Marvel G1 Comics Sequel?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Magnum Dongus, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Member

A few years ago, I decided to prepare myself for the next Transformers movie (TF4) by looking at the source material (I'm a younger fan, so I didn't grow up during G1). I started watching the original cartoon on Netflix (until the monsters took it off when I was just one episode away from finishing season 2), and also decided to start reading the comics. Now, I could appreciate the cartoon for what it was, but when I got into the comics, I knew it was the way to go for me. There was a continuity going throughout each issue right from the beginning, it had a more serious tone than the show, and (later in the run) had beautiful artwork by Geoff Senior. It, in fact, is what made me realize that the Bayformer movies could use some improvement (that's an understatement, but I digress). Cut to a few years later, and I have only two issues left. I have been thinking about where to go next, how does the war end once and for all? The only issue is: there are too many timelines after Marvel G1. I've heard that the UK comics explore the future of the war, but with 332 issues, that just might be an issue in and of itself. I also have heard that G2, Transformers Classics, and Regeneration One are all sequels too, but they contradict each other as well as the future that is mentioned in Marvel UK.

So, as a tl;dr of sorts, what is considered the official sequel to Marvel US's run of The Transformers, or what is most highly recommended?

2. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

The UK comics were considered an alternate universe

Personally I feel the marvel G2 is the appropriate sequel because it was still print it through marvel

Regeneration one while enjoyable I always felt was a bit off mainly because it was printed my IDW but that's just my personal right

I didn't know that classics was considered separate if I am They are just reprints of the old marvel books

And none of these correspond with the original G1 cartoon

3. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime Mostly harmless.

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The UK Earthforce stuff sits outside of G1 comic continuity. The future stuff still works, but is incredibly dated by now being set in our past.

G2 is the original sequel to G1 from Marvel, and is great. Regen One replaces it (and a lot if the UK continuity). It's not as bad as some make out, but it suffers from being stylistically different (5 issue arcs, modern writing techniques etc) that really mark it out as a later work.

I assume by Classics you mean the Club comics? They're another continuation, that again ignores G2 and the UK stuff. There's not much of it and it's more of a curio than amything else.

4. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I want a Regeneration 2 series.

#81 - #82: New issues set after the original Marvel G1 comic which leads straight into the G2 comic
    #83 - #94: The original G2 comic
    #95 - #100: New issues focusing on the aftermath of the original G2 comic.

• Like Like x 2
  5. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

Regeneration One was a good read, but as others have mentioned, was a bit rushed as a limited series and with the five issue story arcs.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Look, I love the G2 comics probably a lot more than they deserve, Earthforce has some really cool moments with some of my favorite characters, and Regeneration One was a great opportunity. But frankly, none of them recaptured that Marvel G1 magic, so if we've tried the same thing three times with less than fantastic results, why not put our efforts towards a new path?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bass X0

News Credits:
    This is what we get when they follow a new path.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Member

To clear this up, yes, by "Classics" I meant the Collector's Club Comics that came out to accompany the Classics toyline. And as for the Classics that Altered Prime mentioned, yeah those are just trade paperbacks of the original, not a different continuity. Those are in fact the ones that I have been using to read Marvel G1.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up
    Could you point me to some information on the collectors club classic comic?

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:

Yes, that's one of the new paths theyve taken over the years. I didn't say it was a guarantee of success.

11. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Marvel's G2 comics were an official Marvel US G1 continuation coming from the same publisher.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bass X0

News Credits:
    So I'd rather they continue to try to capture the magic of the Marvel original series. Its not even that hard to do. Make each issue a self-contained story even when part of a multi-issue arc with a clearly defined beginning, middle and end. Throw in one or two pages showing what other characters are doing elsewhere that will be the focus of an upcoming issue. Also, PROGRESS THE STORY - DON'T HAVE CHARACTERS STANDING AROUND FOR FIVE ISSUES TALKING ABOUT THE SAME EXACT THING!! WRITE FOR THE SINGLE ISSUE, NOT FOR THE TRADE!

Unfortunately the writer of Regeneration One just threw out everything that made the old Marvel comics popular. Seriously, the 'writer' of Regeneration One should be kicked in the nuts for disrespecting Simon Furman's work on the Marvel comics from the 80s and early 90s.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you mean that it makes G2 more valid than RG1, I don't think that's true. Marvel lost the comicbook rights to Transformers a long time ago. Since Hasbro and IDW now own the rights to the old series, they can continue it in whichever way they please and it will be as valid to the original series as Marvel's G2, so it doesn't matter if it was originally Marvel that published both the original series and its sequel, G2.

14. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Of course it matters whether one likes it or not.

Marvel G2 was an official continuation to Marvel G1 coming with Marvel's GI Joe as a bridge. It was coming from the same writer and the same publisher and most importantly NOT decades after the G1 series finished.

Back then when it was still fresh.

Whoever got the rights later and produced alternative continuities and reboots doesn't matter.

Whether G2 was really good with all its grinning teeth and pouches and the rest of the exxxtreme deep nineties weirdness is another thing and a matter of taste.

RG 1 was a reboot that had problems deciding if it should be including UK continuity or not on top of simply rebooting things written by the same author decades ago. To a rather weak effect, in the end.

15. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The time it was written in doesn't matter. Let's say there's a fictional universe and there's a given information on it that's retconned later (by the same author or someone else), since the modern story retconned it, the old information has become invalid (just an example, I'm not implying that G2 is less valid than RG1)

Also, as far as I know, Marvel G.I Joe's later issues actually outright ignored the events of G2 (the destruction of San Francisco, for example) so I don't think that helps your argument, unless you have proof that the events were referenced later on.

Are you sure? It's technically the current owner's call to decide that.

I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible.

I recall Simon Furman saying that he referenced UK stories in some occasions but they're not canon since he's writing a sequel to the US comic, not the UK comic.

The way I see it, you could call both equally valid (or you could say that RG1 overwrote G2 to a different universe), they're just different endings, simple as that.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  16. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The OP should totally read the UK stuff. 332 issues may sound daunting, but roughly half of those issues were reprints of the American comics, and each issue only contained about 11 pages of Transformers strip. So really it's the equivalent of 75 standard US issues, in terms of page count.

And rather than being set in a parallel universe, they were written to dovetail with the American strips. For example, Target:2006 (the best known U.K. story) is set just after the US issue 'Showdown'. It's only at the far end (the Earthforce stuff) in which continuity goes awry, but if you squint a bit and ignore a couple of weird references the Earthforce stories could probably take place during the Matrix Quest anyway.

Plus, more Geoff Senior can only ever be a good thing.

Oh, and the G2 comics were great, read those too.

ReGeneration One was utterly rubbish, and worth reading only if you have a morbid curiosity and take twisted pleasure in seeing one of the greatest G1 arcs (Scorponok's redemption and death) being completely undermined in the most banal way possible.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

The current owner certainly can print something like that as an ad but it doesn't meant it has to be believed.

If current owners of the LoTR IP decided to hire someone to write a continuation now and made this kind of claim they probably wouldn't be taken very seriously. With RG 1 having advantage of hiring the same writer but not much more than that.
    If Generation 2 was considered its own separate continuity things would be different, but it was a continuation of G1 even as a toyline.

GIJoe retconned itself into a continuity without Transformers (and probably only for the best) but in terms or Marvel TF US comics there was continuity from G1 - GIJoe tie-ins - G2.

I'm not saying that G2 comic books were really good. They're kinda like an exercise in taking the nineties comic book tropes and hammering them into a TF book. Depends from the one's opinion about this era in comic books, but they can be considered as flawed as RG 1 is. But they're what we were given as a continuation back when both comic books and toylines were still going and everything modern is either branching continuity or rebooting it.

18. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Member

Was Target: 2006 the one involving Limbo? I read something about it on the TFWiki.
    Scorponok's death at the end of the Unicron war made me sad. Are you telling me they did something to mess that up?

19. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Member

I have Transformers: The Ultimate Guide and from what I've seen, the art looks really good. Although the teeth are weird for transformers to have, i think it makes it look cool.

20. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Tangentially, I guess? Basically, Galvatron travels back in time to the 1980s and causes havoc. It's great. As is Legacy of Unicron, for that matter.

Imagine for a moment that they brought him back to life as a mad scientist with an insane scheme to turn the Autobots evil by fiddling with robot DNA. Because, apparently, Transformers are inherently good or evil based on what kind of robot DNA they have, and therefore the Decepticons are just victims of bad genes and can't help the fact that they're evil.