way to do it. It doesn't undo or betray any of the character growth and development of the Zarak Scorponok.

• Like Like x 3
  9. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I like this post, not just because of the logic, but because of the weird vitriol of the other responses. I, overall, was disappointed by RG1. Doesn't mean I want to kick Simon Furman in the balls or whatever.

OP, do yourself a favor. If you're able, read G1 with the UK stuff if you can... read G2... and then maybe google up Alignment or heck, even Eugenesis (even tho' there's some extra fanfic canon baggage that goes along with it). Even check out RG1 (again, if you're able) just to see a different take. The point of G1, despite some of the weirdness in here is that IT NEVER ENDS.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Active Member

That's Simon Furman's unofficial continuation of G2, right?

11. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    IMO there really is no good continuation to the G1 comics. Marvel G2 is official, coming from the same publisher and written by Furman, but was terrible and truncated. Regeneration One reads like an especially bad extended "What If?" (if you remember that series from Marvel - "Here's what might have happened and how the story could have ended so much worse!"). The Club comics are very few and also not particularly well written, either.

Do yourself a favor and just ignore any post-1991 G1 fiction entirely. It's all terrible. G1 ended with Star Convoy battling Super Megatron and with Micromaster combiners (in Japan) and Action Master Prime chasing the `Cons off Klo (in the US). Anything beyond that point is an exercise in disappointment.

• Like Like x 1
  13. unicron1986

unicron1986 Well-Known Member

G2 suffered from really bad art to what happened to ratchet,shockwave,and the rest of the autobots in stasis still aboard the ark,RG1 answered all that and had better art but added the decepticons from the underbase casulties contradicting the original run which only had decepticon megatron in stasis aboard the ark.But still make mine marvel.

14. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

RG1 had better art? Yes once Wildman finished. Growing up on Marvel UK, Geoff Senior was my favourite Transformers artist but I didn't like his work in RG1. It seemed more cartoony.

I did like the G2 art. Better story too. RG1 took the most interesting thing from Spike, his bonding to Fortress Maximus, and turned him into a second rate version of Circuit Breaker.

Megatron was better in G2, closer to his Combiner Wars self. He was just a one dimensional villain in RG1 and the Decepticons reduced to zombies was terrible.

Plus we got more Wreckers and Kup thrown in our faces by IDW and I've always found those characters overrated.

I did like Hot Rod's journey to becoming Rodimus Prime though it would have been nice to see him interact with Galvatron.

Personally, I'd have avoided the cliche of Galvatron being mad. He's always better when sane as in the movie, Enemy Action and Target 2006. I'd have had him befriend Hot Rod during the 20 year peace time, telling him of his destiny in his future.

I also liked seeing Blurr using his speed effectively in combat.

Overall though, I will say that every continuation, in fact every Transformers series, have their good points.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Compare...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I personally think that the old Marvel comic looks more appealing than RG1. Maybe because I was actually there when the old comics were new. Sure RG1 has a greater variety of color but the main thing is I think, Marvel was trying to be the best they can be at the time, while RG1 was intentionally holding itself back to appear retro but ends up a mish-mash of old and new. I can feel the energy and emotion more from the old comic in the above panel more so than the above panel from RG1. I think the RG1 panel looks like a poster pin-up of Optimus Prime punching Megatron, but with Ratchet punching Starscream, it tells more of a story in a single panel of artwork. Also, I think that the smaller box works better for the Marvel comic than having two characters surrounded by open space like in RG1. The other panels on the page are closer and tighter packed in Marvel that it just feels faster pacer because of that. And the background of the Marvel comic while mostly white also has lines of energy and power that the RG1 panel lacks - RG1 just has a colorful background which adds nothing to the action happening in the foreground.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Has anyone mentioned "Another Time & Place" from the 1991/1992 UK annual? It was published I believe a year and a half before G2, so if anything it's the work that should be considered the "original" continuation. There is no "One True Continuation" though, they all take place in alternate universal streams in-canon, as opposed to being layers of superceding retcons.
    As someone who was hit hard by that too, yes. Yes they did.

[Once you finish UK G1 I recommend checking out James Roberts' Eugenesis novel as well, although it is technically a fanwork.]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  17. unicron1986

Lastdaysofoptimusprime.jpg tumblr_nhwqxvkIGV1smohwwo2_1280.jpg tumblr_nhwqxvkIGV1smohwwo3_1280.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  18. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know what's great about this ending? It has that personal touch. It's an ending for Prime & Megatron as characters & rivals, not for the TFs as a species. These other continuations or endings try to go too big, which has always been Furman's problem. He always wants to do the big epic cosmic-level stuff beyond the scope of human comprehension, when something more down-to-Earth & personal would do way better.

• Like Like x 3
  19. unicron1986

Believe it or not this was written by Furman for some convention transforce 2000,I call it a true better ending to the G1 transformers.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe it. It's just funny that of all his attempts to do a proper ending, spanning multiple issues & doing big story arcs, this one page finale is the best of them all.

• Like Like x 1